B-73 Restoration

Nice job, Those two motors are the same as the single unit I used. Good motors And the shaft length 

is the same too.

https://www.americanclassic.com/1947-53-Wiper-Motor-Electric-Conversion-12-volt/productinfo/67-064/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing Shopping&utm_term=4579259771914807&utm_content=Ad group %231

Edited by Truck Shop
  • Like 1

One ping only

Yeah, they’re very common. I see them in a lot of applications. It was kinda where the idea formed. Finding the controller was a big plus. I searched around for a while, looking at rotary type switches, but this one won out due to the synchronizing feature.

Edited by mattb73lt

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Another side project done. Converting to Budd hubs all the way around with polished Alcoa rims. I bought the hubs a few years ago, but they came off a burnt up B-73 without front brakes. At first I thought they wouldn't accept brake drums and having nothing to work with, as to what size the drum was, it was a lengthy search and a lot of questions. But, I dug through it and sourced longer front studs and all the other hardware I needed for the new wheels. After working out the dimensions I needed, I found Webb Wheel and they had a very user friendly site I could plug my measurements in and it would give you what drums would fit. Took my measurements several times to refine them and make sure I was ordering what was the closest fit. I also didn't want to waste time and money, the drums were not cheap!! I ordered them through Fleetpride, (the counter guy was very helpful!!)and picked them up today. They weren't quite drop in as I was hoping, but after boring both pilot holes out .060" they did. Assembled the hubs and drums and stacked up a spindle and no issues. A while back I almost gave up on this conversion, but I got it done. I used my 100 year old lathe to bore the holes. A simple operation, but i had to raise the headstock with a spacer that came with it and then true up the drum on a large faceplate. The set up was the most time consuming part, as I spent at least four hours getting everything together after getting the headstock apart and cleaned up. Quite the task spinning a 18 1/2", 80+ pound drum. It just barely fit the lathe, when all set up. 

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

As usual, very Impressive!

Just now, carlotpilot said:

really good thinking on the wiper solution` you may have found the answer for me to my problem with the controller set up . bad (gem) in a ford 450` ford wants 800+ for a replacement ` less than 200 for one of those

That's great!! I hope it helps. Just trying to put out what I'm doing and finding. If it helps someone in their work, even better.

1 minute ago, carlotpilot said:

wonder if the marinco could be  wired in to the existing wire harness going to the motor? it takes 5 wires to use whats there

You'd probably have to figure out what each wire does. The Wexco motors have three wires each, low, high and park. They match the ones on the controller, the others are for power, ground, wash and one for the switch.

9 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

should only be a matter of getting them in the right place

The Ford System you're working on, is that a single motor system? If it is there is an identical controller for single motor systems available from Marinco.

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Wow excellent but yes 10 four on the green.... Where did you find the rubbers?????? Bob

I was able to replace everything but the molded vent window seals. I carefully removed them and ran them through my glass bead cabinet. Being careful and reducing the air pressure. They cleaned up very well, removing paint, grime and a little rubber where they were dried out. They weren't too bad to start with. I've seen some really bad ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dirtymilkman said:

What are you planning on doing for upholstery? 

I’ve got a upholstery guy who has the cardboard I need for it. There was almost none of it left when I got the truck. I’m just going to have him do the back wall, headliner and the three headers over the doors and windshields. Using factory photos, photos I’ve taken at shows and shards of what was left to get if close to original. I have a nice piece of industrial carpet, with a 1/4” rubber backing for the floor that I’ll cut to fit the floor. It’s charcoal in color. I’m putting two air ride cloth seats in it. I removed the small factory bench on the right and the large bin that was underneath it for more space. I’ll have the upholsterer cover the entire back wall with factory type cardboard. Keeping it simple for now, but may change it down the road.

• Like 1