What Do All The Letters And Numbers Mean?

Hey Guys,

I have been looking for a Mack to buy and later put a dump bed on but. What the heck do all the numbers and letters mean? DM, R600, RS686LS, RS, R686ST, and it seems like ther are a lot more mumbers out there too! Maybe there is a book out there that explains it! Any help would be greatly appreciated by this rookie!

Regards, Joel :wacko:

They are for model and drive line specs

R was the model

RS600L was a westen made R with steel frame and light weight componets

RL700L was a westen made R with alum frame and light weight componets

600 had standard hod lengths

700 had a longer hood

RB was a set back axel

DM was a "dump mixer" designed chassis

The digits in the middle R"685"ST would stand for the engine type Maxidyne, Econodyne, etc...the ST is six wheel tractor

Its was very easy to desiginate a mack back in the day now all this new mack numbers..CU, CXU, CTP, CHU,GU,CHN is Crap. it makes no sence and when people cant under stand what it is they dont want it!!! 3P Wake up these rookies at Mack.!

End of my Rant hope it helps!!!

HK is right. The new model designations are a Swede thing. The CH and CX built on a VOLVO platform are now

a CHN and CXN , with the N meaning it has a Volvo frame. The U designates that it has a Volvo engine. I am

sure that most of you know that Mack no longer makes an engine, so they will probably drop the 'U' soon since

all Macks built after Jan. 2 2008 have Volvo engines in them.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but my job has no impact on how they name models.

3P, if you could influence Volvo, get them to do away with the World ID Numbering system also! LOL :lol:

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Thanks for the vote of confidence but my job has no impact on how they name models.

And there's the problem in a nutshell.

Evidently the input from you guys here in the U.S. is disregarded by the Volvo bigwigs.

Mack is (was) the greatest American truck and it's being emasculated by foreigners who have no f***in' clue.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Ive said once & im gonna say it again i hope :mack1: Doesnt end up like Autocar, Clark michigan, Ackerman Champion , White Motor co. , & the GMC Brigadier & General

Which is all a page in history thanks to the swedish company I LOVE TO CUSS OUT & HATE (i think ive named most of them have i missed some ?)

may all the company's bought out by the sweds (v^lv&) R.I.P.

(Although AutoCar manged to rise from the Ashes of v^&v& like a phoniex thank the Lord i just wish they'd buld a conventail again ;) )

Also I Got my bulldog magizine in the mail the other day anyone else notice ? or is it just me the new "MACK" Titan looks more like a damn VO&&O VHD WHO are the trying to kid in the :MackLogo: world Good Lord :angry:

They anit gonna freaking quit till they put my truck (:mack1:) in the grave like they've others done before & it may happen cause just look who the president of :mack1: is now

The mack bros would roll over in thier grave if they knew this was going on makes me kinda wish the mack bros could haunt the big wigs @ the Swedish Co. i love to cuss & hate ;)

just my 2 cents yall ill come down off my soapbox now

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Ive said once & im gonna say it again i hope :mack1: Doesnt end up like Autocar, Clark michigan, Ackerman Champion , White Motor co. , & the GMC Brigadier & General

Which is all a page in history thanks to the swedish company I LOVE TO CUSS OUT & HATE (i think ive named most of them have i missed some ?)

(Although AutoCar manged to rise from the Ashes of v^&v& like a phoniex thank the Lord i just wish they'd buld a conventail again ;) )

Also I Got my bulldog magizine in the mail the other day anyone else notice ? or is it just me the new "MACK" Titan looks more like a damn VO&&O VHD WHO are the trying to kid in the :MackLogo: world Good Lord :angry:

They anit gonna freaking quit till they put my truck (:mack1:) in the grave like they've others done before & it may happen cause just look who the president of :mack1: is now

The mack bros would roll over in thier grave if they knew this was going on makes me kinda wish the mack bros could haunt the big wigs @ the Swedish Co. i love to cuss & hate ;)

CAN I HAVE AN AMEN FOR THE BROTHER...AMEN SO SAYS MACKDADDY1911A1 :MackLogo: FOREVER

post-2321-1212522474_thumb.jpg

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Amen!! As a mechanic at a Mack ( and now volvo ) dealership for nearly 2 decades I have seen firsthand,

the Rapid decline in Mack trucks over the past 3 years. From what I see everyday, the only Mack parts on the new

trucks is the cab shell and the Bulldog on the hood. They are built on volvo platforms, with volvo engines, volvo

interior, and volvo electronics. Sadder yet, is the fact that today June 4th I brought a new Molvo CH in to do a

predelivery on it before the customer picked it up and it had a noise in the engine. Imagine how our salesman

felt when he had to call the customer and tell him that he couldn't pick up his New truck today because, we were

tearing it apart to put a new camshaft in it. Yep, brand new MP8 with 65 miles on it and it had a cam failure due

to 2 siezed intake rocker rollers. Sadder yet, is that volvo told us that it is 'normal' for the rocker rollers to sieze up if the truck has not been run for a few days. What are we supposed to do as a dealer? Go out every day and start all the trucks so that they don't fall apart in the lot? I am sure that all of you longtime Mack owners don't want to hear it,

but the fact is, Mack is Gone. Do yourself a favor and keep your old Macks till you retire.

Mack is Gone. Do yourself a favor and keep your old Macks till you retire.

Yes, the original "Mack" corporation is gone and not to be returned as we know it.

I think of Volvo much the same as my family did of the White Motors corporation in the 50's and 60's. They went "binge purchasing" to extract more technology and profit soaking up Autocar, Diamond T, Reo, Continental Engines, (all but aviation) etc., until they were overextended. In the White Motors Corporations' case the economic downturn was unrecoverable, and there was no option except to liquidate the assets in the early 80's.

I see Volvo doing the same business in this country with Mack. Without further development, Mack technology is at the end of it's useful service life, and it is being replaced by much less costly technology (including common platforms for all of their brands) when it is spread over the complete line.

Most folks I know that have purchased Mack products have done so due to brand loyalty citing good delivered service from the product(s), and good dealer support. Once this rapid descention downward from quality and service is complete, replaced with the mentality of "get it out of warranty" the truck buying public will purchase solely on the low dollar bid.

The Chicago Cubs baseball team is much like Mack Trucks to me. They are iconic in nature. The Cubs do not have to win the game, or pennant to be supported by their loyal fan base. They will always be around no matter who the ownership is at the corporate level. The consistently packed stadium, (Wrigley Field) they play in at home is a testament to this. Mack will always have it's loyal customer base also, especially with the folks that work off road. My own thoughts are that the faithful will be rewarded.

I feel Mack Trucks will emerge from this as a separate entity from Volvo Corporation in the long run. I don't see Volvo "killing off" Mack Trucks, but rather divesting of their interests in the corporation once they extract the remaining profits that are to be had.

Just some of my random thoughts...........

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Right on Rob. We still have the Mack name. If you look at it realistically the demise of Mack started with the buy out by the signal companies back in the sixties. They bled them dry and spit them out. Then Renault propped them up and infused some money. Now we have Volvo. Mack spent a lot of effort on the design and engineering side but failed to watch the store on the buisiness side. Crapccar on the other hand paid attention to the buisiness side and they are still in business. Unfortunately or fortunately Volvo is all we have for the present. I think they know the Mack name is a golden egg and I agree with you they don't want to kill it off. As a matter of a fact I don't think they can kill it off. On the other hand the great industrial giant Westinghouse was bought out by CBS (owners of Bevis and Butthead) and they broke up the industrail giant and sold it to the Europeons. Long live the Dog.

Thanks Jerry, Mackdaddy & Herb i was just speaking my mind & had to vent was putting my 2 cents in as i see it ;)

Rob & James : i hope yall are right & they cant kill off :mack1: if Autocar could do it im sure the ole :bulldog3: can rise from ashes like a phoniex not if but when it comes down to it . & not be a page in the history books

I Just dont want to see :MackLogo: put in the grave ya know look @ Autocar (towards the end of the v*l*o era) it was standard for the sweds motor in ACAR Insted of Cat, Cummins or Detroit ( most of the time ya had to order the truck to get the other 3 motors ) & the suspension was the same way that damn T RIDE Was standard insted of Hendickson rubberblock or walking beams or Chalmers (which were optional )

These reasons were the reason why my family wouldnt buy any NEW "Vol&*ized" Autocars caused they were "VO***OIZED " & they put that God ugly line across the hood :angry: To get a truck w/o thier suspension & motor ya had to order it & we checked in to it it took longer to ORDER an Autocar THE WAY WE WANTED IT SPECED VS A :mack1: the way we wanted it speced So we went :mack1: all the way (w/ the exception of a Couple of Jimmys we had)

& My Family was as loyal to Autocar As we are to :mack1: til the sweds got to jacking w/Autocar so much it was more Vo**o than A Car then we disownedd the newer vol**ized Autocars like a bad family member

just my 2 cents yall

have a safeone yall

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

PRE- volvo. The BULLDOG was only 4 inches high, but looked up to by an entire industry.

Now the Bulldog, with tears in his eyes, simply shits on the hood of a volvo, and unfortunately, there is

nothing that you , the owners, or me the dealership mechanics, can do about it..

Simply put, volvo don't care about you, they only care about themselves. They don't care if your new truck

falls apart at 320,000 miles cause the warrenty is up. They don't want you to keep your truck past 3 years, they want to to send your money to Sweden every 3 years for a new truck.

Bottom line; volvo bought Mack to get access to its large number of dealerships, thats all. They don't care one bit

about Mack's history, or it's longtime owner loyalty, they only wanted their dealership base to peddle their junk.

.........Sadder yet, is that volvo told us that it is 'normal' for the rocker rollers to sieze up if the truck has not been run for a few days.

A couple of years ago, I helped a friend of mine get his B61 with END711 running for the first time in more than 10 years. Yes, I said more than 10 years.

Once we freed up the rack in the injection pump, and made sure the engine oil & coolant were topped off, it started and ran just like it was used yesterday.

I'm betting the V*lvo junk wouldn't be capable of that.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Once we freed up the rack in the injection pump, and made sure the engine oil & coolant were topped off, it started and ran just like it was used yesterday.

I despise volvo and what they have done to some good companys, but... they make a bitchin' good industrial engine. No idea on truck engines, but the ones we had on crushers in the pits would just run, and take it all in, the good the bad the ugly, and run some more. Reason we had Vulva-pentas was fuel economy versus big cats or cummins kts. Wish I could remember the engine models, but they didnt mean anything to me then. Or now, really. As far as vulva ruining the trucks, well, ya, they did that. They will probably go to hell for it, but not before they reap the profits.

cc

I despise volvo and what they have done to some good companys, but... they make a bitchin' good industrial engine.

I have to agree on the industrial side of their engines. We have one Volvo D-16 series engine in service ahead of a 400kw Kohler genset, and it runs strong and flawless. There is another scheduled for delivery this fall that is spec'd the same way. These engines are much quieter in operation that the Detroit/Emerson Electric sets they replaced, and do not leak fluids at all. They are too loud to stand next to without earmuffs on, but one does not need the earplugs also as was customary with the Detroits!

We get a lot of freight using FedEx, and Yellow at the federal job. Both use a large mixture of Volvo, and Freightliners. I receive mixed reviews from drivers when I ask about service and reliability of the trucks in whole from them. Several of the drivers have stopped by, or delivered to my shop to recall a "better time" of trucking than what they have now when they see my "old" trucks.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Bulldog Magazine? I'm almost afraid to ask after reading all these posts,but how do you get this Bulldog magazine?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

You could probably contact Mack to get on their BullDog Magazine mailing list, or ask your local dealer for a copy.

We usually recieve a couple dozen at our dealership and give them to customers. Or, if you want to just read them all right now, you can simply go to Mack's website @ macktrucks.com and click on the site map. Scroll down about

halfway and look for Bulldog magazine. You can read the last 6 or so issues in PDF format. You will have to enlarge

them though to read them since they look kinda small by default..

Salesman have a great way of twisting the meaning of things,lol. Mack doesn't make an engine designed to run

on Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel Fuel. Hence the U in your example above, CXU613 is as I had stated earlier. The U means

that it is equipped with a VOLVO engine. When the new EPA regulations took effect for 2007 , Volvo discontinued the

Mack engine. All Mack-branded trucks built after that had Volvo engines, built at the Volvo powertrain assembly

plant. The Mack MP7, MP8, and MP10 are identical to the Volvo D11, D13, and D16. Depending on which engines

are needed that day, they simply change the paint barrels at the end of the line. If Volvo needs engines, they paint

them green, if Mack needs engines, they paint them red. Also, the Mack branded CH and CX trucks are also now

built by Volvo at Volvo's assembly plant. I believe that the Granite is still assembled in Hagerstown though, at least for the time being.

Edited by jerrymac

• 2 months later...

Jerry

We were using the Volvo derivative engines before the U designation. The CTP, CXN, and CHN all used the Volvo based engine. We had a few delivered to Macungie that had the Volvo color scheme from when they were shipped here from Europe. The U is for Ultra Low Sulfur, which is the EPA 2007 emmisions engine. The Volvo powertrain Assembly plant is the Mack Hagerstown assembly plant. Volvo took it over and rocked thier world. Now they are putting in $50 million to machine the blocks there.

Salesman have a great way of twisting the meaning of things,lol. Mack doesn't make an engine designed to run

on Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel Fuel. Hence the U in your example above, CXU613 is as I had stated earlier. The U means

that it is equipped with a VOLVO engine. When the new EPA regulations took effect for 2007 , Volvo discontinued the

Mack engine. All Mack-branded trucks built after that had Volvo engines, built at the Volvo powertrain assembly

plant. The Mack MP7, MP8, and MP10 are identical to the Volvo D11, D13, and D16. Depending on which engines

are needed that day, they simply change the paint barrels at the end of the line. If Volvo needs engines, they paint

them green, if Mack needs engines, they paint them red. Also, the Mack branded CH and CX trucks are also now

built by Volvo at Volvo's assembly plant. I believe that the Granite is still assembled in Hagerstown though, at least for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...