Hell with the Mall, Lets Fix Something!

TeamsterGrrrl

the problem is manufactures don't want you to fix any thing anymore, spent 2/3 of the day on the puter trying to find parts for a 30 year old tractor. Its too old for the dealer to supply parts and too new for the vintage or classic guys to carry them. never thought a 70 hp. international tractor that sold in the tens of thousands would be obsolete!

• Like 1

I used to work for the dealership I use. We sourced Case IH parts, Case IH vintage parts and dealer parts network (dpn). I found they must have parts thru several sources but I can't get a replacement wiring harness, dash plate or the dash side cowling (plastic crap the sun has killed).

ok if you been thru all that and still can`t find pieces  i most likely don`t have a source either. but i`ll run those numbers by my guy in bridgewater  lawrence equipt and see what he can come up with   he has access to lots of nos

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Like 1

I'm sure its out there ..........just might be in a landfill:o I would be a pack rat if I worked at dpn. I know every so often they would dump excessive  old stock that didn't sell, the problem is some of the stuff you don't need for 20+ years after it was built.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gearhead204 said:

I'm sure its out there ..........just might be in a landfill:o I would be a pack rat if I worked at dpn. I know every so often they would dump excessive  old stock that didn't sell, the problem is some of the stuff you don't need for 20+ years after it was built.

there are bunches of guys around here that are deep into older tractors  and most of our local farmers still use older stuff so there seems to be lots of parts around. just have to find them. pa. has lots  western md. as well as va .and wva.  bet we can find that stuff some where.        how about red power?

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Like 1

I read that lines of people waiting for stores to open were a rarity this year. The article said many people shopped online instead.

That said, I saw few good specials online this year. The good items that you'd want to buy were either not on sale, or had modest discounts that are available throughout the year.

Last year, I waited until Black Friday to buy a wide range of items (online) and did very well. But not this year.

I'm getting annoyed with Amazon in the way they constantly fluctuate the prices. I watched an item fluctuate between $191 and $239 no less than four times in a 24-hour period. I've zero tolerance for that way of doing business.

• Like 2

Hijack away! I first wrote this for a gearhead blog, then submitted it to a big very "liberal" website just for shits and giggles... They loved it and kept it on their front page for two days! Just goes to show that folks across the political spectrum are tired of the Chinese junk and  rebuilding  the old stuff instead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

there are bunches of guys around here that are deep into older tractors  and most of our local farmers still use older stuff so there seems to be lots of parts around. just have to find them. pa. has lots  western md. as well as va .and wva.  bet we can find that stuff some where.        how about red power?

I love my red power! even if part of it is yellow (2410b) the red is two hydro 84's  I have a new Kubota and an 09 case ih 105u, but my favorite is the hydro, having the orchard I spend a lot of hours spraying and that is the most comfortable tractor to spend the day on! after 4-5 hours on the kubota  I have to get off of it for a while  (feel like a monkey riding a football) but they are the most dependable "new" tractor for the orchard application.  

After 6 years of living in the country I'm still shopping for my first tractor. My favorite is the N series Fords, but they're too heavy for my Ranger pickup with it's 3500 pound tow rating to haul around. Then I saw the little Japanese built Ford 1100s and 1200s that Ford sold during the 80s and 90s,  and fell in love- Lighter than an 8N, diesel power, and all wheel drive wrapped in Ford blue! Then I saw the prices... Half the price of a new Kubota or Yanmar powered Deere for a quarter century old tractor? I'm running into the same outrageous pricing for most all the old tractors, other than the really too big tractors or the 8Ns- Heck, I've seen a ratty Kubota that wouldn't even start go for $2K! The IH Cubs are light enough for my pickup to haul, but the implement options are limited. So looks like I'll finally have to break down and buy new, hard to justify spending $5k on a two or three decade old Ford, Kubota, or Yanmar/Deere when I can get a new BX18 Kubota for $9k or a Deere/Yanmar 1 series for not much more.

6 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

After 6 years of living in the country I'm still shopping for my first tractor. My favorite is the N series Fords, but they're too heavy for my Ranger pickup with it's 3500 pound tow rating to haul around. Then I saw the little Japanese built Ford 1100s and 1200s that Ford sold during the 80s and 90s,  and fell in love- Lighter than an 8N, diesel power, and all wheel drive wrapped in Ford blue! Then I saw the prices... Half the price of a new Kubota or Yanmar powered Deere for a quarter century old tractor? I'm running into the same outrageous pricing for most all the old tractors, other than the really too big tractors or the 8Ns- Heck, I've seen a ratty Kubota that wouldn't even start go for $2K! The IH Cubs are light enough for my pickup to haul, but the implement options are limited. So looks like I'll finally have to break down and buy new, hard to justify spending $5k on a two or three decade old Ford, Kubota, or Yanmar/Deere when I can get a new BX18 Kubota for $9k or a Deere/Yanmar 1 series for not much more.

I dunno about in the States, but farm tractors hold their value real good here. Even ones 30 years old are still worth good money. This will change as all the electronics on them will become the thing that fails, and we will end up with tractors parked because you can't get boards for them anymore. Sad but true I feel.

Paul 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I dunno about in the States, but farm tractors hold their value real good here. Even ones 30 years old are still worth good money. This will change as all the electronics on them will become the thing that fails, and we will end up with tractors parked because you can't get boards for them anymore. Sad but true I feel.

Paul 

Paul, the 125 hp. and less tractors are holding their value well here the larger hp. tractors drop pretty good after 10,000 hours or 20 years.  A good case Ih Magnum 7130 mfd  with 7-8000 hours is worth around 30-35k a newer mx255 with duals front and rear with 4-5000 hours will bring around 50-55k ,  a 300 + hp  steiger  like a 9150 can be had for 30k, some times less, combines seam to face plant rather quickly what was a 170k machine will be a 30k machine in 10 years or less and only have 3-4k hours on the machine.

• Like 1

Those figures arent to far off here either if you took the exchange rate into it you can buy a lot of tractor for not a lot of money these days and still do a full days work with them day in day out air con cabs quiet power shift all the things you  need for not a lot of coin 

Paul

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

what I cant figure out is a side by side UTV costs more than a compact tractor, a whole lot more machining goes into a tractor! I guess UTV's are for play and there for worth more.......I don't get it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

what I cant figure out is a side by side UTV costs more than a compact tractor, a whole lot more machining goes into a tractor! I guess UTV's are for play and there for worth more.......I don't get it!

I agree a crazy price and what are they really any good for especially out here the bloody steering wheel is on the wrong side 

A few years ago bought me a little Kia Ceres 4 x 4 for a couple of grand has a cab a tipping tray  diesel does 100 km/h drive it town if I want and goes anywhere on the farm cost 2 tenths of stuff all to run and yeah its uncool and looks a bit different but its better than one of them side be side thingy's

Paul

• Like 2

On 11/28/2016 at 9:33 PM, gearhead204 said:

the problem is manufactures don't want you to fix any thing anymore, spent 2/3 of the day on the puter trying to find parts for a 30 year old tractor. Its too old for the dealer to supply parts and too new for the vintage or classic guys to carry them. never thought a 70 hp. international tractor that sold in the tens of thousands would be obsolete!

Another good place for new parts for old tractors in antiquetractorsrus.com Maggie is very helpful. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Teamster Grrrl, on the subject of Chinese junk, Consumer Reports, which mostly evaluates yuppified electronics b.s. did a road test on the Buick Envision and they prefaced  The report with  CHINESE built Buick Envision! The italics are mine,but they seldom mention where a vehicle is made! Not surprisingly the car got poor ratings! A compact suv with a 45k price tag! I believe this is the first American badged car built in China! Even if you didn't care about made in America,there is NO reason to buy a Chinese built car! There is a full selection of reliable competitively priced cars in every category! Admittedly in the late 70s to early 90s many American cars had half ass build quality, and the Japanese cars were more reliable.The American carmakers have seen the light and are building reliable cars now! Even the majority of foreign carmakers have models built in America! GM quietly slipped the Envision on us and if we buy it pretty  quick they will all be built there! This is one of the few times where we actually have a choice! They want to see if we will buy it! And I predict that the average asshole American consumer (the same ones who buy all the Chinese power tools ) with the iconic names like Milwaukee and Rockwell will buy it! I am going to keep an eye on this car built by exploited workers paid subsistence wages in a polluted country to see it's long term reliability! Comments please!

On 11/30/2016 at 6:43 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

A few years ago bought me a little Kia Ceres 4 x 4 for a couple of grand has a cab a tipping tray  diesel does 100 km/h drive it town if I want and goes anywhere on the farm cost 2 tenths of stuff all to run and yeah its uncool and looks a bit different but its better than one of them side be side thingy's

Paul

The one-ton Kia Ceres four-wheel drive truck was exported to the Philippines, Latin America, Australia and Turkey.

image 1.jpg

• Like 2