long awaited work shop finally started

mowerman

Looks like the job goes fast.

The best feeling is when you're coming in to the building you just found out is ready to put your rigs into. Observing the structure up and down and growing up plans in your had of what to put where. Wish you'll be at that point soon. Good luck on the project!

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

thanks,,,,yes im pretty excited to start building work benches and hanging tools and shelves....as i mentioned got lots of pals willing to help with assembly  ,,,but most of them are all night freight drivers like me......nice of them to offer but good luck finding them on thier days off:idunno:.....bob

i think this guy built my house. there is not one square corner in the whole place.

This is why "if you want something done right you should do it yourself " 

Bob,  best of luck with your project..... im sure you and your friends will do fine. 

Edited by Loadstar
  • Like 1

i think this guy built my house. there is not one square corner in the whole place.

My old house isn't horrible, but it had a bad sag in the middle going into the living room area.  You would walk and feel it dip down.  Now, it has a 3/4 basement with a crawl space so there is sorta a foundation wall supporting that crawl space right under that dip area.  I was able to get a big bottle jack on the block and jack the floor til it felt straight.  A few accurately cut 4x4's made nice supports and 13 yrs later the floor is still level.

I just had vinyl siding done a few weeks ago and the guy was telling me how bowed the walls were, you could see the roof ridge difference.   Once he sided it and closed in the ridge areas it looks nice and straight.  You couldn't really tell before, but he did a nice job of keeping it looking straight when done.  Same with roof when he did it a few years back.  It dips and moves around.  You can't tell, he was able to run the shingles and hide it very well.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

getting a little pissed,,,these guys dont move too fast....scheduled 2 weeks vacation for this project....back to work monday night... thier supposed to be pouring monday....little bit concerned about driving all night with maybe no nap....they were supposed to be pouring yesterday....oh well i guess we cant have it all.....bob

My old house isn't horrible, but it had a bad sag in the middle going into the living room area.  You would walk and feel it dip down.  Now, it has a 3/4 basement with a crawl space so there is sorta a foundation wall supporting that crawl space right under that dip area.  I was able to get a big bottle jack on the block and jack the floor til it felt straight.  A few accurately cut 4x4's made nice supports and 13 yrs later the floor is still level.

I just had vinyl siding done a few weeks ago and the guy was telling me how bowed the walls were, you could see the roof ridge difference.   Once he sided it and closed in the ridge areas it looks nice and straight.  You couldn't really tell before, but he did a nice job of keeping it looking straight when done.  Same with roof when he did it a few years back.  It dips and moves around.  You can't tell, he was able to run the shingles and hide it very well.

The house I am restoring in Charleston, SC also had a pretty substantial sag towards the middle of the house which I assumed was a rotted out girt or floor joist(s). While most of the floor joists were rotted in the house, the sag was caused when the plumbers, in 1964 when the house was built, cut a 3" hole straight down through the 3 1/2" girt for a 1 1/2" drain and just to make sure the floor failed also removed the pier that was supporting the girt as well as I guess it was just too much work to route the supply copper around the pier instead of knocking it down.

We sistered new beams and put the pier back after jacking the old beam up with hydraulic jacks. All nice and level now. We did end up replacing about 70% of the floor joists due to rot caused by a leaky A/C system that caused condensation in the crawl space.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

didnt think people were that lazy back then,,,,and im sure they probably werent....glad you got it squared away....bob

The percentage of lazy and incompetent people never changes. But, I'm pretty sure there were no building codes in the area when this was built, so no one checked to make sure the work was at least code compliant. I'm sure the sign on the plumber's truck said "Good enough is good enough."

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

26 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

plus most of the contractors back then figured "close enough" was close enough and did not bother using a plumb bob, T-square, or in the event of the guy that built my house, a ruler 

Our houses main section in Virginia was built in 1848, an addition doubled the size in 1929 with a living room, bakery and solarium. In 1946 a big  kitchen, pantry, laundry room, attached 3 car garage with a 6 room apartment over the garage was added in 1946.The oldest part in the most level and true. The newer the additions the less they leveled and measured. Biggest issue was a brass pipe in the wall by one of the fir places with a stick jammed in it. The stick fell out when I touched it and natural gas came out. The entire old section of gas lighting supply was intact and live. Figured it was live with gas since 1895 when it as post and tube wired (which was still used for 3rd floor lighting when we bought it.). Also had over 200 Automatic Fireman Cabon-tet balls all through the house

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

14 hours ago, tjc transport said:

it really amazes me how the pioneers could build a log house with nothing but an axe, and make it almost perfectly square. but the builders of 1940's through 2000 can not even get within 2 inches of square with all the technology they had at their disposal. 

and another thing that amazes me is that in a storm now you might see roofs blown off, or sheds blown over, and there'll be an old barn in a field that's been leaning for the last 20 years, built 50 or 60 years ago, and it's still standing after the storm.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.