Walter May

David

Would have been great to visit with him and hear his stories. I'm sure it would have been fascinating stuff to hear. Think about what he must have been a part of. I guess in some way that is why what we do is not just fun but a way to preserve the past. I wish him many happy miles in eternity.

Greg

• Like 1

If any of you know who Jim Winsor is, he and my father and myself are close friends. Jim resides in the Philadelphia area and we get together with Robert Gabrick at least 2-3x a year and have lunch or dinner. Jim has a PLETHORA of Walter May stories. Greatest one is about the development of the first generation Maxidyne engine and Mack's "CONSTANT TORQUE." I don't have time to type it out right now, maybe this weekend. It is a story worth sharing.

Would love to hear how they developed it. I really think the maxidyne is one of the best diesels ever produced.

• Like 2

Maybe one year after the maxidyne was created cummins tried to build a engine that would used a 5 speed.It was a NHT 270 cut back to 240 at 2100 but with a add on torque tailoring device to the top of the fuel pump it would keed its fuel pressure up there at 1200.But it was a flop.

glenn akers

The Power Torque 270. I can just here the brand X salesman saying,"It's just as good as a Maxidyne".......................................NOT! I heard the wet liners couldn't take the lugging. Go figure,Cummins seemed to have that problem a lot years ago. Brockway's "Huskidrive" used that same motor using a 5 speed and 2 speed rear end. Sounded like a good idea,You started off shifting the 5 speed with the air flipper(dash mounted) in the "Power" mode,then when you needed that extra gear for speed,you flipped the valve into "Cruise" (high in the 2 speed). Anyone had any experiences with the "Huskidrive"? Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Randy,

Perhaps Jim could write/type a story, last I heard he was not in the best of health (correct me if I am wrong). I knew Jim from TMC (Technology and Maintenance Council).

No, he is not doing too well (at the moment) He has ups and downs but this is a little more serious. I called him to see if he knew Mr May had passed and spoke with his wife at length. Out of respect for his privacy I will reserve further comment.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

The Power Torque 270. I can just here the brand X salesman saying,"It's just as good as a Maxidyne".......................................NOT! I heard the wet liners couldn't take the lugging. Go figure,Cummins seemed to have that problem a lot years ago. Brockway's "Huskidrive" used that same motor using a 5 speed and 2 speed rear end. Sounded like a good idea,You started off shifting the 5 speed with the air flipper(dash mounted) in the "Power" mode,then when you needed that extra gear for speed,you flipped the valve into "Cruise" (high in the 2 speed). Anyone had any experiences with the "Huskidrive"? Al

No experience with Huskidrive but as I recall, the dash mounted flipper was to discourage guys from thinking they were driving a "five and two" and would end up splitting gears if the selector was located on the stick. As for the PT-270, we were a big White customer and a bought a lot of 4564's- all NH 250's. Well we wrecked one and bought a 4564 with a PT-270. I think White had built it to our specs/color hoping they would get a shot. Had a RR, RT-906. 906! 3 holes then pull the button and grab the other three! Never saw another one.

Agree- Mr May and Mr Pelizonni truly invented a better mousetrap! Now 40 years later I recognize what an advance it was.

• Like 1