2018 mp7 turbo problems

mackcat12

I talked to my dealer this morning he said he talked to his district manager and it was going to be 3 weeks before he could come to the dealership to look at my truck,this is getting ridiculous, he did tell him some things to check so my truck is back over there again.it wouldn’t be as bad if Mack would give me a loner truck I could use while they experiment on my truck! I don’t know if they are ever going to figure this thing out!!

Guess there stumbling again! :angry:

We did a horse power upgrade on a unit here And ever since the engine brake power has been cut in half  been chasing this for months very little support for this issue as well. (unexplainable)  I guess  . Or its just imaginary!  THATS IT!    You have an over active Imagination!:rolleyes:

In our Tech Tool program we have a "low power template graph" that we can load into sensor monitoring screen and it records the readings of all the sensors, engine load, mph , throttle position and much more. We hit "record " and drive the truck or go with the customer. We email the results to Mack and see if they can make heads or tails out of it. Mack has flew its guys out here 3 times over the years for weird issues we couldn't figure out. One was a bad engine harness , one was a screwed up DPF filter and the last  was a bad SCR hot box. All on new trucks at the time. One guy flew in and just installed and diag monitor and left. Corporate watched the readings for a week and called us and said to put a new SCR box on, that fixed it somehow. Low boost from a faulty turbo or EGR can soot up a DPF fast. I hope they get it figured out for you asap.  

Edited by Mackpro

Forgot to add. I just got done putting a 2016 MP 7 back together. It had a weird 2 part problem. First was a turbo issue not getting full stroke all sooted and  carbon up. Replaced  it and did a  regen, during regen engine died and locked up. Found coolant on top of pistons. Found EGR cooler bad , replaced and truck barely ran. No compression on 1 and 5. Pulled head and found the intake valves on 1 and 5 had so much carbon/soot built up on them they wouldn't close/seal. Replaced head and all better now. Less than 100,000 miles on her. Scary thing is I didn't have one left over nut or bolt! 

Thanks Mackpro, they have replaced the dpf  filter and the turbo still have low power talked to service manager yesterday and he said it had finally throwed some codes and he said they sent the print out to Mack and was waiting to hear back from them. I asked what codes it showed he said he hadn’t looked at them yet hope to find out something this morning.

Mackpro have you noticed any soot in the exhaust pipes on any of the 2018 trucks? I was washing mine the other week and I noticed mine looked dark inside so I got a ladder and run my fingers in the exhaust end and they came out light black, I thought they were suppose to be squeaky clean, or is this something new for the common rail engine? a friend of mine has a 2016 granite and his pipe is clean as can be. 

They are supposed to be very clean. Sounds like the new DPF filter is cracked or  bypassing around the housing. In 2016/2017 Mack added a new sensor called the Particulate Matter sensor. It checks the exhaust after the DPF to check for soot getting through . It should have set a code if something like that happened. However this would not cause any crazy boost issue that I know of. 

I’m still waiting on  my dealer andMack they still haven’t told me what codes it  threw , I’m beyond frustrated I feel like I have been put on the back burner I guess I need to find out who to call at Mack at take matters into my own hands I’m tired of the run around!!

Edited by mackcat12
  • Like 1

So you first posted this on the 28 of feb ! Again I say  So much for The MACK commitment to service  and Uptime!

Is the truck still not on the job? If not I think its time to go higher up! Voice your dissatisfaction! Unfortunately Its not the dealers fault and they are likely doing all they are allowed to do ! This is the point where the squeaky wheel needs to be greased !Phone the 1800 get satisfaction number and get the ball rolling! Throw the commitment to service  and Uptime in there face Ask em what happened to that !!!!

• Like 1

Fjh I have the truck a week then the dealer has it for a week been like this since December 26th, you are right about my dealer they have been great and are doing what they can I talked to the service manager today and he is still waiting on e-service to get back to him with what he submitted to them last Thursday,he promised the district manager will be here next week and we will get this thing figured out. I asked him what he thought the problem was and he thinks it’s a injector problem. I will keep you guys updated as soon as I find out something.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, Mack Technician said:

Imagine what incredible base engines would have emerged if emissions Research $$$’s had gone into perfecting an N14, 3406 or E7. 

Well Quite honestly there Ain't much wrong with the core engine (shit Did I say that out loud) :rolleyes: other than all the captive parts on it I prefer MP8 0ver the MP7  ,Having said that both engines have  decent build attributes aside from the head/ injector cup issues, However  the emissions crap as like everyone else's engines kills any profitability to be had , Cheap wiring / dollar store sensors Being the biggest issue .We just spent a whole two days chasing greened out wiring on def greened out in some highly improbable  places. nice straight piece of wire Buried in the harness next to the trany no less than for spots on the wire just ridiculous .Totally unexplainable other than cheapass wire!

Rant of the day!

Edited by fjh

On 3/8/2018 at 10:02 AM, fjh said:

Well Quite honestly there Ain't much wrong with the core engine (shit Did I say that out loud) :rolleyes: other than all the captive parts on it I prefer MP8 0ver the MP7  ,Having said that both engines have  decent build attributes aside from the head/ injector cup issues, However  the emissions crap as like everyone else's engines kills any profitability to be had , Cheap wiring / dollar store sensors Being the biggest issue .We just spent a whole two days chasing greened out wiring on def greened out in some highly improbable  places. nice straight piece of wire Buried in the harness next to the trany no less than for spots on the wire just ridiculous .Totally unexplainable other than cheapass wire!

Rant of the day!

Good rant. I'll see yours and raise you one.

The scenarios I'm talking about are the 10 liter engines now coming into our shop that have no erg cooler, no egr valve, No DOC, No DFP, no compounder turbos and only DEF, Built on the same engine block platform as interim 4, and are meeting Tier 5 standards and supposedly can have a 2,000 hour oil change performed if you use the manufacturer's oil. Why couldn't we get here quicker on off-road if all the battles were fought a decade earlier by on-road.

The problems we are having with the interim 4's are the exact mess we had a decade ago at the Mack Dealership, as if the off road manufactures never look left or right to build off the shortcomings of the on-road industry.  

I havent seen any here!

So how much more def are they using ? And what about the particulate was that not an issue? No dpf?

Sounds good to me I agree short sighted! Still got to fix the  cheapass wire and dollar store sensors!😠

Edited by fjh

So I’m driving my truck and I noticed the def gauge is already on 3/4 of a tank and was full when I left,next thing I know it’s at half a tank then I notice the engine light comes on so I called GuardDog connect and they said it was a scr fault and nox sensor and something about it over dosing the def fluid said I should get to the dealer ASAP or it would de rate. I called the dealer and took it back once again,the service manager said this might be what’s been causing the problems I’ve been having so I guess we will see. He said e-service wanted to put the truck on a dyno but they don’t have one so they are sending a program to download  to their computer to hook to truck to record everything it is doing. I hope we are getting close fingers crossed.

Wonder if if the DEF level is really that low? The turbo (actuator) is on the same J1939 data link that the DEF guage is on. We have seen the turbo actuator go out but only show the DEF level sensor bad. The fault code don't always point to the actual failed component on these engines. You gotta read between the lines a lot. 

Mackpro that’s a good question I will make sure they check that out, the turbo failed calibration and they said it was the actuator but you can’t get just the actuator so they replaced the whole turbo, they finally told me what codes it throwed one was for the engine brake and one for clutch slipping 10 times not sure what that’s all about. Dsm suppose to be here this week.

Update , so this week dsm was suppose to be here but didn’t show up but he did send a low power template for them to download so had a mechanic ride with me with the laptop hooked up, they cannot figure out what is causing the scr fault everything checks out they said it is making too much nox  and it’s dosing massive amounts of def to compensate for the nox but they don’t know why. They have 3 other trucks with the same problem and nobody knows what to do,so again we play the waiting game waiting on Mack to analyze all the data.the mechanic said there was a update for my truck but e-service told him not to do it till they look at all the data. I hope the right person looks at all the data and figures this thing out soon don’t know how much more i can take!

Unfortunately you and the other two  or three trucks are the guinea pigs in this situation and all you can do is be patient ! hopfully they will get to the end of the mystery soon and they will find a common  failure on all of them for everyone's sake! 

On 3/9/2018 at 9:43 PM, fjh said:

I havent seen any here!

So how much more def are they using ? And what about the particulate was that not an issue? No dpf?

Sounds good to me I agree short sighted! Still got to fix the  cheapass wire and dollar store sensors!😠

Right now they split the interim 4 into two separate model. Late and early. The first has all the garbage. The split model has been stripped to the point it looks like a tier 3 with SCR. The DEF model uses 8-10%. Pretty heavy over the 2-3% you would expect. District says DPF will return 2020.