1970 Brockway 361 Huskidrive

j hancock

Huskiedrive started out with a Cummins NHCT-CT.  CT was for Custom Torque (248 HP).

Not positive on the time frame, the Cummins PT 270 came along and was under the hood for the Brockway.  PT was for Power Torque.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

51 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Huskiedrive started out with a Cummins NHCT-CT.  CT was for Custom Torque (248 HP).

Not positive on the time frame, the Cummins PT 270 came along and was under the hood for the Brockway.  PT was for Power Torque.

Well then I stand corrected-it was the "answer" to the Maxidyne-so it was a CT. 

11 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Well then I stand corrected-it was the "answer" to the Maxidyne-so it was a CT. 

The CT was initially the answer to the Maxidyne.  The CT was replaced by the PT 270 for Huskidrive duty.  I remember seeing a 1973 and a 1974 Huskidrive that had PT 270's under the hood.

No one really had the answer for the Maxidyne!

Jim

12 hours ago, Joe Ditchkus said:

The Blue Huskie  picturesd is owned by some friends of mine Joe and Tom Marushin from Hazleton,Penna. area. They have a few other Brockways also not selling them though.

Joe, what is your recollection on the engine deal?

• Like 1

Jim

The first big truck I ever rode in was a 361 Brockway with a 220 Cummins and an Eaton " bogie" a five speed main and a three speed differential.It was in 68, a year before I learned to drive semi. The only other truck I saw with this setup was a crackerbox "Jimmy" with a 671 Detroit.

On 7/11/2018 at 8:42 AM, j hancock said:

Huskidrive was introduced by Brockway Trucks in 1968.  It utilized a high torque rise Cummins in conjunction with a Fuller 5 speed transmission with Eaton 2 speed rears (5.05/3.70 ratios).   Power or economy at a flip of the switch. 

A truck with Huskidrive featured two Husky dogs on top of the hood.

The Huskidrive was in competition with the Mack Maxidyne system which had been introduced mid decade.  Brockway Trucks was an autonomous division of Mack since 1956.

1970 Brockway 361.JPG

1970 Brockway 361 Dogs.JPG

1970 Brockway 361 Hood.JPG

Since Huskidrive is the topic, maybe someone can give me a few pointers on an issue...
Gotta ‘74 with the NHCT-270 and 5 spd Huskidrive, Eaton 2 speed air shifted rear diffs, 5.05/3.70 ratios. In 1-5 (low) the speedo is accurate, but when the rear is shifted to hi in 5th (Cruise) the speedo is always about 15 mph slower than actual speed. Would a ratio adapter solve this issue? I’m not sure how it is reading properly in low but incorrectly when I’m high. How does the speedo actually read the road speed in both low/high?