1970 Western Mack R

r686st

1970 Mack R with 290 Cummins, looks like some sort of 2 stick 5 speed transmission, spring suspension (not camelback), 11-24.5 tires. Has the smaller -3 cab with some rust, will need batteries, fuel, tires and etc. I'm considering buying it for myself but if I don't I figured I'd post it so it doesn't rot away. I have the owners name and number so just message. He tells me he has a clean title and is asking $2,000. Could you give me your thoughts on if I should buy it or if it's even worth it?

post-14068-0-60609500-1394233063_thumb.j

post-14068-0-80847800-1394233127_thumb.j

post-14068-0-01148300-1394233177_thumb.j

post-14068-0-30547700-1394233224_thumb.j

With 12v71 it would be a mad beast.

Just an easy spray of the wheels with a can and cleaning/polishing up the cab might make her nice-looking white-dressed lady.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

What is the model number on the door-mounted ID plate? I'm asking to determine how the truck was originally built.

Based on the large dual fuel tanks, one might assume it started life as a tractor. But then I see the (rusty) double frame rails. Odd. Was it a tractor later lengthened to become a dump? Then you need to look very closely at how they performed the frame stretch. And/or was a rail broken and repaired by adding an outside channel?

If it was used as a dump, those light axles and suspension were most likely abused, pushed beyond their limits.

With a truck like this, the frame is something I look at hard. Sure, $2000 is cheap, but Mack Western frame rails are no longer available.

That cab does have a lot of rot, but you can obtain another cab.

I didn't get the tag or number off of the door. It's been sitting for about ten years. The dipstick showed just a trace of oil on it and the radiator caps (yes plural) were left open and I can't see water in it. It was used as a septic tank truck the tank has since been removed and mounted on a trailer. I think the tank was 3000 or 4000 gallons.

If it is Cummins 290 powered I think if a 2 stick trans it would be 5x4 or possibly 5X3 trans.If not Camelback then Hendrickson Walking Beam or possibly Reyco 101, another spring suspension looks like Camelback is Page+Page Husky Model. I have it on 1970 KW.Joe D.

Is it still for sale?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

A long hood R with disc wheels, radiator shutters, and a clean frame, hell I want it for $2000

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Yes it's a steel dash. Rust has eaten up the kick panels below the doors and has started working inside the door frames as well as the base of the windshield by the dash. Original seats and headliner looks like also but the driver bottom needs to be recovered. Yes it's still for sale. I think I'm going to have my mechanic go see if he can check it out and get it running. BTW: The motor said 1977 on it so it must have been put in later so I'm not sure if it had a 290 from the factory also.