Transmission Selector??

1 hour ago, BC Mack said:

The Allison control lever is simply a fore-aft motion, many use a cable shift.. my first thoughts were that this truck may be used where a gear is to be held and the "gate" is set up for that purpose..

BC Mack

Thx - as I look at this picture I see 7 "slots".  I drove Scania powered DM-400's in early 70's that had Allisons-don't remember what the selectors looked like but not this for sure.

Dm's by the way were NYC spec 3000 gallon gasoline tanks-back in the day when NYFD ruled the that world with an iron hand.

Is it an Allison or a Cat Auto? My AM General Cat Auto has a detent for all 16 forward speeds.

I'll post a pic later of it.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 12/14/2017 at 5:49 PM, 41chevy said:

Is it an Allison or a Cat Auto? My AM General Cat Auto has a detent for all 16 forward speeds.

I'll post a pic later of it.

Paul,I believe  your  thinking of the 9155 Cat semi-auto,right? The M-915 & 916 used those behind an NTC-400. Those trucks would  really run. I went to Ft.Bliss,Tx. with my unit from Ft. Lewis,Wa. and I road with  the guy that shuttled our conexes  from the railhead  to our area. I was impressed,to say the least. Guess they never really  pushed it in commercial  trucks,with  Uncle Sam buying  so many. Don't know of any quirks  with them. Anybody  else?   Al  

s-l1000.jpg

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

23 hours ago, 57 bcr said:

Paul,I believe  your  thinking of the 9155 Cat semi-auto,right? The M-915 & 916 used those behind an NTC-400. Those trucks would  really run. I went to Ft.Bliss,Tx. with my unit from Ft. Lewis,Wa. and I road with  the guy that shuttled our conexes  from the railhead  to our area. I was impressed,to say the least. Guess they never really  pushed it in commercial  trucks,with  Uncle Sam buying  so many. Don't know of any quirks  with them. Anybody  else?   Al  

s-l1000.jpg

Same unit that's in my M920. Follow the service intervals and don't lug it it will run for ever. My 920 weights 35,000 empty and I've had 27 ton in the dump and it walked out of my back acreage like it was nothing. I like it better that the Allison 

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

23 hours ago, 57 bcr said:

Paul,I believe  your  thinking of the 9155 Cat semi-auto,right? The M-915 & 916 used those behind an NTC-400.

Went and snapped a pic of mine, should get the missing tags for mine that you have  in your pic.

2v2uEkTiWxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

23 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Went and snapped a pic of mine, should get the missing tags for mine that you have  in your pic.

2v2uEkTiWxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki

So guys-how do you drive these Cats?  Put it in a slot-say 5, and it sequentially upshifts from 1 thru 5 or is each "gear" selected with the stick i.e. put it in "1" and it stays in "1" until you move selector up??

Mine you need to  manually shift each gear, unless loaded or I have a person in a rush behind me, I start in 3 or 4 and skip every other gear to the top.

P.T.CHESHIRE