My Mack fire apparatus photo album

GA_Dave

Ga Dave, nice collection of photos! I'm liking the looks of the C F Macks ,have no knowledge of fire equip. Is there a fairly common engine tranny combo in these trucks? Hopefully they aren't all automatics. Without the back end they'd make a handsome "hobby tractor" or car hauler.Is there any market for the back end among fire equip.collectors? Thanks!

18 hours ago, BillyT said:

Ga Dave, nice collection of photos! I'm liking the looks of the C F Macks ,have no knowledge of fire equip. Is there a fairly common engine tranny combo in these trucks? Hopefully they aren't all automatics. Without the back end they'd make a handsome "hobby tractor" or car hauler.Is there any market for the back end among fire equip.collectors? Thanks!

Thank you!

As to your questions, I'm not sure how to respond.  The CF chassis was available with nine choices of Mack diesel engine and one Mack gas engine.  Both automatic and manual transmissions could be had.  Removing the "back end" of a fire apparatus is blasphemy among apparatus folks, those who strive to preserve apparatus.  Most "butcher jobs" like you suggest are met with hostility from my crowd.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response! I respect you're opinion concerning  removing the back end of the fire truck. However I hope you aren't remotely referring to the quality of my welding and fabrication as most of my welding customers came to me by word of mouth.there is a complete fire truck  down the street from me that someone painted PINK!,now that's butchery!

15 hours ago, BillyT said:

Thanks for the response! I respect you're opinion concerning  removing the back end of the fire truck. However I hope you aren't remotely referring to the quality of my welding and fabrication as most of my welding customers came to me by word of mouth.there is a complete fire truck  down the street from me that someone painted PINK!,now that's butchery!

Your abilities were never any part of my comment, it was strictly your choice of project.  As for the Pink trucks, the vast majority of them (several dozen across the US) are painted pink to raise awareness and funding for breast cancer research.  A closer look at these rigs will reveal that they are covered in handwritten signatures of cancer survivors and memorials of those who did not.  I, among many others in the fire apparatus crowd, fully support this endeavor.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GA_Dave said:

E3SellersburgIN.jpg

Wow, what a cool color!  Does anyone know what that shade is called?  I've never seen blue fire trucks before in my part of the country.  What was the reasoning for blue?  Doesn't seem as highly visible as red or safety yellow.  Was that a standard fire apparatus color?  Would love to see that color on some other trucks.

2 hours ago, sodly said:

Wow, what a cool color!  Does anyone know what that shade is called?  I've never seen blue fire trucks before in my part of the country.  What was the reasoning for blue?  Doesn't seem as highly visible as red or safety yellow.  Was that a standard fire apparatus color?  Would love to see that color on some other trucks.

http://openR1of1a.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Apparatus colors are strictly a local option with many of the more unique colors being found in PA. I think that most of the unique schemes go back to the horse drawn era and the volunteer companies have just stuck with them. This is one case where tradition over "progress" makes sense IMO.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I can understand how front line pumpers/ladders get retired.  I am surprised though as to the number of tankers that seem to be retired at a relatively young age.  Any logical answer?  An aluminum petro tanker, or stainless milk tank?  No DOT/EPA  tightness test issues.  And if you have bulkhead leaks between compartments-who cares??  No food grade issues in the case of a milk tank.

Or do departments just want purpose built fire tankers these days?

12 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

I can understand how front line pumpers/ladders get retired.  I am surprised though as to the number of tankers that seem to be retired at a relatively young age.  Any logical answer?  An aluminum petro tanker, or stainless milk tank?  No DOT/EPA  tightness test issues.  And if you have bulkhead leaks between compartments-who cares??  No food grade issues in the case of a milk tank.

Or do departments just want purpose built fire tankers these days?

What's your definition of "relatively young"?  Most of the retired tankers I have posted are over 25 years old.  When I add the "(retired)" to my post, I am indicating that the rig is no longer in active service with that Fire Department.  It could very well be in service somewhere else.  There are many reasons they get replaced, including age, need, manual transmission, CDL requirements, and funding.  Some that were strictly water carriers have been replaced by pumper-tankers that combined two apparatus into one, eliminating the need for that second or third pumper in the fleet.