Mack Trucks - The Difference Behind the Name

Diggin' that R-Model! anyone notice its pulling a Matlack tanker? they were a BIG user of Macks,they had a satellite terminal near me in Swedesboro,NJ right off Route 322,there is a Kenworth dealership there now.................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Diggin' that R-Model! anyone notice its pulling a Matlack tanker? they were a BIG user of Macks,they had a satellite terminal near me in Swedesboro,NJ right off Route 322,there is a Kenworth dealership there now.................................Mark

Matlack, like Chemical Leaman, Air Products and Overnite, was a major Mack customer.

But that's no R-model, that's an RS Value-Liner, an extremely different truck from the R and my personal favorite.

• Like 1

yep most people still don't belive they made R models with button tuck interior or carpet floors.

You're speaking of the Hayward-assembled Mack Western interior in the RWL/RWS and RL/RS. That was among the highest trim levels ever available and extremely plush, rivaling only the level 4 interior in the (Macungie production) MH Ultra-Liner and RWI Super-Liner.

KS,please feel free to correct me,but I think I remember National Freight Inc. Vineland,NJ made one of the largest single orders of F-Models? (at the time 1974-75?) I forget how many, but I believe they were sold through my local Mack dealer (Horner Mack sales) also of Vineland, NJ.....................................Mark

January1974MackAd-vi.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

You're speaking of the Hayward-assembled Mack Western interior in the RWL/RWS and RL/RS. That was among the highest trim levels ever available and extremely plush, rivaling only the level 4 interior in the (Macungie production) MH Ultra-Liner and RWI Super-Liner.

From a 1978 RWS brochure.

post-146-0-74416000-1391351782_thumb.jpg post-146-0-78551100-1391351759_thumb.jpg

FW

• Like 1

On 2/1/2014 at 8:01 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Matlack, like Chemical Leaman, Air Products and Overnite, was a major Mack customer.

But that's no R-model, that's an RS Value-Liner, an extremely different truck from the R and my personal favorite.

What is the difference between the R model and the RS Value-Liner? They look the same to me.

79 U

237 5 sp

What is the difference between the R and the Value-Liner (RS)? They look the same to me.

The R and RS/RL both used variations of Mack's type CA49 cab, but even then, most of the part numbers of a "groomed" cab were completely different as the cabs shared little in trim.

The entire chassis, cab mounting and hood, for example, were completely different. The hood was shorter. The front fenders were attached to the frame rather than as an integral part of the hood. Altogether, very impressive engineering.

The Mack "Value-Liner", life just doesn't get much better than that.

Worthy of mention, the part numbers used by the Mack subsidiary Mack Western in Hayward California were unique to Mack's west coast models. Even after west coast production was relocated to Macungie, the Mack Western 5-digit part numbering system continued to be used for the Cruise-Liner, Super-Liner and Value-Liner.

What has become of the Mack Hayward CA plant??

BULLHUSK

Once located at 21301 Cloud Way, just west of Corsair Blvd, it is now used by Myers Container (http://www.myerscontainer.com/contact-us.aspx).

Mack Street and Bulldog Way remain as reminders.

https://maps.google....ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

FYI: The Gillig municipal transit bus plant is in Hayward, south of the former Mack location at 25800 Clawiter Road (http://www.gillig.com/).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/2/2014 at 10:37 PM, fifth wheel said:

From a 1978 RWS brochure.

FW

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I didn't realize you could ever get a Superliner with Mack beige interior (like a regular R model) as this color swatch seems to indicate.  Has anyone ever seen an RW with beige interior?  If so, was that a Hayward-only option?

Thanks, kscarbel2.  Does anyone have a pic of a Superliner 1 with beige interior like a regular R model?  I always kinda thought that was the sharpest color for a Mack interior, even though it was used in all their more pedestrian models.