Air ride trailer

dds92780

Okay i really like my setup of my 95 mack Rd and my 94 freuhaff frameless trailer. I weigh about 28000 empty with it which isnt bad. So i was talking to an old timer today about suspension and how to be more comfortable and not take a beating. He said its not your truck with spring suspension that is rough on your back, its the trailer that doesnt have air ride that is hard on your back. ever notice when you are empty and when you hit bumps it kinda just moves you back and forth constantly? You feel it less when you are loaded but maybe you just don't notice that its screwing up your back.

Question is, If i bought a brand new trailer with air ride and sold my current trailer, would an air ride trailer be better on my back even though i dont have air ride on the truck?

It kinda makes sense to me because you got this big heavy trailer behind you and every bump you hit, it sends a vibration up toward you and just creates back pain after awhile. Would air ride be the solution?

What do you all think or do you have any experience with or without.

thanks

• Like 1

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Absolutely an air ride trailer will smooth your ride. I learned this when I was least to Bulk Matic with my MH cab over on Camelback springs. Always switching trailers the air ride tandem definitely made a difference. later in my career I pulled a spread axle dump. the spread axle will really smooth your ride but then you do give up some tare weight. I pulled that bucket with my MH and later on with a super liner on Camelback springs both were a pleasure to drive. the trailer makes all the difference.

Gregg

• Like 1

My MH is single axle with spring rear suspension. It is like riding a bucking bronco without a trailer. The air ride seat helps "tame" the ride. If I put anything in the sleeper it needs to be secured otherwise it will be on the floor. My trailer is a 28' drop van with single axle air ride. With the trailer connected and very little weight in the trailer, the MH does not "bounce" around. I like the way it handles and rides. I have a several stacks of furniture blankets and a small storage trunk in the trailer. The items don't move around the trailer. The added weight of the trailer on the fifth wheel helps improve the ride too.

I never pulled a spring suspension trailer with the MH but I would recommend an air ride trailer based on my experience.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Air ride trailer for sure. My R has taperleaf and if I'm pulling a spring ride flat or hopper, I know which bridge joints on I-90 will have me hit my head on the ceiling. Same bridge joint with an air ride trailer and I hardly noticed it. We acquired an 06 Trailstar 22 foot Aluminum dump last year on air ride, it's a great trailer.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone about air ride

BUT, you run a frameless dump?. Very unstable when dumping, then add the slow reaction of air ride

.02[/quote

I beg to differ on stability. We have ours set up to dump the air to the suspension when the gate opens.

• Like 2

Either get out and flip some switches to dump the air & unlatch the gate or wire 'em up for in-cab controls. Once the air is dumped, it is as stable as the ground beneath the wheels will allow. I've often wondered if the suspension dump could be automated for the idiots some of these companies have driving for them...could be done by locating the leveling valve off the front axle. Start raising the bed, valve starts dumping air. Bed comes down, it airs it back up. Only question is whether it would dump the air fast enough to keep it stable...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Or you could tie it into the PTO control, when you turn the pump on, it dumps the air on everything. It only takes a few seconds to dump the air in my bags. Surely quicker then the bed could raise very far.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Here's my empty weight. 85' R model with 06' Trailstar 22 foot dump full of fuel

25500???

Wow that is a great empty weight. I remember my 89 r model being about 300 pounds lighter than my rd. What springs do you have on that r? 34k or 38k? that is damn light :)

I talked to another guy that i work with and they have an axle trailer that they converted with air ride and super singles and they normally use the pete with it. He says it rides great. Now with that same trailer he sometimes uses the 89 R model with spring suspension and it hurts his back. My dad was saying there is no way that i can make my ride comfortable because its all in the geometry of the tractor. I don't really want to believe that because i have made this one bad ass R model from the sound system to 500+ hp, to the nice interior and shiny crap on the truck i would really hate to get rid of it :(

I agree with everyone about air ride

BUT, you run a frameless dump?. Very unstable when dumping, then add the slow reaction of air ride

NEVER dump with bags inflated!!!

Also study the geometry of a frameless dump it is inherently more stable than a frame trailer. You have a tripod supporting up to half the length of your trailer, and your pivot point is the rear axle, putting your center of gravity much closer to the ground instead of worn out old pins on top of the frame rails.

Try a frameless you'll never go back...

Gregg

• Like 1

25500???

Wow that is a great empty weight. I remember my 89 r model being about 300 pounds lighter than my rd. What springs do you have on that r? 34k or 38k? that is damn light :)

I talked to another guy that i work with and they have an axle trailer that they converted with air ride and super singles and they normally use the pete with it. He says it rides great. Now with that same trailer he sometimes uses the 89 R model with spring suspension and it hurts his back. My dad was saying there is no way that i can make my ride comfortable because its all in the geometry of the tractor. I don't really want to believe that because i have made this one bad ass R model from the sound system to 500+ hp, to the nice interior and shiny crap on the truck i would really hate to get rid of it :(

I have Taperleaf(3 leaf). I have a 12 speed which is a lil heavy. I also have a box full of flatbed equipment. My bother's 91' RD with the heavy single frame and camelback is about 600# heavier. The problem with a light unit is that you can never get loaded correctly. Too light or too heavy, never dead on. An air ride trailer will make your RD ride a lot smoother and when those other guys are spinning out with there air ride tractors, you will be keeping traction and leaving ahead of them.
  • Like 1

NEVER dump with bags inflated!!!

Also study the geometry of a frameless dump it is inherently more stable than a frame trailer. You have a tripod supporting up to half the length of your trailer, and your pivot point is the rear axle, putting your center of gravity much closer to the ground instead of worn out old pins on top of the frame rails.

Try a frameless you'll never go back...

Gregg

Preach

that is a great empty weight, i know guys that have trucks that weigh that much bobtail. air ride setups are a little heavier than spring ride. air ride does improve the ride. you will notice more difference empty than loaded with a air ride trailer it will tend to bounce around less over bumps

Hell, I'm approaching 19K bobtail...and fixin' ta get heavier here once I get a round tuit. Thinking about making a headache rack...but low-profile. Don't want to encroach upon my rear window that opens for better air flow, but now that I'm flat bedding, I DESPERATELY need someplace to stow straps, chains, edge protectors, binders, bungees, etc... BESIDES on the passenger side floor. Been contemplating incorporating the muffler braces into the idea...but not sure if it would be so wise to weld a brace between the two and make them more rigid. I figure I could make a platform about 6' wide by 3' deep and run it right up to the hydraulic hoses...fill in the empty frame space between the back of the cab and the catwalk. Mount a box on each side to store straps, etc. in...and weld a piece of angle iron between the muffler braces to hang chains from. Still in the "thinkin'bout it" stage, though...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

That is a great empty weight Storkmack. And I've heard that about spring ride tractors, that the are better off road. I just don't know if I want to go back to spring ride, lol. Though I've never drivin one with tapper leaf. Heard they ride good. How well do they hold up?

And that's funny you mention the Axle trailer. One of my friends was telling me today about one that was converted to air ride. I bet it's the same one.

Personally for a dump truck keep springs for the tractor and air ride for the trailer. You get better traction for the tractor and the trailer with air wont bounce and buck you around.

The ride quaility with a air ride trailer is night and day. Always dump the air bags when dumping.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bringing this up again because i am supposed to look at a 98 galbreath trailer with 60 foot sides, (liner) aluminium, frameless, new air bag setup, new brakes (self adjusting) long draft arms, aluminum wheels.

I like the looks of my freuhauf with my truck but I'm thinking that i either need to get a better truck like peterbilt 379 or kenworth w900 with air ride and maybe keep the trailer? Or am i best off keeping my mack and just upgrading the trailer instead???

Does a ch with springs and air ride trailer ride any different than an RD with springs and air ride trailer?

Only asking because im deciding if i should just keep my spring ride trailer and upgrade the truck? Reason is because my dad has a 96 peterbilt with air trac suspension and the same trailer as me and said it rides great. I know the tractor is the main difference in how it will ride but how will just upgrading the trailer be with keeping my r model? thanks