Mack R headlight panel differences

Just put in my New LED headlights and I noticed when removing my panels that they mount a little diffrent from what I see are sold today.  Mine are held in with 4 screws (one at each corner) where the panels I see for sale on Ebay have a tab that sticks out on one side that looks like it locates into a slot and then on the other side of the panel there are 2 screw holes next to the headlight for what I assume is to hold it in place. was there a update to the panels between the Mack westerns and the R models. this is new to me?

The Western style hoods did use a different and shorter headlamp panel. They were retained by four screws in the corners. All four of mine are that way. The eastern R model hoods used two screws in each outer corner opposite he "tab" which was to the center of the hood panel.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I know I have extra panels for the eastern style hoods. I'll compare them tomorrow to the western hood panels and see if they can be modified.

Looks like your still parked at the same place?

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

4 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

No truck moved about 6-7 years ago. then again 4 years ago. we moved homes as well. still close to the yard

I don't get that way much any longer now that son has moved to Wheaton. Usually go up 355 jumping off at Geneva and just a few minutes to his house from there. Now retired I have a bit of free time so if you want a hand with a repaint I may be able to conjure up some memories, (nightmares) of my time in that business..... 

Thanks Rob...Would love to but I want to get the truck under shed before I start fixing it up again. We are in the process of moving. hope to get some property where I can keep all my junk on it and get a shed built to keep a few restored trucks under.  its only money as they say LOL. are you still just out side of peoria? I know you were talking about moving but cant recall if you did or not. Im going to springfield for the ATHS show.  will you be there?

4 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

Thanks Rob...Would love to but I want to get the truck under shed before I start fixing it up again. We are in the process of moving. hope to get some property where I can keep all my junk on it and get a shed built to keep a few restored trucks under.  its only money as they say LOL. are you still just out side of peoria? I know you were talking about moving but cant recall if you did or not. Im going to springfield for the ATHS show.  will you be there?

Yes, I will be there with hopefully three of my trucks. I'm still in Farmington. Grand daughters have kinda kept me sticking in this area although I'd really like to move a bit east and north say along I-80 and I-39 to be about equidistant from both son, and daughter's families.

I retired two years ago next month and haven't looked back. Still settling in really. Know what you mean about keeping things together. Had things spread all over god's creation for a lot of years and with everything in one place can't walk a straight line from front to back in the shop but it gives me something to do.....

I did not get a chance to compare the panels today but did dig out an extra set to use as a baseline. I'll need to pull a panel from one of my RL797 trucks to see if they are the same height wise. IIRC there were three different "embossing" patterns to the panels. Get me a good clear photo of what you have and I'll see if I can find an extra pair to match. Pretty sure you have the crosshatch pattern from my limited memory, but I have slept since seeing them last.

Those panels on Eastern and Western R's are completely different. Eastern ones are MUCH longer and I"m afraid (not sure) are less of the higth (narrower). Also Western parts were made of alu and had surface stamped by leaned lines which cross each other.

Eastern panels were different as I said but what's important (to Eastern R owners) they were at least 3 (known to me) styles. Early ones were alu with four (some with six) holes for screws in the corners. The surface was of horizontal stamped lines combining polished and ground (sand-scratched) areas. Those were installed (as I could figure) on early hoods on non-CMAC trucks. The trucks with aircooler (longer hoods) purchased newer panels which were made of stainless steel. The same general design but as I was told by some owners of early R's those newer panels were less in size and didn't fit early hood opening really good. But that's not the end of the list. Later panels were of two different styles too. If you look at pics of Eastern R's you can notice some trucks had framings over the headlight openings in the hood and some didn't. I can't state those parts were installed from/to a sertain production year, more seem to me as an alternative factory option. Nevermind. The panels were different. Those which were used with no framings had four screw holes in the corners. And those which were supposed to be combined with frames had a sticking end at one side (toward the grill) to be slicked in below the framing and two screws in the corners at the outer side. And that is the style (and probably the only one) which you can currently purchase new. They're made by PAI and could be found on ebay etc. Part ## are FPA-5774 for the LH (with a square hole for pre-heater socket) and FPA-5773 for the RH (looking from driving direction) with no hole and you can use on the both sides if no heater to be installed. There's an issue if you're going to use those panels on a hood with no framings (as I did). First you need to cut off that sticking area. Than you find the two holes in the corners at the outer side don't correspond with ones in the hood. Seems like new holes were designed the screws to get into the framing not straight to the hood. And if you try to just put screws they get into the headlight opening not the fiberglass. So some kind of offset plates are needed to be made. And you sure need two more holes to drill at the grill side too.

22water__02009.1365695704.1280.1280.jpg

9638565_orig_resize.jpg

Mack Aluminum Trim 116QS456.1_resize.jpg

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 1/12/2020 at 11:03 PM, Rob said:

The Western style hoods did use a different and shorter headlamp panel. They were retained by four screws in the corners. All four of mine are that way. The eastern R model hoods used two screws in each outer corner opposite he "tab" which was to the center of the hood panel.

The older Mack eastern had the tab, the newer Mack eastern did not have a tab.

Lots of good info Rob. I did not know there were so many variations of the panels.. Mine are pretty beat up. I think they were left lose for many years as each bolt hole is either oval or had broke thru to the edge. The lower fiberglass was rounded out as well so I had to use some Epoxy to fill in the holes and then re drill them. I was going to re mount them with rubber well nuts but the holes are to close to the corners.  If you have 2 good used ones you want to let go let me know. not looking for perfect just ones that have good mounting holes.

14 minutes ago, ranchhopper said:

I took my old ones off the RS and made a new set out of 1/16 inch polished aluminum diamond plate I had a lot of compliments on them.

Yes I recall you had them. They did look good.

I might just and find some aluminum plate with the similar stock pattern and cut them out. They will be painted flat black just like what I have now.  

1 hour ago, Lmackattack said:

Yes I recall you had them. They did look good.

I might just and find some aluminum plate with the similar stock pattern and cut them out. They will be painted flat black just like what I have now.  

You can still use the diamond plate just flip it over and paint the smooth back side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranchhopper said:

You can still use the diamond plate just flip it over and paint the smooth back side.

Though I've not worked with 16ga aluminum treadplate I remember, I've not seen any that is smooth on the back side either thicker, or thinner. All have had roll marks/depressions from the forming with the rolling mill dies.

I was going to offer to weld up the holes if wanting to stay with the original look.  

I sectioned a hood on a 71 R685 years ago and the new fender I installed was different than the original hood. Seems like there were four fasteners in one side and six in the other, but owner didn't care as it was a dump truck and needed to work.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:49 AM, ranchhopper said:

Nice look could be achieved if you paint a diamond plate and than sand off the paint on the tops of ribs.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

19 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Nice look could be achieved if you paint a diamond plate and than sand off the paint on the tops of ribs.

Years ago I worked in an elevator manufacturing plant. They had trim and moulding panels anodized, and then would sand the tops with a large horizontal belt sander. Made the annunciator panels and push button escutcheon plates stand out.

I have one similar to the pair above that measures 15.75" X 8.5" with the 6 mounting holes.  I think it may fit an F model COE but I have never confirmed that.  I usually forget I even have it stuck between a couple of boxes on a shelf.

Another use might be the DMM where the panel is mounted vertically.

Mack DMM.JPG

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.