Really Big Mack

other dog

I’m pretty sure, I think. LOL 

in the beginning of the maxidyne in early 70’s??? with the 5 speed transmission, I’m not sure if they had to have Mack rears, but even engines were gold. They had to quit with gold paint for some reason. They had gold dogs, (I’m pretty sure every component had to be Mack also). Maxidyne with 5speed gold dogs. Some trucks would have econodyne on the hood??????

Some time later, I’m saying after the (R) they started putting gold dogs on trucks with all Mack components. & trucks that were elite models & all.

like I said, I think I’m close & this is from reading on here about this as long as I’ve been on the site.

• Like 1

T or Glen Akers I'm not going to disagree with You completely My beginning with Mack was march 1974 before that I would read the bulldog magazine

every month Your correct on the idea of the maxydine engine was 1966 but the first time I saw a maxydine engine in a truck was 1973 when I went to

work for Mack in 1974 My first question was why do some Macks have a gold bulldog and some have a chrome bulldog no one new the answer at

that time. Later on in oct 1976 I went to a sales seminar in Toronto their were 2 engineers from Hagerstown MD at that seminar they were the ones

that told Me that the maxydine engine was not perfected until dec 1972 they said before that time the maxydine  engine was still being tested and

was still in the planning stages. These 2 engine engineers also confirmed to Me that all Macks with a gold bulldog were maxydine engines and

those with a chrome bulldog were thermodine engines if there was confusion about this well I heard it from the horses mouth all engines before

the maxydine engine were painted Mack green, maxydine engines were gold, thermodine after 1973 were silver, econodine were light blue

E6 with 4 valve heads were dark grey the last E6 rated at 350HP were painted black.When the E7 was introduced it was painted dark grey.

• Like 2

I personally saw Maxidynes in trucks in the late '60s.  I think the oldest one I persoanlly remember was a '67.  I believe the '66 intro date matches what I have read.  Maxidynes had gold dogs and Thermodynes had chrome dogs in those days.  Maxis were painted gold.

Not sure where the '72 date came from.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

gold maxidynes were seen on the road mid/late '60's. many of which may have been "prototypes" for testing in the field. the '72 date was when enough  test  were completed to qualify the set up for full use. the 866 V-8 was on the road yrs before public purchase. waterbury mack in ct had a FL700 with 866 given to scovill mfg for them to run . engine torn down and inspected ; put back together a number of times. as written  in previous text . gold maxi/ silver thermo. 

• Like 1

Maxidynes were in Australia in 67-68 and running up and down the HWY beging of 68

First two were a Flinstone running interstate and F model pulling a tanker , FR wasnt around until later 

Both Gold dogs and gold motors

5 speed Maxitorques, Flinstone had 5.73 diffs and dunno about the F model now 

Paul

Yeah, I don't understand the "prototype" thing.  There were scores of Maxis running around down here in the late 60's.  Most were R685's with the ENDT-675, like 67RModel said.  In fact, every one I ever saw was a "green dash" model.  So, that dates them a good bit.  I only remember seeing one or two on the V-8's.  Not sure what years those were.  Seems like a little later.

I am very curious about that "prototype" comment.  I'm having a hard time imagining so many prototypes being right here in my neck of the woods.  Unless the entire 675 run was considered a "prototype"?

Regarding the gold dog, LATER on it meant something different (all-Mack).  But, in the late 60's the gold dog just meant gold engine (Maxi).  That seems to come up about once a week on here!  LOL!

I've always read in my Mack brochures that a gold dog meant pedigreed drivetrain. Yet in all  my years in trucking I have seen brand new Mack's with vendor drivetrains with gold dogs and all Mack drivetrains with chrome dogs. So I have no idea, LOL

• Haha 1

here's a picture of my 'Really Big Mack'   he's my buddy and when i'm on a creeper he is right there to sit on my chest and lick my face...  his name is.... Mack...

KIMG0717.JPG

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 11:23 AM, Bullheaded said:

I've always read in my Mack brochures that a gold dog meant pedigreed drivetrain. Yet in all  my years in trucking I have seen brand new Mack's with vendor drivetrains with gold dogs and all Mack drivetrains with chrome dogs. So I have no idea, LOL

Those brochures must be "new".  By the way, I consider "new" anything past about '72!

The ENDT 865 was introduced in 1970 if the model had a B example ENDTB 865 this just meant it had a mack engine brake the 865 was a maxidyne

and the ENDT 866 was a thermodine also introduced in 1970 before that Mack had a v8 known  as the END 864 rated at 255HP also a thermodine.

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2021 at 4:51 PM, louisgbone said:

My answer to Joey Mack and Mark T is in the early 70's around 71 or 72 Mack developed the maxydine engine which had a RPM range of 1300 to 2100

it was a 700 RPM split mack built 3 engine of this configuration ENDTB675 rated at 237 hp 6cyl , ENDTB676 later known as the E6-300 rated at 285HP

6cyl engine and 1 V8  known as the ENDTB865 rated at 325HP all of these 3 engines were all painted gold to identify them the minute You opened the hood. Mack

thought it would be a good idea if You knew before You opened the hood so any Trucks built with a maxydine engine had a gold bulldog on the hood

to match or identify that the truck had a maxydine engine. When Mack brought out the E9-1000 I don't know whether they made a maxydine version

of it or not I was gone from Mack from april 1978 to oct 1982 when I returned to Mack.

The first 400 Hp E9 were Maxidyne As the horse power increased they dropped the the Concept for what ever reason probably emissions ! Thanks for t dispelling my roomer by the way It was just the way I heard or perceived It! 🙄