Granites with spokes

Love the look of granites with spokes, great mix of modern and old. Realize they are not the most practical wheel but they remind me of my childhood. The only granite I have seen in St. Louis with spokes is below. Would love to see pictures of other granites rocking spokes.

A65C8EF0-8FBB-4F72-9CE5-C55B13271D6A.jpeg

Edited by autocardc

I always like spokes on the drives. Budd on the steer. Lot's easier to change due to weight and balance. Steel Budd on the rear were heavy for a wimp, (me). Looks like he's sporting a flat on the rear outer in the photo.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I do like those aluminum rims for steer and lift. They look real sharp, recessed in just right with a wide tire I like that style granite, looks more like a work truck than the newer flashy ones.

Take your pick, heavy wheels or heavy hubs. In theory I think I'd rather buds on the rear, because I'm a wimp too. Don't relish the idea of pulling spoke hubs off by myself for a brake job. Only time a bud hub needs to come off is when a wheel seal goes bad. 

But we only have spoke hubs trucks. Just the way it's always been. We back into a lot of driveways , so we think bud rims would crack more often than normal. Not sure what everyone else's experiences are.

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

I do like those aluminum rims for steer and lift. They look real sharp, recessed in just right with a wide tire I like that style granite, looks more like a work truck than the newer flashy ones.

Take your pick, heavy wheels or heavy hubs. In theory I think I'd rather buds on the rear, because I'm a wimp too. Don't relish the idea of pulling spoke hubs off by myself for a brake job. Only time a bud hub needs to come off is when a wheel seal goes bad. 

But we only have spoke hubs trucks. Just the way it's always been. We back into a lot of driveways , so we think bud rims would crack more often than normal. Not sure what everyone else's experiences are.

I have a hub and drum dolly for the task. No physical lifting of the heavy members that way. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I have a hub and drum dolly for the task. No physical lifting of the heavy members that way. 

Snap a photo of it? 

We bought a trans jack from harbor freight, I think I used it once for a hub with decent results, but I need to make a deck for it specifically for spoke hubs, it's a bit wobbly for hubs. My dad and I have always used a car jack, one if us will work the jack while the other steadies the hub. I'm trying to become more self reliable so I can send him on vacation for a month or two here and there and still get things done.

Mine is an OTC and I'll get a photo of it for you. It is however the prior edition from what is available now. It has arms that bolt to the spokes and a handwheel to elevate the assembly so no weight is placed upon the wheel end seal. I'll be back out there tonight and will grab a photo.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

At 1200-2600 depending on merchant I think I'll fabricate a deck to bolt to my trans jack!! It's got tilt and whatnot too!

Sweet looking hand cart! 

I purchased that several years ago from a truck repair shop where the owner was retiring. I went to HS with his grandson so he treated me right and this has paid for itself many times over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I owe this after hijacking the thread!

Billy Equipment 179.JPG

Looks like a real worker wiyj spokes and big rears. Good luck with it.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

When I had a dump trailer with spokes the way I removed the hub to do seals and brakes was like this.

back the trailer wheel over a steel plate on the ground

jack the axle up in the center just to get it 1/16  of an inch up off the plate. spray some pb blaster on the plate under the tire and let is down just so the tires barely touched.

remove the hub nut and bearings, slide the whole assembly off the axle using the oiled down plate to help it slide. it sounds like a pita but it saved alot of time and was very easy to do.

they made a jack stand tool for this that cradled the tires and you did not need to use a plate and oil but I did not have one.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

When I had a dump trailer with spokes the way I removed the hub to do seals and brakes was like this.

back the trailer wheel over a steel plate on the ground

jack the axle up in the center just to get it 1/16  of an inch up off the plate. spray some pb blaster on the plate under the tire and let is down just so the tires barely touched.

remove the hub nut and bearings, slide the whole assembly off the axle using the oiled down plate to help it slide. it sounds like a pita but it saved alot of time and was very easy to do.

they made a jack stand tool for this that cradled the tires and you did not need to use a plate and oil but I did not have one.  

That's how I did it also

22 hours ago, Red Horse said:

well not the best picture but  took this a year or two ago.  I call it "60 years of Spokes"  Im on the scale at the quarry and this  Granite has pulled up in back of me.   too bad I could not have had a better shot of it because it is a beautyIMG_1871.thumb.jpg.f24150d1e2f47487e707e05b7dda3eee.jpg

The Granite looks nice but your B is way nicer