2019 Rubber Duck Truck Reborn???

Just found this nugget on the internetowebogram... Glad to see Dan Bruno is back on the grid. I just feel uneasy about his new concept. Although, it is completely logical and makes sense... I just love this CLASSIC movie and the truck. But, I REALLY hate to see it be anything else... :( But, GREAT JOB Dan!!!! Your Western Truck looks amazing!!!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rubber+duck+truck&sp=SBSYAQHqAwA%3D

• Like 1

Hope the link loads. Here is Dan's YouTube post.

Published on Jun 4, 2019

Convoy’s Rubber Duck Reimagined for 2019. Although we had fun finding, saving and restoring the 1970 Mack RS700L and 1960 Trailmobile Tank Trailer, along with finding and saving the purpose-built 1977 Mack RS700L used in the movie Convoy......we couldn't help but wonder what a modern version of the Rubber Duck's truck would look like.

For a moment, we had to delve into fantasy land and assume that Martin Penwald (the Rubber Duck) was real and that the events of the movie Convoy were a reality. We started by assuming the look of the truck was chosen by Martin Penwald for whatever reason.....all black truck with some limited bright accents, single right exhaust, large modular sleeper, cab mounted old-school air deflector, long hood conventional, black interior and a long wheelbase 250" or more. Given the nature of trucking now, we also didn't believe that the real Martin Penwald would be interested in dealing with SCR, DPF or e-Logs. This narrowed our choices.

Mack wouldn't talk to us about a single side mounted exhaust and wouldn't build gliders. Peterbilt things grey is the only color for interiors, and KW dropped the modular sleeper. Western Star and their local dealer Truck Centers, Inc. was eager to work with us and was willing to build exactly what we wanted. Securing one of the last glider slots available, we ordered in in July 2018 for June 2019 delivery.

Please check back to follow along with the completion of the build and its debut around the country at key events.

Hold up....every daycab ordered Mack (Granite ) come with a single stack mounted to the cab. (AN/CHU) on a stack mount.  Ok, so it would have an emissions box under the RH of the cab....and we all know a few guys with exhausts on new Macks that have some things " re routed" with a big stack on the passenger side and a few program updates. Its totally doable. The Rubber Duck had an aftermarket sleeper, could have slapped that on any new Mack. This factory WS bunk looks out of place. I'm thinking someone was just really peeved at Mack/Volvo for a reason yet to be disclosed and went else where.

Edited by bbigrig

Mik Mak of Canada still makes custom sleepers for dual and single stack configurations. I reached out to them to see what a 60'' mid-rise flat roof would cost. Needless to say they would have been able to replicate something comparable for a brand new Mack. Maybe Mack just wasn't on board with the concept of what Dan was trying to accomplish. Dan, if your out there WE WANT ANSWERS!!!!! LOL..

• 2 months later...

Looks great!

Mack would probably work with you on a custom build- For example they've built a couple trucks for small to medium sized operators specced for ultimate MPGs with the MPE-445 engine, very long gearing, liftable pusher axles, a low friction Dana rear drive axle, and even an 8 millimeter thick frame so they can load the 14,000 pound front axle to maximum capacity and run with the pusher axle up much of the time. These trucks are now doing 9 to 10 MPG, which is a game changer!

What Mack couldn't supply would be a pre-2007 emissions engine or a glider built to take one- The EPA won't let them install a per-2007 "grey" Mack engine and the current cab and electronics are designed for a current Volvo or Cummins engine.

Towards the end before we sold out we had gone from Mack to Kenworth and ended up at Western Star, what a change, instead of no, it can't be done and any other negative view, we went to it can be done or we will work on it and figure out how to do it, If I ordered a new truck today it would be a Western Star, completely different attitude than the other truck builders.  

• Like 1

I agree with david wild about Western Star. If you go into a dealership to ask questions or just look around they have a totally different attitude towards you. They seem to want to answer questions, help you with anything you might think of and generally welcome you to their dealership. There might be exceptions to this but I have never found any. And just my 2 cents on the "Duck 2", although it is a beautiful truck, it will never be a "Rubber Duck" unless it is an R model Mack. Sorry it's just my thought.

Still could have built it on a Mack Chassis and called it your own.

You are correct, it was bad timing as Mack was rolling out the Anthem, pushed a football player etc.... Mack probably couldn't get clearance from what ever movie studio who owned the rights to Convoy related names etc to allow it's creations/ideas to be used by Mack and make money from it. It would have been cool. 

WELCOM BACK DAN...

I look forward seeing the new build... sorry to hear about how Mack treats one of their Iconic trucks. some times people are just that ignorant. I hope someone higher up at Mack sees this. if anything just to make them think a little harder in a attempt to save the brand..

Of the two high MPG Mack "specials" I mentioned, one buyer has all of 4 trucks. The other has around 100 trucks, but this is their first Mack. I think a lot of the customer experience depends on the dealer, some will do the work to get you what you want and some refuse to do anything but sell you what's on the lot. As for Mack not understanding the importance of the "Convoy" trucks, that was in the 70s and most people of working age were too young then to have seen the movie. Couple that with younger folks inability to understand visual marketing and it's no wonder your marketing concept went nowhere. I suspect you'd get the same response at Freightliner if you wanted to build a classic Freightliner cabover truck... Most people in the industry now have only worked with conventionals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...