Unfortunate End in Lancaster County

ff6cav

12 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Unfortunately it has been totaled. Estimate to repair: $40,000 +/-
Approximate value: $10,000

That is a damn shame!!   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Not to be too cynical, but $10K is probably twice the real value. 

I'm guessing this was a parade piece? If so it is probably worth fixing for the fire company. I'm sure there are plenty of members who regret letting their (absolutely beautiful) A and B models go. I hope they don't do the same with this piece.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

On 7/5/2016 at 10:00 PM, kmeitz said:

Truck was still in service for the RC.  Truck has been towed to Copart in York, PA. 

That's it. That's the end. No parts for anyone, anytime, anyhow, anyway. Once something enters that lot, it will never, ever be seen again.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

1 hour ago, ff6cav said:

Word is, the original breakdown was the short drive shaft breaking

Correct. And the tow operator apparently thought "oh, ok....shaft not connected to the transmission, I'm ok...." Hooked on, went down the road and physics did the rest. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

On 7/5/2016 at 7:07 PM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Correct. And the tow operator apparently thought "oh, ok....shaft not connected to the transmission, I'm ok...." Hooked on, went down the road and physics did the rest. 

It's a shame that a momentary lapse in judgement meant the end for such a nice and apparently well-maintained rig

• 3 weeks later...

(when I was in the mobile welding business ,I put driveshaft loops( like on a dragster) on four  Bob Evans trucks (12 'reefer units) one of their drivers broke a front u joint,the thing stood up on the driveshaft and went over an embankment.Fortunately he wasn't hurt,except his pride! But their boss didn't want it to happen again! is that what happened to the fire truck? Didn't see the photos.

(when I was in the mobile welding business ,I put driveshaft loops( like on a dragster) on four  Bob Evans trucks (12 'reefer units) one of their drivers broke a front u joint,the thing stood up on the driveshaft and went over an embankment.Fortunately he wasn't hurt,except his pride! But their boss didn't want it to happen again! is that what happened to the fire truck? Didn't see the photos.

Ok I did read the description of the damage,40000,seems a little high.Even if not financially feasible to fix mechanically would be a great display piece in a mall or in a small town square,Get the boy scouts to wax and clean it annually,maybe charge a fee for photos with it for charity.

• 5 weeks later...