My Mack fire apparatus photo album

GA_Dave

10 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

I can understand how front line pumpers/ladders get retired.  I am surprised though as to the number of tankers that seem to be retired at a relatively young age.  Any logical answer?  An aluminum petro tanker, or stainless milk tank?  No DOT/EPA  tightness test issues.  And if you have bulkhead leaks between compartments-who cares??  No food grade issues in the case of a milk tank.

Or do departments just want purpose built fire tankers these days?

My 2-cents worth on the "converted truck" issue:

1.  Many tanker drivers in volunteer departments are not necessarily experienced tank-truck drivers, and in many states a CDL is not required to drive fire apparatus.  So a smart chief will want a tanker that is over-built to carry the full weight of, let's say, 3000 gallons of water under stressful conditions, with a driver that may not be as aware of truck/load/road conditions as might be ideal.

2. Related to above - petro tankers are specified to carry, usually, gasoline, which is 2-plus lbs lighter than water per gallon.  If the tank/chassis of the truck is designed for that, and not water, it can cause weight distribution problems, especially if not well-baffled, or baffled at all.  In a 3000 gallon tank, that's 3 extra tons of fluid, and, again, if the truck is not correctly specified for that additional weight, combined with a part-time driver who might have questionable training, it's not usually recommended that a petro tanker be converted to fire service.

3. My feeling about tankers vs. pumpers/ladders is sort of just the opposite....  BECAUSE pumpers/ladders are subject to annual testing to confirm that they do what they are supposed to do, I'm a lot more comfortable with a 35-year old one of those fighting fires than a tanker that may or may not be spec'd for fire service, may not be baffled correctly for the stop-and-go let's-get-there-fast type of driving by potentially inexperienced drivers, and which may have been converted by amateurs who aren't aware of the physics and math involved in properly specifying a truck for fire service.

That being said, I came from a volunteer dept. that, back in the 50's did a couple of their own conversions for their first pumper, and brush trucks, but they were done by a guys who actually ran a trucking business and knew what they were doing.  But when it came time to get a tanker, they did not mess around, and bought a huge Peterbilt that was well-baffled, and properly equipped for the modern fire service, especially concerning safety, and made sure that the suspension and weight characteristics would make the truck as safe as possible, understanding, that not all of the drivers in our district would have the same truck-driving experience that they would have had over the years.  And they nailed it.  In the 21st century, we now only have one professional truck guy that drives the truck - the rest are mostly guys that have never driven anything bigger than their F250, with the exception of fire apparatus.  

In this case, I think that the NFPA, and insurance industry is right to push for tankers that are purpose-built, and not petro/gas/milk/military tankers that are re-purposed to try to save money.  It's a nice thought, and I understand that some departments have absolutely no choice but to do it due to lack of funds, but, having driven our tanker, I can see how easy it can be for an inexperienced driver to get into some big trouble very quickly in a truck carrying 25,000lbs of water sloshing around, while under high-adrenaline driving conditions.  And it's tough to not have the ability to draft, have proper dump chutes, be able to carry a portable tank, or SCBAs, and have all the other equipment needed at a fire ground....

Now, as for purpose-built tankers, my opinion would be the same as for pumpers/ladders.  If it's getting older, but will still pass a safety inspection and can get the job done - let it keep working!

GA Dave, Mack58B42, and FxFymn,

Thx-all good points- I guess the one that really got me thinking was 86 Mack from Bargaintown NJ.  Looked like it might have been a purpose built tanker and I'm thinking-"ok -30 years old-but did it respond to every call? Garaged? Well maintained?."  Likewise a shot of a 93 CH-but granted it was pulling a 59 Heil!

As for the danger of liquid loads, good points- but most MC 306 tanks were built for gas (6.2 pds/gal or distillate fuels-heat, diesel @ 7.2 pds.  In an 80,000 lb state this usually meant an 8500 gal gas load or a 7300 gal distillate load.  Now water would equate to about 6500 gallons.  And the safe way to do that would be to run the smallest compartment empty- and typically most 8500 gal tanks would have a 900 to 1100 gallon compartment as the smallest.  My guess would be however, that the inexperienced would light load all the compartments-creating the most slop-that is if they paid attention to weight laws.

In any case, absolutely correct in terms of the dangers of a liquid load.  "Mass in motion" was a catch phrase we used- take a corner too fast and guess what- that liquid load would climb up the tank shell dramatically changing your center of gravity.  Which of course accounts for most of the tanker off ramp accidents. For sure that is the one case where the driver explanation of why he wrecked the truck of..."the load shifted" is absolutely correct!

Bottom line-nothing like good training and qualifying people for specific units-not a fireman but would hope that is the usual rule rather than exception.

Red Horse,

You are correct on the Bargaintown rig, it was purpose built for the Fire service.  The 93 CH/59 Heil is still in service.

While most commercial tank trucks are designed to carry a specific weight, it is not typical that they hold that weight 24/7/365 unless there is a fire.  Fire Service tankers do just that and it takes a toll on them.  Here's an analogy: Pick up your wife and carry her to the other end of the house.  No big deal (unless she's the size of MY wife!)  Now, sit in a chair and have her sit on your lap.  For several hours.  Now, jump up and run, carrying her to the other end of the house.  See the difference?