EPA verses Alaska

41chevy

3 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

I'm not sure what all this means, but I'm still stocking up on toilet paper.   

and Fritos

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Heavy Gunner,good point! Forest fires are natures way of thinning out the undergrowth that actually prevents TOO MANY forest fires! Sounds like a contradiction but it isn't! Responsible logging actually prevents forest fires! The softwood used mainly for paper,cardboard, and similar products grows quickly a foot or more a year! The problem as always is greed! Even this quick growing wood can be overharvested! Valuable hardwoods like oak and maple used for quality furniture grow more slowly and should be harvested carefully! As much as ! Deplore govt controls many big timber outfits would decimate the forests without them because of the profit associated with hardwood sales! The California redwood and similar trees that take a thousand years to reach full growth shouldn't be harvested at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Don't forget about the millions of acres of public land that burns up every year in the lower 48 since logging has basically been outlawed just like coal. Better to let it burn rather than make a useful product that could be sold or used. 

Ever notice when you pass a bakery of pizza shop you no longer smell the good aroma of cookies or pizza?   A number of years ago the EPA came up with requirement for "particle emissions"  from the baking ovens. But we learned here that that rule protects the neighboring states from . . . something..... 

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

Ever notice when you pass a bakery of pizza shop you no longer smell the good aroma of cookies of pizza?   A number of years ago the EPA came up with requirement for "particle emissions"  from the baking ovens. But we learned here that that rule protects the neighboring states from . . . something..... 

The bakery I work for had to instal catalytic converter type things on our bread/bun ovens. Something about the smell of fresh baked bread.......

31 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

The bakery I work for had to instal catalytic converter type things on our bread/bun ovens. Something about the smell of fresh baked bread.......

I would venture a guess that Opra was on another one of her diets and couldn't be chauffeured around with out smelling fresh bread and thus spoiling her diet, so with her democratic connections the EPA had to act !:D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Fresh baked bread,cookies and fresh from the oven pizza smells to me are heaven scent ( :) )

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Agreed, but you should know a couple more facts that might help add to my pro logger view point. In Montana the forest service used to sell somewhere between 15 and 20 million board feet of timber that is selectively harvested and closely watched by foresters.  Now Montana public lands sells less than 1 million board feet and burns up 10 to 15 million every couple of years. Clear cuts and other poor practices have long been abandoned unless you're on private land which very little of the timbered area in Montana is. No one wants to see a healthier, productive forest then loggers. Notice in the 70's and 80's how few fires Montana had?  Thank a logger for getting rid of the extra fuel load as you pointed out and keeping the pine beetles from killing all our forests which is what we have now. Anywhere you drive here the needles on the trees are turning orange from beetle kill. Then it burns and wastes the timber and money on the firewatchers. 

I couldn't agree more ! during our fires of 14 and 15 we burned just south of a million acres here in Okanogan county, the thinned and grazed land (private) was mostly a ground fire that didn't damage the trees or soil, and easily recovered from the fire. The state and federal ground that had been protected from human intervention was a inferno, that killed the trees and scorched the soil leaving many areas sterile (which causes erosion)  due to the mass destruction much of the timber was not salvaged because the mills couldn't process it quick enough. land owners were lucky to get timber removed after the fire as company's were not paying for burnt wood. and were swimming in offers to come and get it! thus our schools and other areas of our economy  that would have benefited from timber dollars did not. I am hopeful  the new administration will clean up some of our federal land and lessen the danger in our area. we too have major beetle damage in need of attention! I should also add that almost no federal timber was harvested after the fire, the government cant function quick enough to put up a timber sale after a fire, by the time they do none of the mills want to bid on the sale as the timber quality is compromised by that time.   

• Like 2

For being such lovers of the "free market", you guys seem to have missed the whole reason for the lack of logging... Lack of demand for lumber due to the low number of housing starts and the pulp wood market is being hurt by the switch from paper to electronic communications. The Feds could declare "open season" for loggers, and the saws would still be quiet.

For being such lovers of the "free market", you guys seem to have missed the whole reason for the lack of logging... Lack of demand for lumber due to the low number of housing starts and the pulp wood market is being hurt by the switch from paper to electronic communications. The Feds could declare "open season" for loggers, and the saws would still be quiet.

The lack of paper is replaced by Amazon cardboard boxes.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

I live in a pac-rim state we  could export more wood than we saw, but foreign markets are very picky about their timber,  liberals would rather see it burn than support rural community's and schools. the enviro's have launched suit on every timber sale the state issued in the 90's and 2000's. The state has won a few in recent years, but not enough to get caught up on the damaged timber.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

I disagree, the timber industry started taking a steep decline in the late 80's.  The majority of the mills that closed in Montana all happened well before the 2008 housing crash. Tree huggers filing multiple frivolous lawsuits killed the timber industry here. Have you ever seen how much timber we import? I have, I watch train loads of it go by every week and I see the local reload station where Canadian trucks bring in lumber to be distributed here. The open market works when you're not handcuffed by EPA, tree huggers and every other bs group that tries to shut any industry down. The same people who drive their cars to an oil drilling protest. 

https://ncfp.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/montana-mill-closures-4_6_2010.pdf

Exactly !  same thing here heavy haul route from the boarder to Oroville Wa. to get reloaded onto train cars,  our local mill is a 1/4 mile away  from the reload and struggling to stay open, the only thing that keeps them going is they have the largest head gear left in the state, so the oversize gets shipped to them.  about the only heathy forest in the county belongs to the Colville Confederated Tribe, pretty damn sad that the Indians are better land managers that all of the well educated liberals trying to manage our lands!...........perhaps common sense is the key:P :P:P  

• Like 1

Our logging industry in Minnesota isn't having all those problems, and Minnesota has so many environmentalists that it's practically an ATM for the Sierra Club. Looks to me that your just trying to find something else to blame on democrats, and ignore the market forces that are the real cause of shrinking employment in logging, coal, mining, oil, and agriculture. 

5 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Don't waste your time. She hates the country and everything not teamster related and not favoring the democrats. One who thrives on the failures of the country. Probably cheers every time the country stumbles.  An aged 60's hippy progressive and bitter about life.

Waste your hate elsewhere. You don't even know me... I'm in fact fighting the environmentalist's attempt to ban copper mining in Minnesota.

16 minutes ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Our logging industry in Minnesota isn't having all those problems, and Minnesota has so many environmentalists that it's practically an ATM for the Sierra Club. Looks to me that your just trying to find something else to blame on democrats, and ignore the market forces that are the real cause of shrinking employment in logging, coal, mining, oil, and agriculture. 

Let us know when you return from la la land. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.