Have a couple ? For you superliner experts

We have 2 superliners both which are 88 that are a little different and I can figure out why. Mine has dayton wheels on the drive axles which I happen to like and the other one has aluminum wheels (bud wheels). I get that it's how someone originally ordered them no big deal. This is where it gets weird..... My dads truck with with the aluminum wheels all the way around are 8 lug!!! Mine has standard 10 lug wheels on the steer axle. I can figure out why someone would order it that way. The other strange difference is his truck has the power steering pump bolted to the backof the air compressor and the reservoir on the drivers side of the engine. Mine has the steering pump bolted to the engine on the lower passengers front side with the reservoir bolted next to it. Someone explain to me why they are like this. Thanks scott.

8 hole hub pilot wheels were used in the late 80's to mid 90's used a larger stud and nut and were believed to be stronger wheels than 10 hole, but never were popular and probably are not the easiest to find rims for now. My 92 MH had 8 hole on the steers.

8 hole hub pilot wheels were used in the late 80's to mid 90's used a larger stud and nut and were believed to be stronger wheels than 10 hole, but never were popular and probably are not the easiest to find rims for now. My 92 MH had 8 hole on the steers.

You are exactly right on the hard to find. I've never seen another truck in person that has those 8 lug wheels.

Roadway used the HELL out of the hub piloted WHD-8 wheel system. I had it on my '90 RD,on the rears only-had ball seat 10 hole on the front.Great wheels until an inexperienced tire jockey forgot to tighten the nuts to the required torque. A set of duals loosened up and beat the hell out of a hub. I did like them,though. 8 nuts and you had both wheels and the outboard brake drum off. 10 hole hub-piloted (unimount) came out shortly afterwards,and pretty much became the industry standard.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

The late 80's early 90's were weird times with Mack, seems you could order trucks with the same spec 3 months apart and get something different at delivery. I'm sure Mack would say it was constant improvement to their product but it makes parts hunting annoying. I've seen lots of 8 lug trucks, most were bulk haul trucks around here, fuel tankers, bulk tankers, freight trucks,etc. Seems they were touted for more strength, quicker changes and lighter weight but never caught on market wide.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I CAN MAYBE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS SUBJECT! MY FIRST FULLTIME JOB WAS IN SPAREPARTS AT OUR LOCAL FORD DEALER! NOW, I'M IN AUS SO SOME THINGS ARE DIFFERENT HERE TO THE US BUT I'M SURE YOU'RE ALL FAMILIAR WITH THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WINDSOR AND CLEVELAND V8'S. LONG STORY SHORT, IT WAS CONSIDERED GOSPEL THAT AN ''XY FALCON'' AN AUS MODEL, WAS NEVER, EVER PRODUCED WITH A WINDSOR V8 EVER! A MATE OF MINE BOUGHT A ''ONE OWNER'' XY WAGON AND THE AT TIME AND AS I LOOKED IT OVER I SAID TO HIM THAT'S A WINDSOR NOT A CLEVELAND, THINKING AT THE TIME THE ORIGINAL OWNER REPOWERED IT AT SOME TIME! ANYWAY MY FRIEND ENQUIRED INTO IT AND WAS TOLD THAT SHE'S ALL ORIGINAL, I SAID BULLSHIT! MANY YEARS LATER IT CAME TOO LIGHT THAT FORD HAD DONE A RUN OF XY'S ALL WAGONS, ALL THE SAME COLOUR, OPTIONS, EVERYTHING TOO RUN OUT THE EXISTING SUPPLY OF WINDSOR V8 MOTORS BUT THEY WERE NEVER SHOWN AS A PRODUCTION MODEL IN PARTS BOOKS. SO MY POINT BEING, THAT EVEN NO MATTER HOW WELL YOU THINK YOU KNOW SOMETHING, YOU JUST NEVER KNOW !!! :whistling:

• Like 1

:mack1:

I reckon Micks getting pretty close to what might have happened if we can cast our minds back to the late 80's we need to remember we were coming out of a recession and lots of things ie cars trucks tractors werent selling any good for years and companys had huge stocks of parts so models were geared towards what parts they had to many of or at least thats they way it was in Australia Ive got no idea about the rest of the world but I reckon the whole world was bit pear shaped back then

Paul

yes,and I know for fact my engine is original

unless they got scrapped,I might be able to get ahold of some of the 8 bolt aluminum wheels if you want spares,letme know and I will check on them

Ya I def would like to get some spares. My engine is def a e6 350 as well.