Brand new Scania in US

Leonardo Favaro

Beautiful truck with the Scania 500hp V-8.

That's a fairly long wheelbase (for Europe). Was it actually ordered (spec'd) by the Chicago customer?

How are they going to get this Euro-6 truck certified under EPA2010?  What EPA-licensed emissions certification company are they using?

I believe there are around 10 EPA-licensed companies across the country than process gray-market cars.

• Like 1

Sharp looking truck.  I wonder how much it costs to ship them over seas and if it's worth it?  I wouldn't think it would be cost effective to ship a truck over here but I've been wrong before. 

Edited by HeavyGunner
Added a question
  • Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

if that truck is actually coming here for dump work, good luck...looks like the rear axle is lifted up, which makes me believe its a single axle with a tag? How are you going to haul dirt to all the crappy places we have to go without a real tandem. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sas454 said:

if that truck is actually coming here for dump work, good luck...looks like the rear axle is lifted up, which makes me believe its a single axle with a tag? How are you going to haul dirt to all the crappy places we have to go without a real tandem. Just my 2 cents

Don't think all that flaring going to work either; for off the black top 

1 hour ago, sas454 said:

The rear axle has an intra-axle locking differential. If you start to lose traction, you can also release some air from the tag to enhance the "locked" drive axle's traction. It works great.......a different way of doing things with less weight and cost, and better fuel economy.

As long as you're on private land you could drop air from the tag legally to gain traction.  We get tickets here if we get caught with a light or lifted tag. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

Just now, HeavyGunner said:

As long as you're on private land you could drop air from the tag legally to gain traction.  We get tickets here if we get caught with a light or lifted tag. 

You're only lifting for a few seconds to regain traction. You're not keeping it up and running down the road. 6x2s are used in northern Europe including Scandinavia all winter long.

I agree and understand you and I've had a butt chewing from our local dot officer for lifting my tag axle on my tractor which is almost exactly halfway between my steer and drivers so I can get enough steer tire traction to make 2 ninety degree (right and left) turns in less than 100' on slick snow packed roads with a truck over 100' long. I tried explaining that even at slow speeds (under 7mph) that long bugger pushes and doesn't turn when loaded making 2 ninety degree turns on a slight down hill grade. He told me it's the law and I need to keep my tag down. 

4 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

I agree and understand you and I've had a butt chewing from our local dot officer for lifting my tag axle on my tractor which is almost exactly halfway between my steer and drivers so I can get enough steer tire traction to make 2 ninety degree (right and left) turns in less than 100' on slick snow packed roads with a truck over 100' long. I tried explaining that even at slow speeds (under 7mph) that long bugger pushes and doesn't turn when loaded making 2 ninety degree turns on a slight down hill grade. He told me it's the law and I need to keep my tag down. 

Unreasonable, backwards and inconsistent attitude by U.S. authorities towards 6x2 tractors.

• Like 1

I agree. I brought the situation up at a quarterly safety meeting and the bosses told us if we ever feel it's too slick out to have a tag down to lift it and they will pay the fine because it would be cheaper than a wreck. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is a pretty truck,but those fairings are awful low if he's gonna be off the pavement!You can do dump work with a single axle and a tag.The B model I drove in Florida was a stretched single axle(former road tractor) with the tag in the rear.We were dumping in house pads on sugar sand! You had to dump the tag the second you left the pavement or you'd get stuck! Speaking of fancy trucks has anyone seen the new double bunk sterling's?I'm not into new trucks, but they look like something from "Mad Max"!!

The rear axle has an intra-axle locking differential. If you start to lose traction, you can also release some air from the tag to enhance the "locked" drive axle's traction. It works great.......a different way of doing things with less weight and cost, and better fuel economy.

Volvo in the US has a similar 6x2 drive setup. Most road tractors don't need 2 drive axles. But I have seen new auto hauler chassis with the 6x2 driveline, that makes me a bit nervous... The low ground clearance has hung me up on driveway aprons a few times where I have to engage the power divider, or even disconnect the leveling valve and inflate the bags manually.