Mack AI460 AI427 AMI low torque low horsepower poor fuel mileage granite , dead dog , remediation

On 3/4/2019 at 3:08 PM, OldRedMack said:

If possible, keep the studs soaked in penetrating fluid for a couple days before you try to remove the manifold.

Something to add, I came across SB214048 - Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud Removal - ASET Engines in case someone does break a stud doing the manifold removal, according to the bulletin, the studs are too hard for conventional stud removal methods and this procedure could save from having to buy another cylinder head.. Hope this helps anyone!

SB214048 - Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud Removal - ASET Engines.pdf

Edited by ivanuke
  • Thanks 1

Yes , removal of Inconel exhaust studs are fun. Forget drilling them. I have done several using new, fresh extractor rods. Set your amperage on an old Inconel stud in a vise. Preheat and quench the broken stud a couple times. Finally weld all the way out and attach a new grade 8, 1/2" nut to the buildup. While doing the buildup plunge the rod deep into the broken stud. I have had 100% success rate . Good luck. 

I drilled two broken studs out on this thread truck. I’ll agree, it’s no fun. Lawson supplies some outstanding bits and worked my way up from 1/8” till I was on the edge of touching threads. Inserted a ball burr down to bottom and made a small 🍭 lollipop at the base of stud at inner threads with the die grinder. Tapped and drove the threads forward into the void and picked/blew them out. Worked OK, you need to be cautious. Mess up you still have heli-coil options. 

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, johnsnowkornar said:

Do you want to keep your car paint intact and flawless for more extended periods?

Nobody likes a critic John, I understand. But Damn!, for a guy born in 1993 you've already destroyed yourself. You look like Anthony Hopkins on METH. Time to quit smoking & drinking and trade-up those 2 granny lap dogs...….

Image result for bulldog pics

(I'm declaring open season on computer generated accounts)

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ivanuke said:

Has anyone seen an increase in fuel efficiency after doing these modifications? If so what kind of improvement?

Yes, but it is a dump truck so I dont calculate fuel mileage.  On average I'm probably saving an 1/8 of a tank or better a day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Had a question about my 2005 Mack Granite CV713. Last eight of vin: 032699

I have a 370 hp motor that has Columbus Diesel low flow laser cut injectors. Increased power quite a bit. I did the E7 exhaust manifold swap and ordered the 631GC5153M turbo and 5” turbo to stack pipes from Grand Rock. After I install the turbo and pipes, what update should I have my Mack shop do on my unit? Thanks-Ken

2 hours ago, ramairiii said:

Had a question about my 2005 Mack Granite CV713. Last eight of vin: 032699

I have a 370 hp motor that has Columbus Diesel low flow laser cut injectors. Increased power quite a bit. I did the E7 exhaust manifold swap and ordered the 631GC5153M turbo and 5” turbo to stack pipes from Grand Rock. After I install the turbo and pipes, what update should I have my Mack shop do on my unit? Thanks-Ken

I don't think that's the right turbo for a 370, that's the right turbo for a 427/460. I'm going to change the thread page #1 so no one mistakenly steals my 460HP turbo number I listed. Go directly to Columbus Diesel and ask if they have a recommended turbo to match the injectors they sold you. If they don't recommend a specific spec use an identical YTS Turbo Red and Burrens have on their 370.

Check to see what VECU software level your at and have them install the latest.

Edited by Mack Technician

1 hour ago, ramairiii said:

Thanks Mack Technician. My truck smokes a lot on takeoff and shifts and the exhaust temp gets up to redline on hard pulls. Was hoping this bigger turbo would help me out. 

Might?.....but I wouldn’t want to be the one to gamble with your money by recommending it. Your truck isn’t unique except for your injectors. The other guys already did the homework with KS injectors & YTS and ended up with manageable EGTemps, good power and more boost @ AMI370 than our AI460. 

19 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Might?.....but I wouldn’t want to be the one to gamble with your money by recommending it. Your truck isn’t unique except for your injectors. The other guys already did the homework with KS injectors & YTS and ended up with manageable EGTemps, good power and more boost @ AMI370 than our AI460. 

YTS turbochargers in griffin, Georgia.  Tell him what you have and he will take care of you.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Man, Picked up my 05, finally got the wet kit sorted out and got her on the road.

Background. Healthy E Model Cat's with 18 speeds.

The Mack, 460 with an 8 or 10 speed? Yellow button with all gears backwards too.

This thing is in between gears and gutless something fierce. She definitely don't pull like the 98 or 97 427 I drove many moons ago.

I REALLY appreciate this thread, looks like I've got some homework to do to get my old girl running like she ought to be. Got to say other than the go pedal I really like a lot of the other stuff on this Granite!

Edited by 307bulldog

4 minutes ago, 307bulldog said:

Man, Picked up my 05, finally got the wet kit sorted out and got her on the road.

The Mack, 460 with an 8 or 10 speed? Yellow button with all gears backwards too.

This thing is in between gears and gutless something fierce. She definitely don't pull like the 98 or 97 427 I drove many moons ago.

I REALLY appreciate this thread, looks like I've got some homework to do to get my old girl running like she ought to be. Got to say other than the go pedal I really like a lot of the other stuff on this Granite!

That vintage Granite is a nice driving truck. User friendly. We’ve had very few gremlins beyond a new dash board. If your 460 you can directly use numbers we applied to the thread truck. 

Much appreciated. I love the specs on this truck, came from a big dirt outfit.

14,600 front, 40 or 44k rears on camelback, 12k drop axle, single 3/8 frame. It weighs about 5,500 less than my lowboy truck, so definitely going to make side dumping a lot more fun when the law comes into play.

I can't get over how big the cab is on this thing, there's seriously room for a entire mini-fridge to put your lunch in, and that's with keeping the passenger seat there! Vision outta the thing doesn't even feel like you're in a truck, and I've always liked how Mack did their battery boxes, air tanks, and fuel tanks, simple and out of the way on the frame from the cab back.

Looks like getting some stuff swapped around on the motor is in order for a winter project, hopefully that will wake her up enough to get by with the trans that's in there, Not really looking forward to putting another transmission in a truck this year, but this thing could definitely benefit from a 13 or an 18, or go old school and hang a brownie!

Still like my KW's with my Cat's but this ride is really growing on me, and that's even after realizing the motor needs some help!

Thanks again for this thread and the prompt reply, I can see myself being back with questions!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 307bulldog said:

If you're use too eaton/fuller trans this will always feel in between gears.  My only advice for that is using the low/low and low holes in the high range.  Low/low is kinda in between 2-3 gear and low is kinda in between 3-4 gear.

• 3 weeks later...

I bring sad news today, our beloved Mack Technician has been removed from BMT, his forum spirit still lingers seeking closure and brings with him a message from the forum afterlife.. he wishes for everyone to know he cannot communicate with the countless people he has helped and continue to ask questions in this amazing thread, while his account does not reflect any status of being removed, he assures behind the scenes hes been hit and does not have access to his PMs or posting. His technical contributions to this forum have saved me so much time and money in my own business and was my favorite go to expert anything Mack related truly a great resource that will be missed.  I hope this thread continues on and helps many others just as he would have intended. Let us take a moment in remembering a great contributor to this forum!

MT.png.d3a9fc45490dbb9e44af702d79252b70.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yea , what happened? I loose my password to this place from time to time and sometimes take me a month or more to find it and log back in . But always like coming back here. Mack Technician did the homework and wasn’t afraid to swap parts around on the ASET engines to try to get them to run like they should.