Replacement trunnion stand

Bud’s

I’m brand new to this site, I have owned my truck for a little over two years and have been going through it little by little.  It’s a 1986 R688st The fella that I purchased the truck off of installed over sized brass trunnion bushing’s unit sometime ago, turns out they are worn out, and this is my solution, what a beast.518237E2-91DD-4FCC-B793-ED70F701ED9F.thumb.jpeg.9886208daa4b83bd5203db63167818e9.jpeg

4966AD70-70EE-4D54-8F23-E7688C80947A.jpeg

• Like 1

I definitely have my work cut out for me, I spoke to a couple of dog mechanics and they said it was about time somebody came up with the system such as this one, rather than having to slide unit Out the frame rails and then back in my problem is I am going to have a tough time installing it from the bottom up due to the 3000 gallon water tank that’s mounted on the back of the truck.

36411EEB-6A2E-4252-A2D2-8490DAED3E19.jpeg

That’s where I initially found it on the Internet, went down to my local spring shop and he brought it in through one of his suppliers. I crunched some numbers and He was very reasonable with his prices, by the time I ordered it and then had to run down to the border to pick it up,pay the duty, along with the exchange rate I thought it was a pretty good deal.  I recently did the rear spring packs  this time last year, it would’ve been a good time to change it out then......

Thanks,

I plan on running this truck for a long time, after talking to quite a few guys in the know it is a lot cheaper to fix this unit up rather than purchasing a new truck.  Absolutely Rob, it’s almost over engineered, very heavy construction.  I replaced the front leaf packs  about eight months ago along with two new battery boxes, the covers on it right now are the old ones due to the amount of salt here in the winter. Going to be ordering up brand new air cleaner assembly and oil pan, along with a set of new main crank bearings. Slowly but surely.......

The old Mack dealership here used to do a trunnion bar a week,2 days to tear down and two days to reassemble.  Which entailed cutting out the stand ears Which the bar passed through,Pressing them off, pressing on the new bar, welding them back place etc.... The one mechanic told me that replacement stand is the way to go 

My saddles are finished along with the bar having excessive wear.

3 hours ago, Bud’s said:

The old Mack dealership here used to do a trunnion bar a week,2 days to tear down and two days to reassemble.  Which entailed cutting out the stand ears Which the bar passed through,Pressing them off, pressing on the new bar, welding them back place etc.... The one mechanic told me that replacement stand is the way to go 

My saddles are finished along with the bar having excessive wear.

Ok got ya,I only worked on 58 rears where the bar is held on with trunnion caps..good luck.

are you replacing the spring packs?....... i did the same upgrade to my CL few years back. very nice piece. there was nothing wrong with mine at time but i wanted to do it before it took a shit. i replaced everything in the rear other then the rear ends themselves. 

my front end is still all factory original from 2000 and rides dead true. i can get 2 years out of a set of front floats with perfect wear. about once or twice a year i check the frontend for play or any wear parts and nothing. my truck has 600k on it now. 

new resized.jpg