The three stick Mack

So I just joined the forum. For a long time there's one Mack truck that I've been wanting info on. A truck that a majority of people would call bs if you told them about. The three stick Mack. I first heard of it from a late friends of mines dad. Then talked about it with a guy I worked with. Even met a random guy at the fair who even told me. I've only seen two photos total of the interior with the sticks on the web and talk about on this forum on the dude with fake three stick kenworth (an eaton 13 with sticks for the splitters) I Beleve it was Mackdaddy that mentioned it. I want to know what years it came in, what model , where I could find one, and if there's a way I could  talk someone into me driving one. I would greatly appreciate info. I would like pics too.

Three sticks are out there.  Two stick Mack duplex, triplex or quad box transmission and then just add another stick for the brownie. 

There will be no specific Mack model or years of production other than back when truck manufacturers would build whatever the customer wanted.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I've seen pics of a few Macks with three sticks.  I have three sticks in my B61.  It's a triplex and I put a 4spd aux behind it when I stretched the truck.

The 4spd is run in Direct for the most part.  The ratio's are the same as the compound so it is redundant if you try to shift it going down the road. I use it for the deep under and the extra OD on the highway.

SDC11021.JPG

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

back in the early 90's we had a superliner that had a three stick setup. originally a V8 truck, it was converted to six cylinder 350hp after the V8 blew up. it had  the standard "mud stick" setup, 5 speed main, and low/direct second stick. then a third stick for deep reduction.  

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I've heard about one that's the triplex with a two speed rear. And heard there's three 150 rpm shifts. I really want to watch someone drive that. I bet not even 1% of the public could drive it. Anyone got a video behind the wheel of one. And is there one up for grabs in northwestern Pennsylvania.

I've never seen a triplex with a two speed axle,but it is definitely possible! If you had one you would split the two sticks of the triplex one or two handed like you normally would, and shift the two speed with the button last ( or first) depending on the load or road conditions! It is fairly common to see a roadranger in combination with a "Brownie" a Brown Lipe auxiliary usually three speed especially in heavy haul applications! There has been a 1960 Diamond T on Craigslist in Brainard Minnesota with a ten speed RR, and a three speed Brownie for quite a while! Also a K model International with a RR and a Brownie on u tube! The driver with the K model has a video of him driving it in the Colorado mountains !

7 hours ago, Mastewart said:

How difficult would it be to build a three stick tranny. I know it's not one tranny it's one with brownies. But what's available what would one use. And what's your limit with engine displacement.

Hi there, I got a 3 stick 1953 LTL. It was that way from factory and it was not the only one built. I have seen one or two others through the years as well. Each gear is 250-300 RPM splits. the set up was used out on the West Coast. The trans set up was a Duplex and a Brownie. The way I drive it is the 9 speeds in the Duplex and then the last two shift in the 3 speed Brownie. The brownie has the second overdrive. The stick layout is Brownie stick to the left, center is the 5 speed, right is the 2 speed Duplex split. The truck does 65MPH with 5.77 rears, that was the high speed option back then. Also something that you may not have seen is the supercharged Cummins in the LTL, The total combinations are 27 forwards and 6 reverse if someone wanted to do some gear jammin!! 

Holy Smokes there is a load of Wasp nest in that cab!!! That should make for some fun driving. That is the same trans and stick layout that I was saying.

Cool truck with the extended hood and radiator.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BillyT said:

I've never seen a triplex with a two speed axle,but it is definitely possible! If you had one you would split the two sticks of the triplex one or two handed like you normally would, and shift the two speed with the button last ( or first) depending on the load or road conditions! It is fairly common to see a roadranger in combination with a "Brownie" a Brown Lipe auxiliary usually three speed especially in heavy haul applications! There has been a 1960 Diamond T on Craigslist in Brainard Minnesota with a ten speed RR, and a three speed Brownie for quite a while! Also a K model International with a RR and a Brownie on u tube! The driver with the K model has a video of him driving it in the Colorado mountains !

I think i've seen that video, I know of one that I have on a DVD that's a KB12 International with a 13 speed trans, 3 speed aux, and a 2 speed rear!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

5 hours ago, Mastewart said:

Truck shop, how much would you take for the truck?

That B-71 is not mine, I have been after it for years. The guy who owns it has the idea it's a gold mine, so it is for sale. But he wants WAY To Much for it.  He is talking 25K and up depending

on your looks.

Truck Shop

One ping only

It would be Great to see another B71 out at shows. I have only seen one at at the Oregon ATHS show a few years ago.

Looking at the photos it is about as original as you are going to fine and is not rusted or dented to hell. Being new to old Macks i hope you have a lot of hands on mechanical experience, aware that everything is big and heavy. and have a very large bank account to get a restoration to the finish line.

It is definitely a low production B with the Cunnings, 3 stick and has been sitting for year. It will not be going anywhere fast if the price is $25K. Before you go Mack crazy and buy it contact Dan Thomas (Mackdaddy) in Oregon he has and knows of a lot of trucks worth something in that area. His restored trucks are second to none, he may even have what you are looking for, super nice guy. I know he had a 3 stick LT with a 275 Cummins, in restoration, that he was selling awhile back. 

Just a side note, It is cool to have a lot of gears but after the novelty of driving it and shifting every 10 seconds wears off you will be driving it with the Duplex ad shifting the Brownie from direct to high for the second overdrive only.  There are no synchro's in any of these trans and it takes a lot of practice to fell the gears in and not blow a shift and grind. Get two sticks in natural at the same time, pull over to a Complete STOP and start over:rolleyes: 

Edited by AZB755V8
spelling

The K model is on one of the ATHS videos from way back, produces by LongRoad Productions(Lindsey Crawford).  Don Robertson is the owner, lived in Jerome, MN.  He pasted just last year?  If I recall.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That KB12 was Don's pride of his collection. It did have a lot of gears and if I recall a 2 speed rear. It is supercharged cummins powered. 

I got to talk with Don at his last Gold Mine open house before he passed. Don' know what his kids are doing with things but he had a  lot of cool old stuff. He started his 11,000 cubic inch 3 cylinder engine for the guys, man what a monster!! The exhaust sounded like cannons going off.