My Engine Swap

Ahubbard

where in avoca are you located. will be going thru there for easter at my aunt and uncles in bath up on mt. washington. what happened to the engine? what you going to do with the dm mack

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

I am in the village of Avoca. Just down the street from the only gas station. The motor was making some pretty good blow by. I have never been impressed with the electronic motor. So I bought this mechanical off my dad. Hopefully I get her in and working right. This DM was rough around the edges. Makes a good parts truck now for his DM dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, your "friend with a wrecker" has a BIGGER wrecker then my friend with a wrecker LOL!!!  But, it all works the same.  Beats the hell out using a tree...........:o

Yuns got a slightly larger shop to work in too.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

726f19c3d92dcc76f9add5df273bb578.jpg43ad959149ccf0da827a3be3d91d658c.jpgf1234b7b1a5c46ad78b81e2c8e0a1b29.jpg

Sorry my pictures are about all from the same angle.

I finally got the hood back and things are wrapped up. I think it came out well. The donor truck throttle linkage was a little different than I needed and I decided to build my own. But before I started I called my Mack dealer. I had a serial number from an rd with mechanical already. It fit my budget to get new parts right from Mack. Pedal to pump. Made that part easy.

As far as power goes, I put my s300 turbo off the etech on her. Also I slid the fuel plate ahead and spun the aneroid star wheel a few clicks until I got a nice puff of black out the stack that clears right up when I crack the throttle good. I got to test drive today and m seeing boost pressure as much as 30 psi when I get on her. I will be hauling a load tomorrow so I will be hoping for some nice power. Thanks for checking out my post guys. I have had a lot of fun with this project

83ab9f7c9ca05ebd790b91c59c6a83ed.jpgfc012296053f1d5f4d5bda0ff67dc4db.jpgc8a8eb720aa351112f645f695753ca4e.jpg

I also put dynamat on the floor and firewall and added some padding to help quiet the interior. There are a few more things I want to spruce up on the old girl but I am out of money. I need some warm stone hauling weather. Lol

Also when you do have to over haul the engine I would and have replaced pistons with what a VMAC 427 engine has and with the injectors from a 427 and the turbo that you have the engine will work so good.The 427 uses a lower compression piston and is better for the head gaskets.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Don't worry about the boost as much as the pyrometer.I would not want it to go over 950 if its behind the turbo in the pipe.I have one that I have did that way and the pump is maxed out with the pistons and turbo and injectors from a 427.It will run 32 psi on boost on a cool day and up to 1000 on pyrometer if you stay in it on a long pull.It runs with 425 cats

glenn akers

Ok thanks. I will have to get used to eyeing the pyrometer again. That never was a concern in the etech. I will give a report tomorrow. I got a load of sand headed to a farmer. There is a pretty good hill in between my place and his. Kinda feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. I might be too excited to sleep.

• Like 2

Very nice work indeed! I'd love to hear your thoughts on how well the dynamat works as my truck is noisey inside. 

If I remember correctly my dads e7 400 should be making about 32psi. 

Great job!