1950 Mack LFT

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

most of our trucks are automatics now....bob

All our new ones are too.    In our specific operation we "only haul bread" so they try cutting ours back to 160hp.    Atleast that's how they run anyway.   It does pull a little better then my B but nowhere like they should.     

I used to drive for an nissens bakery in 70s and they were very low powered.... now our latest rigs Kenworth 2015 to present. The company has them all choked off they won't pull the Hills like they used to so don't feel alone.  Bob

me an a buddy of mine were saying,,,,the other day to weed out the jackasses thier always hiring,,,,they otta roadtest all the new hires on a 2 stick,,,,but then i rethought it and decided,,if they did that,,they would never find anyone to come to work here lol.bob:chili:

• Like 1

my boss is a different breed of animal.

my current T800 has a 475 C13 with an eaton 8II trans. 

the low boy is a W900 with a 500 C 15 and 18 speed. the  T880 has a 550 cummins with auto . 

and the new T880 he just ordered to replace my T800 is getting the 550 Cummins and auto trans too. 

he knows larger engine uses less fuel. 

one of the guys we run with has a T880 with the 370 paccar engine and auto trans, it will not get out of its own way empty. and only gets 3.5 mpg. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

4 hours ago, mowerman said:

I used to drive for an nissens bakery in 70s and they were very low powered.... now our latest rigs Kenworth 2015 to present. The company has them all choked off they won't pull the Hills like they used to so don't feel alone.  Bob

Bob did you drive for Nissen in Ma.?

i used to go there all the time....my cousin and his parents ,,,my aunt an uncle.....live near there as well....stougton dont know if i spelled that rite.....brockton used to take alotta bread.good ole days was a real good job....got laid off right after deregulation....moved west in 1980......had enough of shit weather.....grew up in madison NJ...then most of my upbringing was in peobody.......bob

theres someone on here from chelmsford.....i used to stop for coffee there..at dunkin donuts...alot on my way to worcester....i think....its been alotta years....but i do remember skips restaraunt across the street from  dunkin,,, had the best corned beef hash known to man.....bob

im sure you remember,,,brockton wasnt a bakery it was just a distribution point and thrift store....i used to have to go there sometimes on a saturday with an empty just to bring back empty baskits whole 45 footer full of them back to lynn....bob

51 minutes ago, mackey58 said:

Empty  baskets in a 45 footer da big heavy load  lol

Atleast he said a full load.     I do store delivery with a 53' trl and I brought 15 piles of empty bread trays home Tuesday morning.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mowerman said:

im sure you remember,,,brockton wasnt a bakery it was just a distribution point and thrift store....i used to have to go there sometimes on a saturday with an empty just to bring back empty baskits whole 45 footer full of them back to lynn....bob

When you took a left off the main road and then a right onto Foster St. which Nissen's was on my house was the second one on the right but I didn't buy it until 1989 long after you left. When I bought the house, my mother commented that there were tractor trailers going up and down the street. I was like aaand? whats the problem?

• Like 1

well we used to be running in there all hours of the night,,,,i used to try to drive at low RPMs thru there....come to think of it,,,,,we had the same problem here recently...i used to drop freight out here middle of night same situation residential area bishop california    they recently moved out of town ....i dont go there anymore....but now our drop dock is way out of town..away from houses......bob