Antique Status

I have an 1986 Mack RD685S is it considered antique now? I work the truck every day and have since I purchased it in 2002 so it just doesn't seem 'antique' to me. If it is are there any percs to owning and working an antique truck? ie: licensing fees, insuring and such?

5 hours ago, farmer52 said:

If you license it as an "antique", most states restrict the usage (i.e. parades, shows, etc.) but cannot be used "for hire" or commercial service.  Check with your state BMV to be sure.

OK Thanks, I am reasonably sure my state has restrictions but I'll check to be sure.

Antique tags and insurance prohibit it to be used for commercial  or paid work.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

stupid ques but how is Pa gonna know if there are trophys or ribbons? I have actually heard of dot harassin someone over sellin t shirts at a show, that were transported to the show in a historic vehicle tho

The gent I bought my toter from was a drag racer and he mentioned that one of his concerns was winning money while racing and thus being considered a "commercial venture" that would require a CDL. He checked with a state police officer he knew and basically the officer said if anyone tried to stretch the law to that point they didn't belong in law enforcement.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

10 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

stupid ques but how is Pa gonna know if there are trophys or ribbons? 

I was also told that technically if I'd haul something for someone else and they bought me lunch, drink, or  fuel that is considered compensation and making it illegal.                                                       I couldn't haul my kubota to your house   and dig a flower bed for either, if u paid me anything.        But... "freinds can help either out".  for free.                                            They are pretty strict with the rules I guess because its only a one time fee to get antique or classic tags.                       But like any law it's all left open for the person enforcing its opinion .   

22 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Antique tags and insurance prohibit it to be used for commercial  or paid work.

100% correct.

Antique's are considered anything over 25 years old. But as Mcrafty1 said the truck is still in Commercial use. There are more than a few 30 plus year old trucks still working and do not qualify for reduced tag and insurance cost. The truck must be retired from service. The fine in AZ is real high if you get pulled over, it is like DUI you can't afford it here... I do not know of any state that would put a weight tag on an Antique plate and there are a lot of restriction as well to begin with. All of my "Antique's" do not have Antique plates. Here there is no advantage but only disadvantages going Antique. Here to haul/tow the declared GVW weight has to be on the registration. Insurance is the main cost savings but carries restrictions, "no commercial use" in any way and some companies will not let you tow a RV camper on these policies. Only your own property and you can not have a business use for the vehicle at all. No money can be gained in anyway from use of the truck. The point is IF you are in an accident and found doing something considered commercial, racing, pulling, selling stuff and use the truck to haul it, etc. You are screwed and Antique insurance is void as well as the plates. The truck has to be registered in you'r name or Antique Museum's. I was told taking trucks to ATHS and other shows, if there was a paid admission fee to look at them it was questionable. Someone was profiting from their use or being there.

• Like 1

The biggest problem is a class 20 in pa is $1561.00 a year.   Antique or classic is only a one time fee of $75.   For a working truck there's no way around it.  For a hobby truck it's hard to justify the cost.   

Edited by Hobert62

18 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

I was also told that technically if I'd haul something for someone else and they bought me lunch, drink, or  fuel that is considered compensation and making it illegal.                                                       I couldn't haul my kubota to your house   and dig a flower bed for either, if u paid me anything.        But... "freinds can help either out".  for free.                                            They are pretty strict with the rules I guess because its only a one time fee to get antique or classic tags.                       But like any law it's all left open for the person enforcing its opinion .   

Our Dept of Safety man said ribbons and trophys are NOT compensation, BUT buying your breakfast or a case of beer are!! Would be sort of hard to prove by a DOT officer, but then again a lawyer in a fatal suit would definitely try.

• Like 1

Brocky

On 9/11/2016 at 4:09 PM, Hobert62 said:

The biggest perc is not having to deal with check engine lights and emissions crap.  And the BMT family is right along with it.   

I guess I should have stated my question a little differently and included 'other than the obvious' lol, I couldn't agree more, not having to deal with those things is perks enough to keep on with the old Mack.

• Like 1