Newbie with 1980 Mack R model dump truck

I just picked up a 1989 Mack r model from an auction and I am going to try and get it back on the road. Where can I find parts for these trucks. Im in Texas and I need interior switches. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also can anyone tell me from the picture of the vin if r611 is the model number?

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

I would  start at the bus bar on the firewall (under the hood,below the drivers windshield). The terminals  get a little crusty when the  vehicle  is unused  for any length of time. Get out your test light and start poking around on the terminals. A good  cleaning(small wire brush - WITH THE POWER DISONNECTED!)and then reconnect  the terminals,will often be the culprit. If not,the cleaning should  be  done anyway and won't  be chalked up as wasted time. I know of one fleet locally that would spray the bus bars of brand new trucks with non-metallic  high-tac  gasket spray as a protectant  to prevent future corrosion. The same should be done with the terminal  strips on each side of the grille opening that provide  power to the lights. If you don't  have  the  schematic  handy,do one terminal at a time so you don't  end up with mismatched  wiring. Good  luck,and  let us know if it worked for  you. Truck looks  good  just needs a little TLC & you'll be fine.    Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Not to be too obvious, but have you checked the fuses? If none of the lights work I'd also check to make sure you have a good ground by checking continuity to the frame from the body.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Where are you in Texas?  Local Mack, Watts get an account with PAI Industries so you can look up parts don't forget ebay and other online venders.

I use a local parts distributor for PAI I pay by credit card and they drop ship to my house usally 1 to 2 days depending what time it is

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...