Cool Ad For Freightrain

41chevy

My first car was almost a 69 Corvair but I did buy a 65 impala ragtop one time just for the motor car was in pretty good shape except for the roof all torn to hell pulled the engine out and scraped the rest still kicking my ass over that one...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, mowerman said:

My first car was almost a 69 Corvair but I did buy a 65 impala ragtop one time just for the motor car was in pretty good shape except for the roof all torn to hell pulled the engine out and scraped the rest still kicking my ass over that one...bob

I think may of us sold cars we wish we hadn't... Back in the day my 66 'Vette ragtop, 327/350, 4 speed, side pipes, leather, beautiful car, but at 110,000 miles developed a faint rod knock, sold it for the  same amount I bought it for, $3500. Wish I had that one back along with my '73 big block "Vette ragtop, 454, 4 speed, loaded, ac, pw, ps, pb, every damn option.  Let it go for $5K.  Oh well.... 

And, I wish i still had my '58 Austin Healy with 289 and cruisomatic and my '71 Datsun pickup with 302 and cruiseomatic.  The Healy was good for 143 MPH on the NY State Thruway and the Datsun 125 MPH and both were scary as hell at those speeds.  Visualize stupid young man with teenager-style lack of fear, running on adrenaline and nearly-bald, bias ply, rayon, cheap ass 7.35 -14 tires.  Like many of you,  I am lucky to have made it this far.

• Like 1

Yes we’ve all done real dumb stuff especially getting rid of cars I scrapped out that 65 impala It was in 75 it really wasn’t worth anything and there was 1 million of them around that car as it sets would probably bring around eight Grand now with No engine and a torn up roof... body was really straight and Rust free  Chrome was all good as I remember I onlyWanted the engine out of it only paid 125 for it but thinking back then I was even looking at the car and thinking wow this thing is actually in pretty good shape but if I would’ve tried to sell it I wouldn’t have got anything for it back then.Especially with that  torn up roof and no engine...bob

Edited by mowerman
  • Like 1

Oh forgot to mention gray hair I would love to have that 66 are about 73 you had right now frankly I would take any year corvette Except I didn’t really care for Those flat back models they were using for a while. Maybe 67-72 not sure I am sure he would know....bob

4 hours ago, grayhair said:

I think may of us sold cars we wish we hadn't...

4 hours ago, mowerman said:

Yes we’ve all done real dumb stuff especially getting rid of cars

I agree.  Back in the mid 70s and early 80s who would have thunk these cars would be worth what they are today.  Larry, the 70 Cuda convertible...the guy selling it talked me into buying it rather than a hard top that I wanted.  At the time no one wanted a convertible.  If I remember in 1980 I paid $3000 for it (base 383 4bbl, 4spd, manual top, AM radio, rallye wheels, and no other options).  I flew to Salt Lake City, guy picked me up at the airport with the Cuda, drove to his place, paid for the car, and drove it to where I lived in Peoria.  Sold it a couple years later for the same price.  Each car has a story but at the time, either needed the money or something new caught my eye (pickups, SUVs, snowmobiles, garden tractors, farm tractors, wifey, etc.).  The nicest car was the 1975 Cordoba (bought new) but I wish I still had either the 70 Cuda vert, 73 Cuda 340, or 74 Road Runner GTX.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

And oddly enough, I wish I could have again my old clunker, used, first truck.  It was a 1967 Chevy C10 short bed, straight 6, 3 on the tree, no power anything.  I also had a '67 C40 flatbed with a 283. At 300K miles the front cam lobe disappeared. Put a new cam in it and drove it another 100K miles before giving it away.  Somehow I have a soft spot for both those old clunkers...

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, grayhair said:

I think may of us sold cars we wish we hadn't... Back in the day my 66 'Vette ragtop, 327/350, 4 speed, side pipes, leather, beautiful car, but at 110,000 miles developed a faint rod knock, sold it for the  same amount I bought it for, $3500. Wish I had that one back along with my '73 big block "Vette ragtop, 454, 4 speed, loaded, ac, pw, ps, pb, every damn option.  Let it go for $5K.  Oh well.... 

And, I wish i still had my '58 Austin Healy with 289 and cruisomatic and my '71 Datsun pickup with 302 and cruiseomatic.  The Healy was good for 143 MPH on the NY State Thruway and the Datsun 125 MPH and both were scary as hell at those speeds.  Visualize stupid young man with teenager-style lack of fear, running on adrenaline and nearly-bald, bias ply, rayon, cheap ass 7.35 -14 tires.  Like many of you,  I am lucky to have made it this far.

How about running a 1956 Olds 98, loaded even had AC with 37,000 miles in a demo derby at Freeport Speedway , followed the next week by a mint 1956 Pontiac Safari wagon. Or the 1965 Jaguar XK fastback I stuffed a blown big block in to run as a gasser Just old cars not worth anything. The only reason my Mopars stayed was because I was always going to race them again.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

12 hours ago, grayhair said:

Love to have that Safari wagon now...

In 69 / 70 they were just cars, now  collectables. Had in the old barn on Long Island an 1800 mile 1959 Impala wagon. Loaded with AC, PS, PB, power seat, power windows, 348 with Turbo Glide. Parked in 1959 because the insurance company would not pay enough for a dent in the back. Grandma said she'd let it rot before she'd settle. I removed it two  years ago when the barn collapsed on it. Sold the date coded glass and the entire factory AC, dash and all. That was all that was salvageable.. Granny was nuts. Had a Fuelie Vette about 61 0r 61 chained to a tree because some body tried to steal it. Guess thats where my vehicle hording gene comes from  :)

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

In 69 / 70 they were just cars, now  collectables. Had in the old barn on Long Island an 1800 mile 1959 Impala wagon. Loaded with AC, PS, PB, power seat, power windows, 348 with Turbo Glide. Parked in 1959 because the insurance company would not pay enough for a dent in the back. Grandma said she'd let it rot before she'd settle. I removed it two  years ago when the barn collapsed on it. Sold the date coded glass and the entire factory AC, dash and all. That was all that was salvageable.. Granny was nuts. Had a Fuelie Vette about 61 0r 61 chained to a tree because some body tried to steal it. Guess thats where my vehicle hording gene comes from  :)

she sounds like she was a pretty interesting gal!    terry:thumb:

Edited by terry

3 hours ago, terry said:

she sounds like she was a pretty interesting gal!    terry:thumb:

She definitely was an independent  woman. Raised 5 children and ran the family farm mostly alone. Gramps died in 1929 after the market crash . Came home from work sat down at her dressing table and shot himself.  That will make you strong.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

20 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

She definitely was an independent  woman. Raised 5 children and ran the family farm mostly alone. Gramps died in 1929 after the market crash . Came home from work sat down at her dressing table and shot himself.  That will make you strong.

That’s tuff; feel for any family that went through such

• 5 months later...
On 2/11/2018 at 6:39 AM, farmer52 said:

Wish I had some of my early vehicles back:

1970 Plymouth Road Runner 383 4spd

1973 Plymouth Duster 340 auto

1970 Plymouth Super Bird 440+6 auto

1970 Plymouth Cuda Convert 383 4spd

1973 Plymouth Cuda 340 4spd w/ac

1974 Plymouth Road Runner GTX 440 auto w/ac

1975 Chevy Monza 2+2 with 4.3L V8 auto a/c

POS 1976 Plymouth Volare 360 2bbl loaded with options but qualityless

even my 1975 Chrysler Cordoba 360 with Corinthian leather bucket seats - nice ride

still have my late brother's 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme 350 4bbl auto that is not running (43K miles)

Especially that Superbird, you'd be set for life if you just had that one.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Gray hair, there is a guy down here near Brooksville Florida has an original VW with a motorcycle front fork,removed the windshield and cowl, sits on what may be the original seat and steers with the bike handlebars! There is another dude with about an 18 ft wooden rowboat sitting on a car chassis! Where the outboard motor would bolt to the transom he has a full size cartoon alligator(like Al Gator from "Pogo"!)lol! There must be something in the air!