Damn.

RowdyRebel

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. I think it's the turbo...2 1/2 weeks outside of the 12 month warranty. Holed up in a motel for the night...shop will dig into it tomorrow. Too damn cold to do it on the side of the road & too far from home & any other resources I might have available to lean on to help get it done right myself, so it was towed to a shop.

Hell, ain't put but 76,xxx miles on the SOB since I got the new ReMack motor installed...new turbo with the new motor. Not exactly happy right now, but whatcha gonna do?

IMG_20170109_194851.png

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

6 hours ago, dogg rescue said:

Had my turbo go out at about 750000mi. A buddy of mine had the same amount of miles on his 60 series detroit, so he thought he would avoid my trouble and preemptively replace his. His replacement lasted 3 weeks!

I can relate, have two 16' western star gliders with reman series 60 in them from factory, trucks followed each other down the line ! Also followed each other back to dealer a day apart at 35k with bearings out of turbo !

I lost the original turbo on my EM-6 300L at 502,000 miles.(Lucky me,it grenaded on the exhaust side)Was  close to my local dealer when it launched. They had a ReMack in stock.. Put it on in a parking lot. Low and behold,țhe damn thing had a bent shaft right from ReMack! Unfortunatley,,that was the only one the dealer had in stock.Had a buddy lowboy it to his shop. Got another from the Mack Warehouse. Put it on that night,worked the next day. I was fit to be tied that the ReMack was so defective from the get go. I feel your pain,RR!  Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

While waiting for the wrecker, I pulled the intake and pressure side hoses off...no oil, and a little end play...which matches what happened when I blew the turbo with the old motor still in it several years ago. THAT time, though, the thing went suddenly with a "pop" and then sounded like a siren when it tried to spool up without making boost. Pulled it all apart, found a little end play (but no oil) anywhere...intake, pressure, or exhaust...so decided to "limp" home. Made it about 45 miles until directed to a gravel lot by a state trooper who raised me on the CB and I told "it JUST happened, and I'm trying to get it off the road". Good thing he stopped me there, though, because the air cooler was FULL of oil, and it was getting to the intake. Wouldn't have been long before it would've run away on the oil. That and when I changed the oil while installing the new turbo, there wasn't MUCH left...so I learned not to do that. That time, though, I was 2 hours from home. This time, it's probably 4 1/2 to 5 hours. When it popped and I lost boost, I shut 'er down.

This one didn't go as suddenly, though. The exhaust sounded like it was breathing through a fan...sort of choppy, rather than smooth, for about 50 miles. I had checked the oil when I dropped my load and picked up an empty trailer to see if I was "making" oil...and the oil level was where it was this morning during my pretrip...so I figured it wasn't a stuck injector dumping fuel into the cylinder. Gradual worsening "puff" of black smoke when I'd shift, and then the 4-5 miles right before it popped, it was starting to smoke a little just driving. Being empty and too late for a backhaul, and not wanting to spend the night to grab a load that went out farther before getting a load back home, I was bouncing home...hoping to make it. Was going to pull into Mack in the morning to have it looked at before I pulled another load. Truck had other plans, though...

Hopefully the fact that I shut 'er down quick saves a little on the repairs. I know what I did last time (removed everything between the air cleaner and intake manifold, washed them out w/ dawn, rinsed, dried, new turbo, new air cleaner, oil change w/ new filters)...and that turbo I put on lasted until the motor blew up a couple years later. I guess we'll see...they ought to be picking me up here at the motel in a little bit to head in to the shop and have a look.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Warranty on the turbo was 12 months. I'm at 12 months, 2 1/2 weeks since getting the truck back with the new motor. JUUUUUUST out of warranty, despite only running 76K miles.

Good news & bad, though. Good news is I'm home. Bad news, it was on a hook. They fired it up in their shop this morning and the way it smoked, they said "it ain't the turbo" and suggested it go to Mack. Frankfort, IN was 60 miles. I had them look up Joliet, IL Mack because I've got family up there I could stay with to help cut costs on motels and meals, and it was only 20 miles farther...so I said that's likely where we'll go, but just for S&G, let's get a quote back to Cape Girardeau. 325 miles. They quoted $1400 to go to Cape, which included the mile or so tow to their shop last night and whatever time they had looking at it this morning...and Joliet was only $650 less.

"TAKE ME HOME!"

The way I figure, paying full retail price for parts PLUS sales tax at a dealer I've never been to and likely won't ever go to again would've cost me more than the discounted prices and no sales tax on my account at the local Mack. Not to mention, hourly shop labor rates are probably lower back home vs Chicagoland area. Then, add in the fact that my runs all originate out of this area so when my truck is fixed I can just get back to work instead of having to go back toward where I broke to find a trailer and MAYBE get a back haul and probably waste a day getting back home. So, it was a no-brainer. I'm home.

Tomorrow morning, I'll head back into town to discuss what happened, what they think, what we need to do about it, and a time frame we're looking at to get back on the road. Then, spend some quality time with the wife for a few days 'til I get the truck back.

• Like 1

Driver who towed me both times was pretty cool, too...for a kid. 26 years old, but his attitude and work ethic I would've guessed early 30's at least. As of now, I gotta say they did alright by me. Of course if it turns out that the turbo WAS the only problem, that feeling might change...but I guess it's still better than paying for a turbo to be replaced and it turn out to NOT be the problem. They aren't really an 'internal engine' facility...more or less just basic and minor stuff...and this way it can be checked out to make sure it is fixed right when I get it back.

The parrot on their truck gave me a chuckle...

IMG_20170110_194635.jpg

IMG_20170110_123343.png