B-73 Restoration

6 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Probably had the trailer lifted too high and the king pin skipped right over the fifth wheel plate. 

The original owner told me the story. He came to get his trailer on a Sunday evening to start his week and he thinks some kids cranked it up higher after he left it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

I like this cab on the Bs too. Must've been a quick job so save money the first time, but how in the world was somebody trying to hook up a trailer so fast they not only missed the 5th wheel and didn't realize it but then cause so much damage that you need to replace rear panels?! I could see a sizable dent maybe and the glass to be blown out but something on the cab that couldn't just be beat out or dealt with? Makes me scratch my head...

Glad someone is fixing it up right! Can't wait to see the old dog growling around again...

It did do a lot of damage. The lower and upper center panels were replaced. It crushed the center vertical cab support, bent the center horizontal support and broke the lower rear frame of the cab. All of which have been replaced or straightened. The owner never said how fast he was going, but it had to of been hard or a fast hit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mowerman said:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh i gotcha,,,musta missed that part....that would have been eating me alive as well....you would be looking at those flaws the entire time you owned it,,,,,besides your liable to devevope squeeks,or rattles somewhere along the line,,driving you crazy..after you get it all painted and put together,,,,,,yes i dont blame you them,,,,,great job....bob

I had the idea, at one time, to fix the mechanicals and put it on the road as is. I think the cab would have fallen apart quickly and I would've had nothing to work with. Plus everything was coming apart. This was really the only way to do it.

• Like 2

These updates are getting me excited for your rig... maybe even as excited as you! Seeing classic trucks like this get back on the road in such a right way just fills a hole in my soul left by living near a junkyard that stops people trying to preserve history... yet they keep the things that THEY find nice to look at...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

4 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

These updates are getting me excited for your rig... maybe even as excited as you! Seeing classic trucks like this get back on the road in such a right way just fills a hole in my soul left by living near a junkyard that stops people trying to preserve history... yet they keep the things that THEY find nice to look at...

Thanks for that. It's been a long time since I dragged this truck home. Tough at times to stay motivated, especially with this part of the restoration. It is great getting positive comments and different opinions and ideas as the whole thing is kind've fluid as I move along. Some things I'm set on, but others like products or methods people have used really help. I'm also amazed how long this thread is since I started it way back in 2015. The momentum is definitely building as things get completed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

Thanks for that. It's been a long time since I dragged this truck home. Tough at times to stay motivated, especially with this part of the restoration. It is great getting positive comments and different opinions and ideas as the whole thing is kind've fluid as I move along. Some things I'm set on, but others like products or methods people have used really help. I'm also amazed how long this thread is since I started it way back in 2015. The momentum is definitely building as things get completed.

Matt

Almost 4 months to Brooklyn- any chance?

2 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

Not likely, although I could bring some of it on the back of the B42.

It’s be fun if you positioned just the cab and hood on the trailer as if the thing had its chassis stolen out from under it so fast it left the body in place...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

When I hung the NOS doors on my B last winter, it was a job of lots of patience.   They did not put these cabs together to have everything line up all Purdy like.  You can only wiggle things around so much before it doesn't even fit anymore.  Unless you really want to put the time in welding door edges and grinding them perfect?

For all the work you put in, it looks great!

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

When I hung the NOS doors on my B last winter, it was a job of lots of patience.   They did not put these cabs together to have everything line up all Purdy like.  You can only wiggle things around so much before it doesn't even fit anymore.  Unless you really want to put the time in welding door edges and grinding them perfect?

For all the work you put in, it looks great!

Believe it or not, it took a bout 10 minutes to fit the new door. Massage the upper hinge and lower right corner and no binding. Now I still have to get some sort of weather stripping to seal it, but  I need a shock cord to keep both doors closed.

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

Like this.......   oh goody their sideways again... lol. Least I know I’m not the only one with this issue... bob

A251A49E-C042-4B83-9550-F83B9FB74E5F.jpeg

I have my days like that, too. But, I keep moving on. Went out to clean up today and still ended up fixing things. There are times I go out and think what should I work on? There's hardly anything I don't pick up that doesn't need some sort of repair. So I cut it, weld it, machine it, prime it and put it on the done shelf for installation. Even if it's something small, it get's done. I have several shelves in the hayloft of completed parts waiting for assembly, once I get this cab painted. That'll be a huge corner to turn and then, to me, this project will get fun. I can't wait for that time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a horn like that on my DM I took it off and gave it away ,,25 years ago... now I’m kind of sorry I did that replaced it with a double trumpet east coast style high and low tones .....: kind of wish I would have left that original one on it. It actually sounded pretty good ...bob