Anthem = loss market share

1 hour ago, storkmack said:

The Anthem is not the whole problem......

Was estimating a seawall job in Chesapeake last spring and stopped at Tidewater Mack. Looked at an Anthem and asked the salesman if I ordered one, whats the lead time for delivery. Straight faced told me 6 to 10 months or longer, Volvo has supply issues and really could give a crap if they sell or not. Heard the same thing from Excel in Roanoake and Gabrielli in N.Y. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

13 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Was estimating a seawall job in Chesapeake last spring and stopped at Tidewater Mack. Looked at an Anthem and asked the salesman if I ordered one, whats the lead time for delivery. Straight faced told me 6 to 10 months or longer, Volvo has supply issues and really could give a crap if they sell or not. Heard the same thing from Excel in Roanoake and Gabrielli in N.Y. 

This topic depresses me.....

The Volvo order delay is just as long.the only way to get a line spot quicker from Volvo is to order a VNL with a Cummins.

Engine production from Hagerstown has apparently effected both truck lines. 

I learned something about the "float" as I believe they call it when they have built trucks on the plant property but are missing parts because of supply issues as the truck travels down the production line. Apparently, this "float" hasn't been as high as it is now in years.... from what I was told. 

At our dealer, I see the new Volvo VN out selling the Anthem at a ratio of over 50 to 1.  I was really hoping to see Mack have a cab/bunk layout that would be comparable to the VN with the Anthems introduction. Huge disappointment. It's obvious they got very little input from competitive brand truck owners when it comes to the bunk space alone.

Most Anthems I've seen going out from both our dealers and others are return customers of the Pinnacles. Unless you are a hard core Mack guy, walking into a dealer and having both VN and AN models available, I could see why more customers opt for the larger interior and higher resale of the VN. They did a really good job on the Volvo VN update.

For the record, I'd still buy an Anthem over the VN.    Just dont ask me to justify why....its hard to explain to others that when you feel let down by your "corporate family" somehow they still deserve your trust and loyalty. 

It's a fact...Mack guys are just wired differently.

In my business, the only two suppliers of our material in the US have moved their delivers from 4-6 wks to 20+ wks.   Hard to get a job done in a reasonable amount of time if you can't get materials.  It boils down to steel production.  They can't get tubing, they can't make their product, we can't do our job=customer is screwed.  We end up doing a bit of "hack and weld" to get the customer back up and running until we can get new material. 

Used to be four suppliers, but one of them bought the other two. 

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I think the Anthem will just lead Mack further into the dowward trend of market share. I have yet to hear one company or person even mention the "new" truck. Its not on the radar for anyone I know that is in trucking. With increased down time and parts issues who would go with a a mfg that cant deliver or keep parts in stock.  And now you are limited to only Mack and Volvo dealerships for repairs. not only do they hold you hostage when you cant get parts but they rape you on the costs. 

I have seen 2 of them on the road. both were day cab freight trucks and no name small companys. I keep seeing more and more fleets jump to paccar  Brian shared this pic recently of one of Chicago lands largest concrete outfits.   Praires 8 new KW mixers. I cant recall that they ran anything but Mack in the last few decades. When Meyer sold out the new company went with KW. there is maybe 2 big company around here that use mack these days. Paulmbo and Plote  and I know one of them is displeased with the last batch they got. They pulled their RDs back out because of the downtime they were suffering with the new trucks.

37360760_704420453233613_3649096363204935680_o.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

No it's not. Volvo has pushed Mack to lose its edge in everything from styling to low operation costs.  But you know that already....

How is the new Pete doing?

its at the paint shop for its stripes.   

9 hours ago, Freightrain said:

In my business, the only two suppliers of our material in the US have moved their delivers from 4-6 wks to 20+ wks.   Hard to get a job done in a reasonable amount of time if you can't get materials.  It boils down to steel production.  They can't get tubing, they can't make their product, we can't do our job=customer is screwed.  We end up doing a bit of "hack and weld" to get the customer back up and running until we can get new material. 

Used to be four suppliers, but one of them bought the other two. 

Larry it goes beyond steel production goes to wiring/ electronic supplies, trim and glass suppliers, general lethargy in the top management and last Multi Brand dealers whose slaes people push the unit with the quickest and highest sales commission. I was actually thinking at the time of making my Marmon a show toy and replacing it with a new Anthem...stupid me for being brand loyal.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

9 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

As a Cummins shareholder, I wonder why Volvo isn't offering the Cummins X12 as an option if they can't build enough Volvo engines? Or is Volvo worried that their engines can't compete with the X12?

From what I've found Volvo engine production is fine, it's them supplying them to Mack that is the issue. Every Mack sold apparently upsets the Euro management.  Like they don't seem to grasp that Macks sales also boost their bottom line.

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 7/20/2018 at 10:54 PM, 41chevy said:

From what I've found Volvo engine production is fine, it's them supplying them to Mack that is the issue. Every Mack sold apparently upsets the Euro management.  Like they don't seem to grasp that Macks sales also boost their bottom line.

If you can get a vendor engine powered Volvo truck 6 months faster then an in-house built engine, I would say there is a supply issue.  That's straight from our sales dept. It also shows that customers are much happier ordering the MP/D series engine which also good for business.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 12:32 PM, bbigrig said:

This topic depresses me.....

The Volvo order delay is just as long.the only way to get a line spot quicker from Volvo is to order a VNL with a Cummins.

Engine production from Hagerstown has apparently effected both truck lines. 

I learned something about the "float" as I believe they call it when they have built trucks on the plant property but are missing parts because of supply issues as the truck travels down the production line. Apparently, this "float" hasn't been as high as it is now in years.... from what I was told. 

At our dealer, I see the new Volvo VN out selling the Anthem at a ratio of over 50 to 1.  I was really hoping to see Mack have a cab/bunk layout that would be comparable to the VN with the Anthems introduction. Huge disappointment. It's obvious they got very little input from competitive brand truck owners when it comes to the bunk space alone.

Most Anthems I've seen going out from both our dealers and others are return customers of the Pinnacles. Unless you are a hard core Mack guy, walking into a dealer and having both VN and AN models available, I could see why more customers opt for the larger interior and higher resale of the VN. They did a really good job on the Volvo VN update.

For the record, I'd still buy an Anthem over the VN.    Just dont ask me to justify why....its hard to explain to others that when you feel let down by your "corporate family" somehow they still deserve your trust and loyalty. 

It's a fact...Mack guys are just wired differently.

I saw a anthem today it's the second one I've seen both looked really good ,the one I saw today was a chief express long haul truck it was red with the 70 inch bunk . I could tell from a long ways off it was a anthem . 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 7:01 PM, fjh said:

Yup we will see how it goes thankfully I will retire soon And I  get myself out this frustrating spiral !  in my opinion both our countries Governments  have done a Great  dis service to its peoples long ago!  By NOT limiting Foreign Ownership  of in house companies and ,land acquisition etc   to less than 30 - 40 Percent ,  Controlling interest of  anything inside any country should be that of its people ! Things Are happening now How ever !!!  But   Too little to late! Horse is out of the barn! 

Just an opinion  

FJH, I'm glad I'm not the only one ready to retire out of this madness that is Mack now. Dealing with corporate is getting worse every day. Only thing good is the pay in which I can't complain. 5 more years and I'm out for sure , if I can take it that long. 

• Like 1