Rifleman, thanks for posting those pictures. Very interesting. My Mack production numbers show that 12 MH 6122 were built between 1987 and 1990. Superdog posted in the other thread he knows where one is located. Rare dog.

• Like 1

The headlights had to go in the bumper to comply with DOT or highway something, could only be a certain height off the ground, and yes Ken, pics were taken at MEC. herd of a couple around but no leeds, Like to have one, maybe I could modify my MH

The center of the headlights have to be 54" or less so that is not the reason.

Nice custom frame jog. This does not look like the typical plates.

You could have Tulsa equipment build one for you

Okay girls and boys...here is what Dr. Don S at the Mack Museum has to say:

The UPS 4x4 MH tractors were built to be used to shuttle trailers over mountain passes such as Donner Pass on I-80 in California. Without doing a lot of research, I found 13 chassis record cards on two different GSO’s. The headlights were installed in the bumpers to comply with the 54” maximum height limitation. The normal grille openings for the headlights were filled with covers cut from a standard grille. You can see two of the cover attaching screws for the left cover panel on the MH612-003 photo.

Thanks for another GREAT job by Don and the Museum. :notworthy:

Excellent. Thanks for researching this.

Jim

Having never seen one,and knowing nothing about these particular trucks,i was curious were these manual trans. or automatics? thanks for looking into these Ken,some very interesting trucks!.............................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I just found this thread.  I was the engineer at the test tab that was in charge of running the prototype build. 
While another person did the "heavy lifting" (concept, drivetrain), me, and the mechanics I worked with, had to work out the majority of the details.  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2015 at 6:55 AM, farmer52 said:

My comment about the headlights was aimed (no pun) at the grille. I would like to know if the lower grille sections were "modified" or new moulds to replace the normal headlamp pieces.

The lower center section was an upper center section turned upside down.  That why, in the photo looking straight-on, this section is darker.  The chrome bars are normally tilted back slightly to reflect the bright sky.  With that lower section, it is reflecting the darker ground.