1969 Mack R700ST

Pretty sure the air cleaner is stock. My friend just bought a 8V-71 powered R-700 with that air cleaner and was told it was stock for the R-700 with 8V-71's.

Well by sucking it in close the lid looks stock...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh OK thanks for that I bet you satisfied a lot of our curiosity like most of the fellows I grew up on the East Coast I’ve only been out here since 1980 so I am not a real authority on western models ....... but yes I have seen them mine look like the bottom photo....bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Whiskymack said:

Pretty sure that's an early Western grill minus the lower portion which I believe attached to the bumper. Replaced with newer style Western grill around 69/70.

One thing I notice different between the orange one and the red/white one is the higher cab/hood mounting on the orange one. Is that for specific engines (like a V8)?

The cab height is the same on both but the hood changed. The orange truck is the earlier model and it used the eastern style R700 hood on a Western frame.

The ride height of a western frame was generally higher than the eastern model and the cab was mounted higher so you can see a big gap between tyre and fender especially if you compare with the picture which began this thread. In about 72 Mack came out with a new Western hood, dropping the fenders down several inches so creating a taller hood and closing down the gap between tyre and fender. You can see the extra inches in the flat panel below the body line along the sides.

This was regardless of the engine fitted.

67RL3.jpg

73RLRS5.jpg