question about R686ST

Does anyone out there know if there are any photos of the first limited edition R686ST that was introduced around 1974 I believe. I remember them as being white with red/blue striping, chrome bumper with gold bulldogs on the bumper bolts and they had the first 300 Maxidyne engines. I believe they were limited edition and the company I was working for back then had placed the order for one from Trenton Mack in Trenton , NJ. I was hoping that my memory is not failing and would love to see a pic of one again. It was very unique looking. Thanks drivers

So, "Mack Bulldog Magazine Cover" is the subject title of the thread where the Mack Bulldog Magazine Cover can be found. I'm gonna have to write that down this time.

Jim

I thank everyone for the replies to my question about the first R model 300 maxidynes color scheme. I knew that if I asked here that I would receive a vast knowledge from all the "puppydog" people and I was right. I especially appreciated the picture from the Bulldog Magazine showing all the R's and F's ready to go. I sure wish I had one just to drive around in on Saturday night. There is nothing like a good old Mack. Thanks everyone.

Was the 300 maxadyne as tough as the 237. what were the sales of each.

There's been talk on here of the 300 running hotter but I don't remember anyone having any other complaints. Somewhere in the wiki is a breakdown of model production numbers but you would have to total the number of various 685, 686, 785, and 786's to get a rough idea. The 237 will have higher numbers because of the longer production run, but I'd like to see how the numbers would match up had the 300 been introduced along side the 237 back in the 60's.

Jim

Jim,

If you wait long enough they will be in style. I still have my white belt but I think I disposed of my leisure suit and white shoes... :whistling:

I'd put on a tutu and high heels and prance around whistling "Dixie" if it would take me back in time and put me in the crowd with the "300"s.

• Like 1

Jim

Those little old 672cid. 285hp Maxidynes with the 5 speeds 3.87 rears that I ran would run with or out pull a 855cid. 350hp cummins with a 13 speed. the 237s were hell of a good motors but those old 2 valve 285-300 would keep pulling.

• Like 1

There was nothing sweeter than the sound of the 300 turbos "whistling" between shifts and the sight of the hood scoop. What a power beast they were. I liked the 2 stick 6 speed for the impression it gave even though you didn't really need it on the highway.

• Like 1