Rustproofing formula needed- new vehicle

1958 F.W.D.

So I bought a new-to-me 2013 Ram 1500 Pickup. Got tired of my 08 Silverado and the myriad of issues I was having with it and it nickel and diming me to death. One of the problems was that it the frame and sheet metal began to rot out badly. I travel Pa State roads for about 80% of my driving and the beet juice they put down in the winter is brutal. A while back someone posted a formula for spraying the underside of vehicles- put it into a pesticide pump and spray away. I think it was a gallon of diesel and 2 quarts of cheap ATF or something like that. Does anyone recall this and if so, what was that formula???? The truck only has 34,000 on it and is still pretty clean as far as rust goes and I would like to keep it that way. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I don't recall what you are looking for but I use "used " hydraulic fluid drained from equipment.  I use a sprayer that Summit Racing had and works pretty good.  The hydraulic fluid doesn't attack rubber.  Use about 3 qts. per vehicle.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Fluid Film works well. They have a spray applicator you can purchase. Fluid Film also works for many other things. Hippy.......

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Undercoating-Gallon-bottles-everything/dp/B0048770KE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1503274777&sr=8-6&keywords=fluid+film

MackMB I found this on Amazon, have you ever used it before and do you think one gallon is enough for a 1500 Ram 4-door with a short bed and the wheel wells??

Here is the new (used) ride. 2013 Ram 4x4, 5.7 with the 8 speed. Full width rear doors. Took her out to Mechanicsburg Pa today for the part time job. 16.4 average mpg, had I not done so much local driving in town that would have been higher. Rides as smooth as butter melting on a hot buscuit. 

599a338b34a78_2013Dodge08_18_2017.thumb.jpg.bf06eabe091dd0f9e5a25efa7b0c0806.jpg

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

most guys up here in the rust belt New York State just use used ATF. most all out vehicles are junk in a few years to, makes you sick to think of spending 55-60 grand on a new cartruck and have it rotted in 5 years. Ny has the 'bare road policy', cause every moron up here cant drive in the snow

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Have friends  that  use ATF  in a garden sprayer. Like hatcity  says,"you'll have  plenty  of  drippings". These guys park on the gravel for a few days,before  going  back  on the concrete. Have to do that myself. Picked up a '09 Tahoe  that was from New Mexico. Here comes winter and all its  corrosive  chemicals. Great!   Al  

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

One of the reasons that I pulled the trigger on a new ride was the fact that the Silverado had a bad oil leak and was getting worse (qt of oil every 3-4 days....) and a resident complained about drippage on his driveway- therefore if I can use a product like that fluid film described above, I would rather go that route even if I have to pay for it. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

Back in the day there were places around in New England that would "rust proof" your vehicle with used motor oil and then drive it through a dusty field to soak up the excess oil.

Did you check with FCA to see what the corrosion warranty is on the new ride? Some manufacturers void the warranty if it is after market rust proofed.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

http://www.getgibbs.com/about-us/ read the about us paragraph. I have a friend who did this with 40's dodge to preserve the patina and keep it from rusting. It looked decent I thought. I am really surprised they say you can paint over it. Hey TD Bach ever hear of that or tried it?

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

up here we have the Rust Cop Shop which rust proofs your vehicle. I know the village does it with all their vehicles and we do it with our tow trucks. we used the Rust cop shop once then last year we had a mobile guy come around and do it. sure makes a mess and don't expect to wash or detail your truck for a while, I know this is nothing like the 'Rusty Jones' or Zbart crap we all used in the 80's . the mobile guy up here uses vegetable oil

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

FWD, back in the 70s a guy in my terminal had an early Ford falcon, Pittsburgh Pa uses a lot of salt and the car was rust free! He told me he mixed about a pint of kerosene with the detergent when he washed the car! New clean atf night be better as it doesn't attack rubber,or brake fluid! Would be fun cleaning the Windows though!

Has           nothing to do with rustproofing, but I saw an amusing ad on Missoula Montana's Craigslist. 1970 International loadstar 1600,single axle c/c  runs drives and stops,345 engine 4 speed with2 speed axle tires are round and black!😁 750.00  Truck looks better than you might expect given its age! Seller definitely has a sense of humor! Made me think of the movie "Christmas story" where little Ralphie is helping the old man change a flat."The old man's spare is only a tire in the academic sense"

Try fish oil, block up the door drain holes except 1 and with a flexible spray tube pump in the fish oil and else where spray as best you can especially all the under side - will smell bad for maybe 2 weeks but works well.

Make sure you air blast the drain areas around the front fenders, usually lots of leaves and dust accumulates in these unseen spots, once clean of dust rinse out let dry and then feed the fish oil in.

WD 40 is diluted fish oil - both don't hurt the rubbers, there is no acid or corrosive in them

Fish oil, wd 40 and lanolin is good protection for today's thin cheap/chrome, just wipe over chrome with damp rag.