2018 mp7 turbo problems

mackcat12

I have a 2018 Mack granite with the mp7 425M engine and Mdrive HD transmission and I’m having problems with low power it all started after a parked regen truck doesn’t have the power it had before the regen, the turbo just dies when you hit a hill,whistle is real faint went to the dealer and they hooked up the laptop no codes at all everything checked out boost was around 35 but the engine isn’t getting the boost fuel mileage is terrible and pyro temp is up by about 200 degrees. Truck has 9,000 miles on it dealer doesn’t know what to do so they called Mack and they don’t know what it could be either. Does anyone have any ideal what could be wrong? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

In the 5 years I drove the 2011 Granite (405M MP7), I was prompted to do a Parked Regen 3 times.  After each of these times (within a few weeks, anyway), some other SCR component would fail, and land me in the shop......DEF doser's come to mind....

Its a roll off, so similar usage i suppose.....not many miles, but lots of hrs....

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

• 4 weeks later...

Update, after 2 weeks  of my truck sitting in the shop at the dealer Mack decided that the dpf filter is bad  so they finally got the new filter in this morning and are in the process of getting it all back together and testing it out. I hope this is the fix, this down time is killing me I will post another update when I find out something. Fingers crossed 

You said a mouthful there!! I just came from the dealer they wanted me to test drive it to see if that fixed the problem took a mechanic with me we went to the rock quarry and got a load of stone problem is still there when you start into a hill turbo just goes away  highest boost i saw was 37 so back to the shop again!!  I guess it’s working just good enough not to throw any codes but not working right if that makes any sense, so I guess they will check the turbo and the mechanic said something about reprogramming the ecm so we play the waiting game again!

Chances are they will have to file an e service The follow instruction from Big brother!!!

And depending on big brothers experience , he may or may not roll the dice correctly  Could possibly be a turbo issue won't throw a code for that. could be a stuck egr valve may or may not throw a code for that!There are several good guys at Eservice  And there are a few ledgends in there own minds guys that may stone wall them Unfortunately,  hopefully they get one of the good ones and minimize your down time! It all depends on who has the balls to throw the right part at it with info provided! chances are its a stuck  turbo issue as it is a fairly common thing!

Good luck to ya! 

Edited by fjh

Thanks fjh yes they have been working with e service and I think they have finally figured it out they called me this morning and said the turbo failed calibration so Mack said to put a new turbo on it. I told them from day one the turbo wasn’t working right so hopefully this will fix it, they have the turbo ordered so it will be next week before I know anything 

Thats all well and good as long as you can still work thats the key! UPTIME if you can suffer thru with a little less power until the turbo gets here then great turbos are not cheap to stock and depending on how many failures they have in their area it may not be worth it to have one on the shelf ilies why they order one!

Again good luck

just remember EVERYBODY else is having the same and or similar issues with this new stuff

Mack and volvo don't have the market cornered when it comes to turbo  failures!

• 3 weeks later...

Update dealer installed new turbo and I picked up the truck got a load on it and it is basically the same as it was before, when you start into a hard pull the turbo sound gets real faint and the truck starts lugging and vibrating so bad that every thing on the truck rattles,fuel mileage did increase after the new turbo  before New turbo it was 3.8 mpg after 5.4  when it was running like it’s suppose to I was getting 7.4 mpg. Called dealer he said he doesn’t know what else to do so he is going to have his district manager to come by and ride with me and we will go from there, this is getting very frustrating truck  has 10,150 miles on it now and should not be having these problems!!

11 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

If it's vibrating that sounds like injection cups. 

Agree however if you get the wrong eservice guy  this can drag things out. you got to follow their protocol or you don't get paid! Its a rock and a hard place for the dealer! Having said that. it is a 2018 likley common Rail and  haven't estabished  a track record for failure s yet! 

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

It is very sad I sold my 1988 rd Mack to buy this granite the 88 never let me down I should have kept it,so far my 2018 has been back to the dealer more times than my old 88 ever was in the 30 years I owned it! I bought a new truck so I wouldn’t have any Down time, so much for that!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

5 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I don't imagine so from the complaints we read here.

23 hours ago, fjh said:

Agree however if you get the wrong eservice guy  this can drag things out. you got to follow their protocol or you don't get paid! Its a rock and a hard place for the dealer! Having said that. it is a 2018 likley common Rail and  haven't estabished  a track record for failure s yet! 

We have 10 or 12 common rail engines running around here for over a year and still have not had any problems that a software update couldnt cure. So far so good!

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

We have 10 or 12 common rail engines running around here for over a year and still have not had any problems that a software update couldnt cure. So far so good!

We also have half a dozen running around here And the same result ! To my surprise  few issues in the fuel system department, we changed a couple of rail sensors so far that,s it That s in keeping with the on going cheapass sensor thing that has always been a thorn!

(May)      have a winner : :thumb: we will see!

As for up time ! ?? They talk the talk ,but its the walking they have trouble with! They tend to stumble alot! :rolleyes:

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1