Pictures of the Week

other dog

On 12/27/2017 at 10:18 AM, Outbehindthebarn said:

Is that the same Mount Pilot Andy and Barney were always talking about?

Yes it is, they referred to "Mt. Pilot" often, and Mt. Airy, N.C. is Andy Griffith's home town, which is what they based Mayberry on.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

13 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I thought Andy was from Manteo on the Outer Banks?

Naw, manteos, also known as sea cows, are large, fully aquatic, mostly herbivorous marine mammals, with no known relationship with Andy Griffith.  

• Like 2

Andy Griffith was from Mt. Airy, NC. We visited there a few years ago and took a guided tour of Mt. Airy in a replica Mayberry 1962 Ford police car. The guide dressed and spoke like Barney Fife.

You can rent a room at Andy's boyhood home; it's owned by a local hotel. We also drove to the top of Pilot Mountain; it's a state park located in Pilot Mountain, NC. On the show, the town next to Mayberry

was Mt. Pilot, a shout out to Pilot Mountain. Andy Griffith later lived and died in Manteo, NC on the Outer Banks.

bulldogboy

Edited by bulldogboy

3 minutes ago, bulldogboy said:

Andy Griffith was from Mt. Airy, NC. We visited there a few years ago and took a guided tour of Mt. Airy in a replica Mayberry 1962 Ford police car. The guide dressed and spoke like Barney Fife.

You can rent a room at Andy's boyhood home; it's owned by a local hotel. We also drove to the top of Pilot Mountain; it's a state park located in Pilot Mountain, NC. On the show, the town next to Mayberry

was Mt. Pilot, a shout out to Pilot Mountain. Andy Griffith later lived and died in Manteo, NC on the Outer Banks.

bulldogboy

yeah!..put that in your collective pipes and smoke it!

13 hours ago, other dog said:

Pilot Mountain-

DSCN2784.thumb.JPG.2e235a8fb46ff01169e4795eba4408b4.JPG

Rt. 52, looking north.DSCN2792.thumb.JPG.7e1ab1c182214c3d63f57191acacf37a.JPGRt. 52, looking south.

DSCN2774.thumb.JPG.cd5433740d942fb6a42d3be2641a8028.JPG

DSCN2779.thumb.JPG.9308951962adcc0819c7863a888e6ec3.JPG

DSCN2789.thumb.JPG.3bf062ceb740c9d036d2e7a1e9929157.JPG

Beautiful place. Just still makes me wonder how that rocky pin goes up and down depending of cold and warm weather.......

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

33 minutes ago, other dog said:

:DJust some kind of weird natural phenomena I suppose.;)

Oh yea:) Indeed, you can observe some natural phenomena when things of such shape get exposed to the open air.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, VaPatentman said:

Yellow things look like Cat G3600 or G3500 units, manufactured in Lafayette, Indiana. Spent a week there a few years ago witnessing factory tests on 3 large Cat 3616’s, 900 RPM Diesel units similar to these which were for large generators. If I remember correctly they weighted about 134,000-lbs each and about 33-ft long

Where do they use engines like these for generators?

But what about Mayberry, Virginia?  Only 90 miles or so from Mt Airey

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, MHfred said:

Where do they use engines like these for generators?

Back in the 90’s Baptist hospital in Memphis had a pair of 16V149’s for back up power; worked on another at some place that didn’t have enough power & they had 16V149 also for the power

I was in the USAF from 1964 to 1968 and was a diesel electric power generation type. The largest we had were around 1800 KW and were 6 cylinder in line White Superiors. They operated at 450 or 900 RPM (can not remember-too long ago). My job as a rookie on shift was to climb up onto the catwalk and fill the oiler cups for the rocker arms every 4 hours. They were dual fuel (natural gas and diesel). We ran them 24/7 at Norton AFB, San Bernardino, CA. for radar input form southwest US. They claimed commercial power was not reliable enough.

I worked for Cleveland brothers years ago and I worked on electric sets at one school they had 4 v16 cat engines and one v12 I think they had 8 inch bores I know they held 250 gallons of oil and had 5 or 7 oil filters. That was one loud room to be in. The engines had 2 sparkplugs per cylinder and ran off a magneto,they would run them on propane or natural gas. I worked at another school they had a v12 and a  6 cylinder backup they ran on off road fuel. I was around a stripping shovel it had a 5 cylinder 24 inch bore engine we had one of the heads off and it filled up half an 8 foot truck bed the valve guides were the size of a beer can