Oil Filter problem

Ladies and Gents.  I finally started my END711engine after tearing it down and putting it back together.  However, I need to ask...I have the large oil filter that hangs off the drivers side of the block...you know the one...bout the size of a small trash can and holds about 3 gallons of oil.  Well I have tried everything I know to get it to stop leaking oil around the seam where the bottom of the can meets the top.  I have drained it twice, cleaned it up mounted the O-ring (which looks good...don't think it needs replacing.  Last time I put the O-ring on with RTV.  I tighten the big round clamp as tight as it will go but every time I turn the engine over and oil pressure builds oil come spraying out of that seam.  I am out of ideas at the moment.  before I drain the oil back out for another try...thought I would ask the experts.  What am I doing wrong?

The clamp could be spread open and not pulling the top and bottom together.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The pressure should be the same, difference would be where the oil goes in the filter, inside through to the outside or the other way. 

There is a small bleeder on the top can to purge air out, could possibly have some effect on your leak too.

Also the O rings as I remember are D shaped and fit only one correct way.   I THINK

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

OK, I will drain the oil back down below the seam, clean everything up again, turn the O-ring over, and put it back together.  I will attempt to open the vent a bit to see if that helps out any.  I will keep you all posted as to how it comes out.  Thanks much.  Razorback11

Which oil filter,

750 Luberfiner or WGB oil clarifier(full flow/bypass)?

Luberfiner has two small lines small bleeder on very top.

WGB oil clarifier has two large lines #16 and one small #8(?) line. and a large bleeder off to the side on the top.

Different filters different rings.

One for the luberfiner is sort of "D" shaped one for full flow/bypass is a large "O" ring.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mine is the rather large canister and has Two large oil lines that go out of the bottom and send and receive oil to and from the top and end of the oil cooler.  I have a smaller line that exits the bottom of the filter can and runs back in to the block.  I do not have any lines in to of the canister....just a big filler hole.  When I bought the truck, it was running and the filter canister was not leaking.  I have cleaned up the canister, painted it, switched out the filter with a new one (same number) attempted to use the same O-ring and I cranked down on the clamp until it won't move any more...as soon as the oil pressure builds...oil starts spraying out of the seam.  On the positive side, I have very good oil pressure and it is making it to the top of the engine.. that is always a worry.  On the negative, can't get the Oil Filter canister to play ball.

Only painted the outside of the canister.  Shouldn't have effected the seal at all.  I drained the oil out of the canister this evening.  I will crack it open when it quits raining around here (Yorktown, VA,) and try to get the filter # off it..  Truck is on Jack stands in a large carport-like structure.  Rain usually stays off of it but don't want to open up critical parts when it is raining just in case. 

Baldwin filter # P706-m . I had trouble getting my filter to seal  it did seal after a few try's of tapping on the clamp and turning the nut a little  at a time . I though of wrapping the o ring with Teflon tape . the clamp must spread over time with over  tightening .

• Like 1