Hell with the Mall, Lets Fix Something!

TeamsterGrrrl

Little feller looks to be handier than a lunch box! Does it have a hydrostatic trans? I have looked at a few of the Cub Cadets and tried to justify having one of the little critters around, but either my lawn mower, 4 wheeler, or the bobcat will do for the smaller jobs.

What makes these small tractors a good deal is their versatility- I'm getting too old to push a mower and shovel snow! They can mow in the summer, move snow in the winter, pull a plow in the garden, grade the drive, and move heavy stuff too! Deere was pricey until recently though, $20k for a 1 series with a loader and mower. Kubota dealer was more reasonable, $12.5k for a slightly less powerful; 18 HP BX23 with the same implements. Still pricey, but side by sides are going for almost that much and 20k with a cab, heater, etc.... And all they still don't have a PTO or 3 point hitch!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

Little feller looks to be handier than a lunch box! Does it have a hydrostatic trans? I have looked at a few of the Cub Cadets and tried to justify having one of the little critters around, but either my lawn mower, 4 wheeler, or the bobcat will do for the smaller jobs.

Has a hydo tranny with two speed ranges and front wheel assist and power steering.  Loader goes on or off in less than two minutes.  The one thing I did that really surprised was move a 10 X 12 chicken coup complete with insulation and sheet rock.  Jacked-up coup, put fence post at  right angles to "I" beams under building  and hooked beams up to three point.  Had to fill bucket with paver blocks to keep front axle down.  Swapped post back to front as it moved.

Tractor comes stock with three point middle and rear PTOs.  Like the side by side pedals for movement as opposed to "rocker" style.  When making shooting lanes and put bucket about two inches above the ground, to find stumps, then run mower to clear.  Can run tiller at the same time if making food plot type lane, but that really overworks the tractor,

Edited by Keith Pommerening
correction
  • Like 1

When I got my deer I went into it thinking I would end up bringing home a kubota, but after running both I hated the rocker pedal of the orange one. Found the two pedal set up more comfortable . But the other big seller for me was the JD quick mount loader's boom arms are steeper and bring the bucket closer the machine, thus more lifting power in the JD in a size smaller tractor made it cheeper than orange for me ! Thanks for hearing me out, Lol. 

On 11/29/2016 at 0:15 AM, gearhead204 said:

I know every so often they would dump excessive  old stock that didn't sell, the problem is some of the stuff you don't need for 20+ years after it was built.

You can't say this about the stuff that is being built today.

• Like 1

Mrs Mack Paul, the little Kia looks like the ideal utility vehicle! (The worst kind of ridin' beats the best kind of walkin') and that truck doesn't even come close to the worst kind of riding😁 however the "roo guard" might need a bit of reinforcing!

11 hours ago, terry said:

Not trying to change the subject, but I sure like that A40, looks pretty staight !    terry

It is pretty complete.  Only missing the "A40" emblem on the hood side in the picture, a couple of the vertical "shutters" in the radiator shell and battery box door.  Have read some about a chrome or ss A40 strip that runs vertically on center strip of radiator grille. This one doesn't have it.  Kinda wonder if there is any truth in that claim.  Any body have any of those parts they are willing to part with, let me know! Sent to Mack Museum and received some info.  Wow, money well spent!  Was originally sold to Mesabi Service and Supply in Hibbing Mn.  Iron Range country.  Rear diff has been changed to vaccumn shift two speed, an IHC I think.  Original top speed was 47 mph according to Mack Museum info with original diff.  Museum info gives many serial numbers of components that truck was built with, haven't found any that have been changed.  Only options were over sized tires and the driver's seat.  Insterment guages are nice, no broken or cracked glass.

Engine looks to be complete with air brake compressor and two barrel carb, gas motor.  But is stuck.  Have put every kind of magic snake oil known to me, into spark plug holes, but no luck.  Crankcase gets fuller.  There is a piece of steel that runs under door and forward under cowl.  It covers a piece of wood.  It has rusted through near front "A" pillar on both sides.  Have been able to get a title from the state.  Last titled owner helped me with the lost title paper work.  Have it now licensed as a 15,000 lb farm truck.  Don't know if that is good or bad, but have the owners title in my name.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2016 at 1:38 PM, BillyT said:

Keith,that A 40 has all sorts of potential! I can picture a 5.9 with a 10 speed r.r ( bolts right up) or a 4 by 4 if  you can find one!

Did find an old Dodge 12 valve, with all mechanical fuel controls.  Had a weak auto, two wheel drive, and Dana rear axle.  They detune the Cummins from the factory because the auto tranny will not take the torque.  Had a reman trany in it already.  He was asking $1,000.  Probably not a bad deal, still kicking my self for not picking it up.  Old Mack is so complete that I'm not ready to make that move....yet.  When I find out how much it will cost to rebuild the stuck engine, could change my mind.

18 hours ago, Keith Pommerening said:

Did find an old Dodge 12 valve, with all mechanical fuel controls.  Had a weak auto, two wheel drive, and Dana rear axle.  They detune the Cummins from the factory because the auto tranny will not take the torque.  Had a reman trany in it already.  He was asking $1,000.  Probably not a bad deal, still kicking my self for not picking it up.  Old Mack is so complete that I'm not ready to make that move....yet.  When I find out how much it will cost to rebuild the stuck engine, could change my mind.

best of luck   dont blame you i would try to work with the mack engine as well you might get lucky and just wind up with a set of rings and a gaskit kit   pull it all apart carefully,,,,sand and lubricate cylinders before tapping out the pistons real careful.........ive done it before,with a 49 dodge....good luck.....but ya,,,a comeplete running  driveline out of something else  might be the ticket.....truck looks to be in pretty good shape...bob