White 4000/9000

james j neiweem

The White Road Boss thread brings up a point. Mack started the B series in 1953. About the same time the White 9000 small cab was started and then latter about the mid sixties the A car cab was started. Mack and White sales were pretty close at the time. I wonder how White 9000 small cab compared to Mack B's 50,000 plus. Also I wonder what the comparison was of R Model Sales to White A car cab and Road Boss series. I know the R model had a longer run than the 4000/9000 series. Discounting the RD's they may have been pretty close. Also Ford's Louiville line may have been close to White and Mack during the 70's and 80's. B)

I don't have the answer but there sure were a lot of Whites out there. Seems like many shippers ran them.

B's, R's and the White's had a long run but the C model Ford run, I believe, was 1957-1990. 33 years is a pretty good run!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Jim,

I've asked the question,time & time again,how many Ford C-models were actually built? Nobody knows????? I thought I read a story at the end of their run,they had surpassed the AC :mack1: in years of production,(which I wouldn't doubt). Need an expert to clarify! Anybody,ANYBODY,PLEASE!! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Jim,

I've asked the question,time & time again,how many Ford C-models were actually built? Nobody knows????? I thought I read a story at the end of their run,they had surpassed the AC :mack1: in years of production,(which I wouldn't doubt). Need an expert to clarify! Anybody,ANYBODY,PLEASE!! Al

I believe you are correct in terms of the Ford C series beating the AC. But didn't the R beat that counting the RD? If C was 33 years, first R was 65. Wasn't RD built until 2002 or 2003??

I think the B model production was closer to 100,000.

If I remember right the AC model, the one-time leader, was produced for 26 years.

The Ford C was actually built for 34 years, 1957 through 1990.

As far as the R, it seems it should be only the R and not the variations - but there are no rules, so who can say. If you go by the same basic styling, that will be different than sticking strictly with a model designation. The Ford F series was started in 1948, but it is a totally different truck today.

I think the B model production was closer to 100,000.

If I remember right the AC model, the one-time leader, was produced for 26 years.

The Ford C was actually built for 34 years, 1957 through 1990.

As far as the R, it seems it should be only the R and not the variations - but there are no rules, so who can say. If you go by the same basic styling, that will be different than sticking strictly with a model designation. The Ford F series was started in 1948, but it is a totally different truck today.

To be specific, B production was 1953 to 1965, total production of 126,377 trucks.

Another bit of Ford C Trivia, I read somewhere that the first C built, and the LAST one built were driven off the line by the same guy! Don't know if the guy was still on the payroll at Louisville or if they brought him in for the event from retirement.

• Like 1

The Mack version was the "N". Both Ford and Mack cabs were built by Budd. I do believe Ford designed the initial cab. Big difference, the Ford always had a full width bench seat and was designed for compact V blocks. The Mack N had a huge doghouse to accomodate the Mack 673 diesels as well as all the linkage associated with Mack two sticks.

To be specific, B production was 1953 to 1965, total production of 126,377 trucks.

Another bit of Ford C Trivia, I read somewhere that the first C built, and the LAST one built were driven off the line by the same guy! Don't know if the guy was still on the payroll at Louisville or if they brought him in for the event from retirement.

The last year for B models was 1966.

I think the U came out in 64 and in all rights it is an R model of sorts?

Since the original post referred to cabs, I'd say that counts, but I think the U came out in '65. That's still 39 years until the last RD in '04.

This is a bit of a stretch but the F model came out in '62 and shared many parts with the DM, R, U, etc.

Jim

I got my info from the "The Mack Bulldog, Hood Ornament". An 8 page booklet produced by Mack Museum. If you are correct, Museum is in error so if you have good info, drop them a note so they can correct their publication. (Info is at top of pg. 8)

PZ 1. The minute I hit the send key I had a thought and went to the bookcase and pulled out my copy of "Mack" by John Montville. You are correct according to this book as it lists all models by years of production. Many B series are listed through 1966.

Guess I should send Museum a note :)

• 3 weeks later...

PZ 1. The minute I hit the send key I had a thought and went to the bookcase and pulled out my copy of "Mack" by John Montville. You are correct according to this book as it lists all models by years of production. Many B series are listed through 1966.

Guess I should send Museum a note :)

i heard they built B,s thru 66,,just to get rid of alotta parts they still had...bob