Some more government waste.

PeterMack

Wonder how much of a "cash incentive" his buddy Lord O gave him to go green . . .$$$$$$

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

All excellent points made on the subject guys. It looks like bunch of the money came from a Federal grant so that means everybody gets

to pay for this debacle. It's only on a one year trial. What does that prove. I'd like to see it go through 6 Chicago winters and be a complete

rust bucket with corroded electrical connections and see if it holds up for a millions dollars. I haven't priced a new garbage truck but I would

think you could get four or five regular ones for that kind of money.

• Like 2

This info must've been leaked. I can't believe any politician would admit to investing $1 million of public money in an electric garbage truck.

Then again, those of us that are sensible are probably outnumbered 3 to 1 by the treehuggers that are touching themselves while reading this.

• Like 1

Jim

This info must've been leaked. I can't believe any politician would admit to investing $1 million of public money in an electric garbage truck.

Then again, those of us that are sensible are probably outnumbered 3 to 1 by the treehuggers that are touching themselves while reading this.

Just think Sondalara, Fiskers Electra-motive and a dozen more Green companies the got Federal grants and failed from the start.

Much as I'm no a fan of the Town of Brookhaven, they power all the refuse trucks, light and medium trucks on methane from the land fill. The initial investment to make the fuel paid for it self in 3 years in fuel and maintenance savings.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The state of CT built a 400 million "busway" to nowhere for just buses to drive on. Bought electric buses. One burned already and they didn't even open the busway yet. Wait a few years once it fails they'll probably open it up to cars. Said it was to boost state economy even though a Maasachusestts contractor did majority of the job with their people from Mass

• Like 2

Matt

Wait til the new job stimulus starts for our "new citizens". Let the pay offs and graft begin.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mean while you can't run your ac at home cause there's to much demand on the grid.

Everyone forgets electricity comes from a source of energy.

mine comes from the nuke plant about 12 miles away

also have a massive solar thing about 15 miles west of here

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I know many of the buses around here have LP on them. Is that any cheaper then diesel per mile? Or just "cleaner"?

I would say neither. It is the "feel good" "tree hugger" mentality. There are "incentive$ - read that as tax dollar$" to use fuels other than Diesel. LP engines have pollutants that are different than Diesel. BTU content of LP is lower than Diesel so the engine burns more fuel to produce the same power. The cleanest engine IMO is a Diesel with DPF and SCR. ZERO pollutants! In some areas the exhaust is cleaner than the intake air. Maybe the trucking companies should charge for cleaning the air.

I am an engineeer and any technology should be proven by its own merits....not incentives, tax breaks, tax dollars, etc.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Yup, I knew LP had less BTU, so figured it would take more to equal the power of diesel. It is ALWAYS about the all mighty dollar!

Same as Ethanol cut gas. E-10 gives you 20% plus less BTU's. starts to degrade immediately after refining, extremely hydroscopic, decreases in mpg by 25 to 35% over real fuel. Plus side is you use more so the take on fuel tax is more. . .

My Dodge gets 15 on real gas and 9 on E-10

P.T.CHESHIRE