2000 RD688S 400 Etech turned up!!!!!!!!!

DBGraves

Posting for a friend of mine 

He has a Etech 400 with stage 2 injectors and the S475 turbo. Thing is A beast. It gets a little hot on long pulls. So now his exhaust manifold has cracked. I’ve seen on here somewhere where a guy put a older style E7 manifold on because the ports where bigger. 

Can anyone help and point me in the direction of that post. 

35 minutes ago, DBGraves said:

Posting for a friend of mine 

He has a Etech 400 with stage 2 injectors and the S475 turbo. Thing is A beast. It gets a little hot on long pulls. So now his exhaust manifold has cracked. I’ve seen on here somewhere where a guy put a older style E7 manifold on because the ports where bigger. 

Can anyone help and point me in the direction of that post. 

He should already be there with that model year the exhaust mod is for AI egr engines! 

Ok. I didn’t know if it had it or not. I was just trying to help him out. Thanks for your time and the information fjh  

Is there anything he can do to keep his manifold from cracking again. He watches the pyro constantly. 

I’ve heard of changing one side of the turbo to make it spool faster. 

My '95 E7 350 engine wants the pyro to stay below 1025, whereas my old '79 endt676 wants the pyro to stay below 1125. Not sure what # he is staying below.  Also the '79 has a cab decal saying to idle the truck 3 minutes before shutdown. Helps the engine components to regulate temperature and cool down a bit after working.

I have the stage 3 injectors in my 2000RD 400 with the 427 turbo. I changed out the radiator with a better flowing aluminum one. Pyro never goes above 1000. Stage 3 are 90+hp and I believe ever bit of it.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

When you guys are referring to stage 2 or 3, whos injectors are you using?  Did you put bigger turbo on with injectors?  I've done two Mack E7 400's with Rochester parts.  Both made a tremendous difference. My pyrometer never gets high.  My first one was 2.5 injectors.  The second one, which I still own, is a stage 3.  It passed a smoke test with no problem.  

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

I’ve been chatting with “CV7132005” and he also hasn’t been able to tame the 2.5 Rochester’s he put in his AMI-370. Temps are erratic and high. Checked and confirmed just about everything is in order. He talk to you O.R.Mack? 

He did, im kinda stumped on it.  Only thing I can figure is the turbo isn't exactly right for that setup, but that's hard to say not knowing exactly what they did to come up with their injector stages.  Need to know what's been done so the turbo can be mapped right and everything works in harmony.  That's not saying the turbo is the wrong size, but the minute changes in the pitch and length of the compressor wheel blades can make big changes in power and temps.  I say that from experience, we tried a couple different wheels trying to see if there was anymore to gain out of it and ended right back where the math told us to be.  The "higher performing" blades we tried resulted in higher temps and less power.

Edited by OldRedMack
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, OldRedMack said:

He did, im kinda stumped on it.  Only thing I can figure is the turbo isn't exactly right for that setup, but that's hard to say not knowing exactly what they did to come up with their injector stages.  Need to know what's been done so the turbo can be mapped right and everything works in harmony.  

Yup, that’s where I was too, particularly with intermittently heating worse on certain copycat hauls. It’s a boots-on-the-ground fix for that truck. 

Rochester matched that turbo to those injectors. I don’t want to use a mechanical/financial tragedy for personal agenda......but I did ask CV7132005 to copy cat yours before going out on the limb. Best I can tell Burrens has been having good luck, no news means good news most of the time. 

Edited by Mack Technician

Do you have a gauge for boost?  What are you reading on those long pulls when pyro goes up?  My boost snaps up to 35 PSI and stays there.  Rochester's turbo is $2,200.  Well worth it.  Have you smoke tested the truck since the new injectors?

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

Yup, that’s where I was too, particularly with intermittently heating worse on certain copycat hauls. It’s a boots-on-the-ground fix for that truck. 

Rochester matched that turbo to those injectors. I don’t want to use a mechanical/financial tragedy for personal agenda......but I did ask CV7132005 to copy cat yours before going out on the limb. Best I can tell Burrens has been having good luck, no news means good news most of the time. 

The one other thing I think about is air flow.  The turbo and injectors could be matched perfectly, but the filter is too restrictive or the 3" inlet on the compressor housing is not enough.  Maybe re-working the piping and putting on a 5" "race" housing could create enough volume to satisfy it?

16 hours ago, OldRedMack said:

The one other thing I think about is air flow.  The turbo and injectors could be matched perfectly, but the filter is too restrictive or the 3" inlet on the compressor housing is not enough.  Maybe re-working the piping and putting on a 5" "race" housing could create enough volume to satisfy it?

Log Dog's doing it with a standard E-Tech 460 turbo, stock filter and tight snorkel. Dunno the solution, hopefully its listed when he gets it straight.

My friends injectors are stock with the 2 stage tip I think he said 104 tip. There is I think 98,104 ,112 tips. And he has a Detroit 60 turbo witch I believe is a borg Warner s475 but his doesn’t have the smaller exhaust side housing for faster spool so it lags some and smokes. But when it catches up to its self she pullllllllssssss!!!  His exhaust manifold I believe cracked from heat. 

The radiator would help, I think he would benefit from a smaller exhaust housing to make air faster. 

On 12/18/2019 at 9:56 PM, GOOG said:

Do you have a gauge for boost?  What are you reading on those long pulls when pyro goes up?  My boost snaps up to 35 PSI and stays there.  Rochester's turbo is $2,200.  Well worth it.  Have you smoke tested the truck since the new injectors?

Could of got a s475 (1.32ar on ours) for 700 or less and pull 42 or more psi. On the 93 with stg2 injectors and blixxton it pulls 35 @1250-1300 and 42-43 @1400

Edited by brettj3876

JoeH. I don’t think it goes by horsepower. I don’t know exactly what the numbers for the nozzles are for . Maybe It’s the rate of flow over stock nozzles. As far as horsepower that he has?the truck has never been dynoed so he has no idea. And I’m just relaying msg man. I bet one of the techs on here would know. And I don’t think he has 600 plus H.P. she runs good tho. 

Edited by DBGraves
Left out a thought