A few facts on Acceleration

41chevy

Some pretty impressive figures there 3.70 seconds is a lot quicker than any top fuler I have ever seen having said that I havent been to a drag strip for 25 years and it was pretty earth moving experience back then

The only thing quicker in those days at acceleration in Australia was FA 18 fighter planes that the air force had or at least that was what I was always told

by the figures above I wonder if thats still accurate

Paul

Some pretty impressive figures there 3.70 seconds is a lot quicker than any top fuler I have ever seen having said that I havent been to a drag strip for 25 years and it was pretty earth moving experience back then

The only thing quicker in those days at acceleration in Australia was FA 18 fighter planes that the air force had or at least that was what I was always told

by the figures above I wonder if thats still accurate

Paul

A side-by-side comparison redone in 2014 with an F/A-18, a top fuel dragster, a rocket sled, and some other machine I can't remember. I think it was on Speed or Hot Rod TV, I'm not sure.

The results showed the dragster ahead in the for the full 1000 foot track. The enormous torque from the engine to wheels, combined with the gripping power of those tires on the pavement is what gives the dragster the advantage in the beginning.

Second in line was the rocket sled in the 1000 foot track. But the g-force acceleration was enough to be dangerous to a human (it was unmanned in the test)...which is around 9 to 10 gs.

The F/A-18 was last. The F/A-18 took off under normal power, not assisted by a catapult. With a catapult, the jet would win hands down.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I once stood at the traps at National Trails Raceway when the Top Fuels were running.... my eyeballs rattled in my skull, and it felt like an alien was clawing at my insides. Wicked doesn't begin to describe it.

I was shell shocked after two runs.

• Like 2

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

I haven't seen them since the 80's myself...or maybe it was the 70's, I don't remember. But the quickest time I remember was in the low 6's and I said to my friend "wow, someday they'll be down in the 5's." And he said "no,I don't think so, they've gone about as far as they can go with horsepower, tires, and everything else."...and look at them now- I was way off thinking 5 seconds.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

A side-by-side comparison redone in 2014 with an F/A-18, a top fuel dragster, a rocket sled, and some other machine I can't remember. I think it was on Speed or Hot Rod TV, I'm not sure.

The results showed the dragster ahead in the for the full 1000 foot track. The enormous torque from the engine to wheels, combined with the gripping power of those tires on the pavement is what gives the dragster the advantage in the beginning.

Second in line was the rocket sled in the 1000 foot track. But the g-force acceleration was enough to be dangerous to a human (it was unmanned in the test)...which is around 9 to 10 gs.

The F/A-18 was last. The F/A-18 took off under normal power, not assisted by a catapult. With a catapult, the jet would win hands down.

Didn't Don Garlits race a jet on an aircraft carrier one time?

By the way, I once saw on TV before a NASCAR race what 200mph. really looked like. You don't get the sense of speed that 200mph. really is watching a race on TV because the cars are going close to the same speed, and that's what they wanted to show. Ned Jarrett drove around Talledega at 55mph. with an in car camera, and Terry Labonte blew by him running over 200mph. It was wild!

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

By the way, I once saw on TV before a NASCAR race what 200mph. really looked like. You don't get the sense of speed that 200mph. really is watching a race on TV because the cars are going close to the same speed, and that's what they wanted to show. Ned Jarrett drove around Talledega at 55mph. with an in car camera, and Terry Labonte blew by him running over 200mph. It was wild!

The Swamp Rat was posed on the flight deck next to an F-14 for the 1975 Hot Rod cover shot with Smoke Bomb Smoke and air brushing to look like a burn out. Also photos of Garlits "racing" a F-8 on his tour of Vietnam in 1972 on the Lexington. He did run against a FA-18 in the 1987 with his turbine exhibition dragster and Tom McEwen ran his Duster funny car against an F-14 at the Naval Air Test Center in Pawtuxent River Maryland in 1975

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Boy, I miss Ned in the booth for the races. Also miss Benny Parsons. DW is OK, but sometimes he wears me out with his yapping.

I went to Daytona Speed Weeks five years in a row starting in 1990 and always had an excellent time. Before there were lots of official staff to keep people from walking right next to the catch fence, I would walk a little bit along the catch fence as the cars were coming toward me at 200 mph during practice. Talk about a RUSH!!! Maybe not smart on my part but it was one hell of a thrill and great experience.

200 mph 10 feet away is my record in intensity!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I haven't seen them since the 80's myself...or maybe it was the 70's, I don't remember. But the quickest time I remember was in the low 6's and I said to my friend "wow, someday they'll be down in the 5's." And he said "no,I don't think so, they've gone about as far as they can go with horsepower, tires, and everything else."...and look at them now- I was way off thinking 5 seconds'

THIS was a mid 5 second run . . . by Garlits . . . . .backwards :notworthy::notworthy:

P.T.CHESHIRE