Anybody ever convert a RW to Cummins power?

GOOG

I am half thinking of converting my Superliner from an E6-400 to an N14-500 Cummins.  Anyone here have an idea how difficult and expensive to make such a switch?  Would Mack even have this stuff anymore?  Any help would be appreciated.

If parts were not so scarce, I'd have that E9 in a heartbeat! I passed on a very nice CL700 last year.  It was everything I wanted (heavy spec) with a fresh E9 V8.  I know a couple guys with them, and they scared me away. 

Are you building a work truck or play truck? Spending months re-engineering or even botching a major engine swap is wasting months you could have spent earning a living running the truck. If you're just playing around and have too much spare time on your hands, have at it!

I'm  considering doing the same swap since I came across an n-14 for free still in the wrecked Volvo. Of course it would be a fair amount of work, and I figured I could just fab up some engine mounts. It just seems like a sacrilege to take out a Mack engine to put in a cummins. I would really like to put in an e-7.

N14 is longer than a Mack 6 and won't fit in a CH- That's why Mack built the CL. Makes more sense to rebuild what's already in the truck or swap like for like- Putting an N14 where it was never designed to fit would involve modifying the firewall and doghouse or moving the cab back and lengthening the hood, changing both the engine and trans mounts, fabricating intake and exhaust plumbing and adapting to the Mack radiator, etc.. If the transmission and final drives are a mismatch, figure on changing those too. Probably be easier just to build your own truck...

It's just an engine swap. People have been doing it for years. You could buy one with a cummins in it already, but you could be buying a lemon. These truck are 30 years old now, without proper maintenance it's a big risk. If you know your truck is good then I'd still consider doing it. 

Just giving a different point of view. 

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

I believe Dog Rescue is talking about his CH, an N14 won't fit there. The N14 will fit a Superliner, Mack even installed some... Which is the easiest way to get an N14 powered Superliner.

Was talking about the original poster.    terry

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

I believe Dog Rescue is talking about his CH, an N14 won't fit there. The N14 will fit a Superliner, Mack even installed some... Which is the easiest way to get an N14 powered Superliner.

Nope I'm talking about our superliner.

• Like 1