7 Killed in New Mexico Greyhound Bus/Tractor Trailer Collision

kscarbel2

Just came down I -495 in MA. Right at Exit 4 is a CH in Breakdown lane.  Aluminum wheel sitting on the asphalt- didn't see any sign of the tire before I passed him or after.-either it took off into woods or driver gathered it all up.  No service vehicles there yet.  Lucky driver as well as those around him.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

I've blew out a few front tires and never had any worry of losing control. Worst was at 70+ mph and a brand new Michelin steer exploded on me. Just hold the wheel and ride it out. 

Yea; I’ve had 1 of those big float front tires on a tandem loaded & it just shook  the hell out of me until I got stopped on a 2 lane hwy & it was the drivers side; & I was as usual driving faster than I should’ve been. Truck did have double steering boxes though.

Thats a sad deal!

• Like 1

Saw this on the news last night. I knew it was going to have mutable lives lost just looking at the pics .   Damm shame to those people

I have lost 2 steer tires. One was on my R model. I had just put power steering on it a few weeks before. I was loaded and it went down slow. I was able to ride it to the shoulder.

the 2nd time was a few years ago in a pete with a load of scrap...I ran over something in the highway and it let go quick. again I was able to ride it out.

• Like 2

i too have had a few front tires blow out over the years with no real damage. the worst was around 10 years ago on the NJ turnpike. passenger front blew out after hitting a piece of I beam that fell off the truck in front of me. i had nowhere to go .there was a trooper on the shoulder, and a bus in the center lane. when the tire went, i just got out of the throttle and rode it out to the shoulder about 1/4 mile total. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

that story is horrible        ya i dont know why all the damage and death i also blew out front tire R model with manual steering at 65 mph  years ago as you say just hang on to wheel still it quits rolling....bob

Edited by mowerman
left out info

I wonder if it was the driver tire or passenger steer tire that went out on him. I have never had the driver side steer go out but on the 2 passenger side tires that went down on me one was pretty tangled around the tire and axle. What im getting at is if it was the driver side steer its possible that it wrapped around the pitman arm and turned him into the ditch/oncoming traffic. if it was violent it could have pulled the steering wheel out of his hand and he then lost control? just speculating

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lmackattack said:

I wonder if it was the driver tire or passenger steer tire that went out on him. I have never had the driver side steer go out but on the 2 passenger side tires that went down on me one was pretty tangled around the tire and axle. What im getting at is if it was the driver side steer its possible that it wrapped around the pitman arm and turned him into the ditch/oncoming traffic. if it was violent it could have pulled the steering wheel out of his hand and he then lost control? just speculating

Definitely possible. It may not have been the driver's fault; could have been a combination of things.

12 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

in one of the pictures you can see it was the driver side tire that blew out. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..