B61 8V71N repower possible?

beatngu

I would like to repower the B model with the 318 out of my r700. I have read what I could find on the subject and it is apparent cooling could be an issue and it would be a tight squeeze. Does anybody have pointers on this one? Will the 318 mount to the 20 speed already in the B or should I just use the 15 speed fuller already mated to it seems how the 20 speed isn't made for that kind of power? Any pointers would be great, I have spent close to $7500 on 2 junk trucks over the past 3 years so I need to try and build at least one with potential.

I have spent some time in a B model with a 8 71 in it still had the Quad box , The B model had the cast radiator up front never over heated even in Australia's hot climate and it drove ok no problems at all that I can remember except the noise 

Was told by the fella that owned it that it came new with 8 71 

The fella that owned it had it on float work shifting his road building gear about 

and it looked like this had the air start fitted as well

680905Th-05-PrincesHwy-G33-RSmith-s.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I have spent some time in a B model with a 8 71 in it still had the Quad box , The B model had the cast radiator up front never over heated even in Australia's hot climate and it drove ok no problems at all that I can remember except the noise 

Was told by the fella that owned it that it came new with 8 71 

The fella that owned it had it on float work shifting his road building gear about 

and it looked like this had the air start fitted as well

Back when, the 2-stroke Detroit Diesel was certainly the most popular engine in Australia.

Yeah Australia had real love affair with the leaker Swishy still has LOL and despite what a lot of people say on here they were and still are a great little motor and for 99% of all work done even today they still get along ok but as we say "you gotta drive em like ya stole em" LOL your busy stirring the porridge all day 

Think about this they used the 6 71 and 8 71 on road trains with gross weights in excess of a 100 ton would have been a very steady drive for sure but they got there and they used to get a million miles yes miles on them out here now for our crappy conditions and the weights they hauled thats pretty impressive and figures and B model Thermodyne could rarely match  

Jump a few years ahead when Mack had the cool power motors and the leaker was no match for them not even close , sorry Swishy LOL

Paul 

Between trying to find parts for the old 673 and the bad news from the r700, I was thinking of trying to meet in the middle somewhere. A buddy of mine has a CNC machine, he could probably cut me some copper gaskets... as for the R model I think she will be parted out on here. Spend close to 1000 on getting tires on it just to find the frame wont pass inspection :angry:

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 7:18 AM, j hancock said:

Sure, anything is possible.  My opinion is don't bother.  Trying to get a 318 to fit and work properly would be a ton time and money and still be a HUGE headache. Everything would have to be custom.  The list of modifications would be endless.

Find a nice running 237 Mack and 5 speed transmission to do a swap.  Read Larry's (Freightrain) post about his swap.

The 237 would make you a nice hobby truck with potential.

Talking with a friend the other day, seems his buddy buys/sells/scraps stuff.  Seems he came across a 237/5spd and sold it for $300!!!  Not sure how wore out it was, but surely worth $300.

I would definitely keep an eye out for a 237.  Simple bolt in.  I was on the look out for years, then this one fell in my lap.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"