Opinions 1985 3408, with 14,000 miles

Red Horse

How about it guys.  I am aware of a 359 that has that mileage. 13,161 to be exact!  I'm told  that the 3408 was a POS.  " Fuel hog-certainly by todays standards and also had crankshaft problems".   And to the skeptics-trust me -unusual situation, I sat in this thing-a true hangar queen, barn find- whatever.  I'm thinking this is  worth a lot of money as a truck you would put in service  but others with far more knowledge than I say it is s nice "antique"- not a truck you would want to run inspite of no def, no computers etc etc.-  all the reasons that made me think it was a better deal than a new truck.

Fire away.  And again-for real.  Not..." I know a guy whose uncle has a friend who has....blah blah"

There are 3408's still earning a living.  As for the "skeptics",  There are plenty of skeptics when it comes to the E9. And most of know of E9's trucken every day.  The cranks were only a problem if you abused them. Meaning turned up the fuel or lugged em.  As for me, I love a E9 or 3408. Nothing sounds  like em.  Sounds like a very cool old school truck to me. Even though it has a Hood.  😉

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

That same engine started out in scrapers and if memory serves 773 or triple 7's  they worked for years you just had to do take care of them. they were also used as powerplants for gen sets. Same as the 343  I used to work on air compressors powered by 343 engines lots of air. 16 graders had them in 769 off road trucks some scrapers and 983 loaders. Every engine made you can find some fault with them its just what you want to put up with as far as quirks each makes have. the 3408 was a big engine heavy it pulled good what engine from that era got the fuel mileage of today's engines.   

Sounds like a really cool truck.  I'm sure that 3408 will run fine for a long time if left in stock form and driven with care.   My only question is maintenance and repair.  Will you be local or long distance and "if" something happens will you be able to get parts(and afford it)?

I have a buddy from ATHS that bought an A model KW with 3408 to run OTR and that lasted about a year before he put a 3406 in it.  Pretty sure it was mileage that was killing him.  He doesn't run heavy and freight was not paying enough to support that old V8.  No matter how cool it was.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The truck junkyard I go to for parts had a real nice 3408 setting and I was up two sat. ago and jay said someone bought it to put in a truck I should of asked what they got for the engine. Dave just got an e-6 300 hp that looks pretty clean in with a trany on the back I couldn't make out the year jay was busting me to bring back the one I got off them and put this one in I told him I got what money can't buy poverty. The last place I worked we run cat engines the company went down to two tractors one had a c12 and the other c15 the trucks were freightliners and the drivers liked to run the bigger engine of the two. I always use to spec 3406's in the triaxles and the tractor trailers years gone by but moved over to the c12's and c13's