Introducing Ford Trucks' new heavy tractor

kscarbel2

Ford Trucks Press Release  /  July 27, 2018

Our "heavy" trademark, Ford Trucks, held a ceremony at our global commercial truck R&D center in Istanbul, Turkey, where we developed an all-new tractor specifically designed to be the new leader in international long-haul transport.

Over a five-year period, some 1,200 Ford Otosan engineers went to work creating a cutting edge new heavy truck capable of meeting and exceeding the demands and expectations of both Turkish and global market customers.

Ford Trucks' new heavy truck delivers high performance with a 13-litre 500 horsepower engine, while the 2.5-meter wide cabin width and advanced technologies focused on providing the comfort of home to long-haul operators, features that will redefine the standards in the premium heavy truck segment.

The official launch of the new truck will take place at the international IAA commercial vehicle show in Hanover, Germany in September.

"Our engineering and production capability is our strength to stand out in the global competition", said Ford Otosan General Manager Heydar Yenigün.

"In 2010, Ford Trucks took its first step in returning to the world stage with a true global market heavy truck platform", said Yenigün. "In Turkey, the Ford Truck brand completed the establishment of a world class dealer network. At the same time, we began establishing and strengthening the Ford Trucks brand in international markets. In addition to the Middle East, Africa, and Turkey, we continued our growth with the opening of dealers in Eastern Europe. Today, Ford Trucks is operating in 40 countries around the world, with that number rising to 50 countries by the end of 2020."

Ford Trucks' global growth strategy and competitiveness, our willingness to continuously invest in cutting edge R&D and production capabilities enables us to stand out from the competition.

Proprietary design is one of our strengths. With the new Ford Cargo, Ford component content has reached 89 percent.

Ford Otosan's proprietary 13-litre "Ecotorq" powertrain, developed in 2016 at a cost of US$100 million, reflects Ford Trucks competence to move to the next level.

Our new "big block" Ecotorq engine is already gaining the appreciation of customers in Europe with its impressive performance and low fuel consumption.

The truck's drive axle, which entered production in 2015, was developed by Ford Trucks engineers.

This year at a cost of $57.8 million, Ford Trucks began development of a proprietary automated manual transmission (AMT). Development is scheduled for completion in 2019, allowing us to use our own transmissions from 2020. With our own proprietary transmission, our Ford Trucks content rate will rise even further.

We have not only invested in new product, but also in our testing and production facilities. Ford Trucks opened a European level heavy truck test center adjacent to our Inönü, Turkey plant. Now, most testing previously done in Europe can now be carried out in our own facilities.

We have also upgraded our paint shop with the latest technologies, at a cost of US$17.5 million.

In addition, we improved production efficiency with a new cab production line utilizing the latest global manufacturing processes.

"In the long haul segment, Ford Trucks has been a proven leader for decades", said Yenigün, saying: "Our continuous product and plant investments have rewarded us with a leadership position. With the launch of the 2016 model year, our redesigned series of vocational trucks became indispensable in Turkey's rising construction sector. From the largest projects to the toughest construction site conditions, we have become the truck of choice throughout Turkey with a 39 percent market share"

In the Turkish domestic truck market, our overall market share has reached an all-time high of 17 percent, and that number continues to rise. 

Ford Trucks goal is to become a global leader in both the long-haul and vocational segments. In September, we will introduce our new heavy truck range to the world at the Hanover international IAA commercial vehicle show in Germany, which reflects the depth of our international growth strategy.

We have launched more than 60 dealers and service points in Russia, Africa, the Middle East and Europe in preparation for our new heavy truck launch. Our slogan, “Ford Trucks and You – Sharing the Load", sends a clear message to our customers that we understand their needs and work demands.

Ford Cargo launched in Turkey among seven European brands. Today, Ford Trucks aims to become a so-called European brand with an all-new world class product.

Ford Trucks Deputy general manager Serhan Turfan said the new Ford Cargo is all about comfort, efficiency and technology. "We have reimagined every detail. Our new truck is a success with the strength and performance of tests in very demanding climatic and terrain conditions. The modern design language, based on prestige and power of our new tractor, offers a combination of professionalism and innovation. Comfort, efficiency and technology are the most important features of our product. Our new cabin, reaching 2.5 meters wide, promises users the comfort and freshness they need on a long road. With its 500 horsepower engine, our new heavy truck brings new levels of efficiency to the transport industry. The appeal of Ford Trucks, our ability to deliver improved fuel economy, and lower maintenance costs and operating expenses, will greatly reduce the cost of ownership. And importantly, we focused on future technologies. With "ConnecTruck", we enable customers to integrate their tools, customers and the entire outside world. With map-assisted speed control, multimedia system, and new technologies supporting both driver convenience and fleet managers, Ford Trucks will be viewed as an optimized product for maximum profitability."

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

The new "premium" global market heavy tractor.....from Ford Trucks

Ford Trucks and You – "Sharing the Load"

At Ford Trucks, we’re serious about trucking. It's why we designed the all-new 2019 Cargo heavy truck range from the ground up to meet your needs and expectations. See your authorized Ford heavy truck dealer for details.

Photo 5.jpg

I'm always shocked at the negative comments here about the appearance of European COEs, given that the US market was 50 percent COE not that long ago, and none of the COEs of that era were any better looking. As in the US with conventionals, the demand for better and better aerodynamics has dictated exterior European COE design cues to a great degree. But that said, just as I feel the new Ford Cargo has a sharp looking grille and side appearance, Scania, M-B, and MAN all have sharp looking trucks in my book. And Kenworth's K200 is cutting edge Australian design. Yes, as an American, I still like the Argosy and 9800i....love seeing them in South Africa. And the MH Ultra-Liner is written down in my book as the best US COE of all time. But again, I think Ford has a winner. My hat's off to the Ford-Otosan team.

If I had a choice between any US conventional sold today and Ford's new COE Cargo, I would climb into the Ford.

• Like 1

I didn't see mention of South America or Brazil in particular. A few years ago I noticed quite a few heavy Ford COE trucks there with the Cargo name. Are they different from the Turkish ones? They were not bad looking either and I could see how the medium duty ones could sell in the U.S to compete with  COE, Isuzu, HIno etc. Interesting too that they have invested so much in there own 13 liter engine and proprietary components. Makes me think they are really serious about starting to extend their market globally like they said.

30 minutes ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

I didn't see mention of South America or Brazil in particular. A few years ago I noticed quite a few heavy Ford COE trucks there with the Cargo name. Are they different from the Turkish ones? They were not bad looking either and I could see how the medium duty ones could sell in the U.S to compete with  COE, Isuzu, HIno etc. Interesting too that they have invested so much in there own 13 liter engine and proprietary components. Makes me think they are really serious about starting to extend their market globally like they said.

There was a time when Ford Brasil and Ford Otosan (Turkey) were each doing their own thing. But apparently Mulally wanted a more tidy approach. Ford-Otosan, clearly the stronger of the two, was designated the hub for Ford Truck global design. Brazil does sell some small Cargo models unique to their market (the C816 and C1119 use the old cab to reduce cost in that price-sensitive market.....https://www.fordcaminhoes.com.br/cargo/?_ga=1.240094019.1964630396.1468551166). 

The Brazilian economy is stuck, with no light at the end of the tunnel. Turkey is booming and they're signing up distributors from Morocco to Moscow. And, they scored a big and lucrative technology sale in China with Jiangling (aka JMC). Passionate truck people who work tirelessly are rewarded.

Mark, the perfect truck, including the ultimate aerodynamic envelope, would be a cross between a conventional and a COE, and the world's truckmakers including China are converging in their design toward that end.

I always preferred COEs owing to the visibility, space and maintenance ease. In other words, I preferred an F-model, Cruise-Liner and certainly Ultra-Liner to an R-model, U-model or Super-Liner. The exceptions were the US and Australian market Value-Liners.....they were special.

Had the Ultra-Liner been evolved forward, had Volvo not killed the E9 V-8, well.......then you'd really have something, the North American equivalent of the Scania V-8. The Mack brand, with the E9, would have an entire market segment all to themselves in North America, as Scania now does in the global market.

5 hours ago, chu613 said:

Kevin.....

That’s a Volvo cab or based on that right? I mean... just look at that. I’m not saying it’s ugly but I think it has something to do with Volvo. I grew up with them COE I love them, I miss them so much 

No, it's not a Volvo cab. No connection with Volvo. It's an all-new cab, proprietary to Ford.

Perhaps the sloped side styling is tricking you. That's actually the norm in side cab architecture nowadays. For one thing, side window visibility is much better.

In exchange for having their own variant, Jiangling (JMC) helped pay for its development.

The styling cues all look the same on European trucks.   Not really much different then todays cars/trucks in the US I suppose.  Nothing really "different" about any of them, they all look like they came from the same mother. 

I like most any trucks, conventional or COE.   They all have styles of their own back in the 70-80's(and earlier).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Back in the days before STAA when cabovers outsold conventionals in Class 8 I heard the same comment that the cabovers all looked the same. To the casual observer that was the case because they were all built to fit in the same dimensional envelope, but for anybody that studied them much it was easy to tell them apart.

• Like 1

Given that on about two thirds of Class 8 combination vehicles the cargo box(es) fill up before reaching the weight limits, cabovers would allow increased productivity by turning all the space wasted on a hood into space for more paying freight. That's why in countries that haven't hobbled their truckers with arbitrary trailer length limits like the U.S. has cabovers outsell conventionals.

• Like 1