Saw this on Craigslist. No connection just passing on

1957 Antique Show Truck - $35000

00Y0Y_7BdJIkO5jfs_600x450.jpg
00q0q_g99iKMqGs2h_600x450.jpg
00000_eOQsVLM8Zfu_600x450.jpg
00k0k_c1aGqMN8eFS_600x450.jpg
00n0n_ePxcTN31U5K_600x450.jpg
00w0w_wdF5dEBUSY_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_7BdJIkO5jfs_50x50c.jpg00q0q_g99iKMqGs2h_50x50c.jpg00000_eOQsVLM8Zfu_50x50c.jpg00k0k_c1aGqMN8eFS_50x50c.jpg00n0n_ePxcTN31U5K_50x50c.jpg00w0w_wdF5dEBUSY_50x50c.jpg

1957 Antique B85 Mack Truck Restored

* 25' Oak Bed with Side Boards
* Stake Body
* Gas Powered
* Dual Rear Tires
* Restored interior & Gauges
* Restored Cloth Seats
* Two-Toned Body (Red is deeper in color than it appears in photos)

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
  • Like 1

"B-85", compartment under driver's door, chrome radiator shell, starter button, switches for emergency lights, and red interior, leads me to believe that this was once a fire truck.

However, it has a long wheelbase and I have never seen a Mack fire truck with two sticks. Am I close?

bulldogboy

• Like 1

Since there were only 77 made, odds are pretty good it's a ex F. D. unit

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Being not a firetruck now this thing isn't far from to be called a one of the kind.

Nice looking rig showing out alot of love invested in it.

Gas power is one more reason to ex-firetruck.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I would assume someone added the two stick duplex when they removed the hose bed? looks like a 67 series 10 speed with the sticks bent. either way that's a nice truck. im drooling over the nice beige steering wheel myself. I think that truck was for sale in double clutch back in the 90's actually.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I agree that it must be ex-FD unit based on all of the visual clues. Were there any B-85 units built as something other than a fire unit? I've assumed that all 75, 85, and 95 units from any series E, B or L were fire trucks. Is that a bad assumption?

I love all these details. It is interesting to understand all that every model was or was not from the factory. Cool stuff.

Years ago, I saw a For Sale ad for that truck and there was a mention of it being an ex-fire truck.

Maybe the long wheel base was for a chassis mounted aerial ladder?

I never thought about an aerial ladder; most of the "B" model straight ladders that I have seen had semi or open cabs. I should have thought about the ladder as I once operated

a "C" model straight ladder.

bulldogboy

I agree that it must be ex-FD unit based on all of the visual clues. Were there any B-85 units built as something other than a fire unit? I've assumed that all 75, 85, and 95 units from any series E, B or L were fire trucks. Is that a bad assumption?

I love all these details. It is interesting to understand all that every model was or was not from the factory. Cool stuff.

Mack nameplate overlap because there were B75 and B85 that were fire trucks and B75 and B85's (B81 style) that were tractors, dumps etc. B95 were fire trucks.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

If this was a fire truck would the plate or build sheet show it as a B85F. I saw one advertised some where out west that had the designation F on the advertisement, I think. If this truck originally had gas engine would it be a B86 ?. Did all the 80 series that were not fire trucks have the military type fenders and cast bolt together radiators? Now I am really confused, but I was born that way.

yup the even and odd system didn't apply to fire trucks. most were 707 gassers. some of the last B85 Mack firetrucks were fitted with 673 diesels to. they also made a few B60F firetrucks to I believe that had 464's in them. this is most likely a firetruck with the spotlights and the dual ignition shutoff you can almost see by the steering column. dead give away would be the door tag reading B85F or seeing if the engine has two distributors.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Two B-85 were Aerial Ladders. One open cab with a 75 foot ladder and one with a 65 foot cab unknown. So that could be it. Also Rockville Maryland ran the extra lights in the headlight panels and the pair of red lensed Perlux style lights under the bumper on all their trucks until the mid 70's. That seems to be particular to that department.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Good question! I wonder too. Most of the info I have on the B-85 show 5 speed and a few with Allison automatics but I'm sure places like the Pine Barrens of Long Island or New jersey and around Cape Cod could have gotten them. I would think you could get what ever specs your department needed. Yaphanks 1964 B pumper has a 5 and 2 in it.

P.T.CHESHIRE